Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Model Spyders w/Audio System Noise Trouble

Curious how many others have noticed these issues and if you found a resolution to what's noted below. I'd like your help so I can forward this to BRP so that they can create a service bulletin to address this for all who are affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    After the latest software update was performed awhile ago, I've noticed in addition to the aforementioned issues that anytime the steering bar is turned left/right, static noise emanates from the speakers while in FM station is broadcasting. I brought in my '18 F3 Ltd to have the dealer service department take a look at this issue plus a few other things of concern. In the meantime I have a brand new '18 RT Ltd on loan which also makes the same identical staticky noise through the speakers when the steering is turned left/right. I've asked the dealer to relay this to BRP because I'm betting more '18 Spyders with the new digital dash cluster likely has this same issue.

>Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
    1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
    2) the FM tuner signal seem is quite staticky and
    3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

I got the update done and the speakers still pop and such.
    I'm going to take it to dealer and complain get them covered under warranty. maybe if CanAm has to start replacing speaker they will fix the issue.
    I though about upgrade but the price of these machines the radios should be awesome.
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Has anyone compared the part numbers for the 17-18 amplifiers?

Spyder Garage

As I understand the ‘17 model year Spyders have two amps but the ‘18/‘19 model Spyders only has one. They’re not the same nor are interchangeable. I’ve looked into this extensively. The newer Spyders also cannot use aftermarket amps as they can damage the head unit which is part of the new digital display dash cluster.

There’s an entire discussion thread over here about the speaker crackling issue that you might also find of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
    Has anyone compared the part numbers for the 17-18 amplifiers?
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Speakers unfortunately aren’t likely the culprit of the crackling you’re hearing if all of them are popping. If it’s anything similarly you’re experiencing that’s being actively discussed like many of us have been describing in another thread over here it’s a bit more complex. . Depending on what your Spyder is doing, an amp replacement could resolve the issue if it’s similar to what owner Skups shared in the other thread. If it’s different and like what I and many others are experiencing, this is far more complicated to resolve. I have included two videos in the other thread for owners to view to see if this is what their Spyders are producing. If you’re is doing exactly the same whenever you turn your handblebar/steering or the engine fan kicks on, then it’s a bigger issue. I’ve found multiple Spyders I’ve ridden that do exactly the same.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Wonder if using an aftermarket amp using speaker level inputs would work. So you pick up the signal after the factory amp and before the speakers. Shouldn't hurt anything on the bike. Would allow you to run the volume low enough to keep the stock amp clean - and pass on a clean signal to the speakers.

There are products that do similar on cars but w/ more features, but space is an issue on these. (mosconi, rockford 360 ect)

Has anyone measured the output of the amps as far as wattage, and/or used an o-scope on them to see if there's something visible on the waveform? I've used a cheap o-scope on audio installs that seems to work well - jye tech 112a https://accudiy.com/products/dso112a...th-touch-panel

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wonder if using an aftermarket amp using speaker level inputs would work. So you pick up the signal after the factory amp and before the speakers. Shouldn't hurt anything on the bike. Would allow you to run the volume low enough to keep the stock amp clean - and pass on a clean signal to the speakers.

There are products that do similar on cars but w/ more features, but space is an issue on these. (mosconi, rockford 360 ect)

Has anyone measured the output of the amps as far as wattage, and/or used an o-scope on them to see if there's something visible on the waveform? I've used a cheap o-scope on audio installs that seems to work well - jye tech 112a https://accudiy.com/products/dso112a...th-touch-panel
    YOU SHOULD READ POST #29 ABOVE …… It's very important ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have not notice the crackling ,but the station reception sucks .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    YOU SHOULD READ POST #29 ABOVE …… It's very important ….. Mike
    I did read it, and not sure what you're getting at. If it's about the amps causing damage - they will not cause damage if they are run at the speaker level - rather than trying to replace the factory ones. The factory equipment would have no notice of any change.

Factory HU => factory amp => aftermarket amp => speaker... Most aftermarket amps do have 'speaker level' inputs and can be run that way. It would allow a softer use of the factory equipment (lower volume control) which should then feed a cleaner signal to the aftermarket unit.

There are some extremely small aftermarket amps that would fit well in a motorcycle - some around the size of a pack of cigarettes due to the newer efficient topologies.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did read it, and not sure what you're getting at. If it's about the amps causing damage - they will not cause damage if they are run at the speaker level - rather than trying to replace the factory ones. The factory equipment would have no notice of any change.

Factory HU => factory amp => aftermarket amp => speaker... Most aftermarket amps do have 'speaker level' inputs and can be run that way. It would allow a softer use of the factory equipment (lower volume control) which should then feed a cleaner signal to the aftermarket unit.

There are some extremely small aftermarket amps that would fit well in a motorcycle - some around the size of a pack of cigarettes due to the newer efficient topologies.
    OK, good luck …. if the OEM radio fries …. that aren't that expensive …. about a $ 1000.0 or so ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

After my '18 Spyder F3L spending nearly the past four months at the dealer, my Spyder’s audio system is mostly fixed. I'll explain in more detail below.

For any 2018 (and possibly some 2019) Spyder owners who are affected and seeking a resolution for this audio system flaw here’s how this was resolved.

BRP finally authorised and shipped to my dealer a new amplifier and an EMI (electro magnetic interference) ferrite filter. My service tech clamped the EMI ferrite filter onto the amp’s wire “A” which is the main power and ground wire leading into the new amp. This prevents the power and ground wire from leaking any electrical interference out of the amplifier and to the adjacent speaker output wire “B”. Not once did the speakers emit any crackling on the 100 mile ride home from the dealer last Friday. That's finally fixed!

This was a two year battle for me against BRP who refused to address the issue no matter the list of facts I had presented. BRP stated to me this was normal design since all 2018 Spyder models perform similarly. I can attest to this fact with the four brand new 2018 RTL loaners I had which also produced the identical crackling noise. Some of the owners here in the forums have corroborated they've heard this also within their own machines. However, BRP also stated that the 2019 Spyders were no different than the 2018 year models aside from some trim and colour changes. Yet the one brand new F3L I took out for a test drive didn’t produce any crackling noise but still suffered from low volume output. Unfortunately, the latter is still present from my Spyder.

Anyhow, I’m truly grateful my dealer team was empathetic to my plight. They fought on my behalf (not without me being annoyingly but diplomatically persistent) for these past two years to get this audio system flaw mostly resolved. They made sure I could continue enjoy riding while I was without my Spyder by supplying me with four brand new Spyder RTL's for use. That showed me they truly care about their customers not only being happy but will go to bat for them as well.
    Last edited by Seattle; 11-13-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typo
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")