Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Weak Audio Output on 2018 Spyder's w/newly designed digital display models

Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
    1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
    2) the radio signal seems to have a harder time locking onto a station signal or is quite staticky and
    3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

Crossposting from 2018 Audio System SUCKS!
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Did you get the latest update done yet?I know now my auto volume works much better and only have to turn the volume up approx 60% of what I had to before.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably my fault... With eight years of riding with the volume at MAX (and a blown-out speaker...): somebody must have complained to the engineers...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Audio update

I did but unfortunately after the update it created the noticeable popping/clipping in all speakers and sort of fixed the attenuating ambient volume control which didn't work prior to the update. However on the latter it still doesn't work very well nor did it improve the volume output any differently.

I don't know if I have a defective audio system since the only thing that's consistent on the other new 2018 F3 models on the dealer floor is the volume output. I don't know if the other issues exist in them nor does anyone else there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    Did you get the latest update done yet?I know now my auto volume works much better and only have to turn the volume up approx 60% of what I had to before.
    Bill
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would consider going to the dealer and comparing yours to another one on the showroom floor. If they're the same then something changed but if yours is not as sound then get the dealer to fix it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Comparison

I did the comparison against a brand new identical models of the 2018 F3 Limited and a 2017 F3 Limited a couple months ago after my audio system was updated. Both 2018's were identical. However the 2017's volume output was significantly far less to produce the same level of output. BRP has stated to the dealer owner they do not see any reason to fix this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I would consider going to the dealer and comparing yours to another one on the showroom floor. If they're the same then something changed but if yours is not as sound then get the dealer to fix it.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Default Software Update Causes Static in Audio System

After the latest software update was performed awhile ago, I've noticed in addition to the aforementioned issues that anytime the steering bar is turned left/right, static noise emanates from the speakers while in FM station is broadcasting. I brought in my '18 F3 Ltd to have the dealer service department take a look at this issue plus a few other things of concern. In the meantime I have a brand new '18 RT Ltd on loan which also makes the same identical staticky noise through the speakers when the steering is turned left/right. I've asked the dealer to relay this to BRP because I'm betting more '18 Spyders with the new digital dash cluster likely has this same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Has anyone specifically only with the '18 model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
    1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
    2) the radio signal seems to have a harder time locking onto a station signal or is quite staticky and
    3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

Crossposting from 2018 Audio System SUCKS!
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

A month or so ago this topic was discussed in depth ..... from all that has been written about the 2018 F-3 radio system ...... I think the same BRP engineer who SCREWED UP THE 2014 & later DESS MODULE was also assigned to FIX the... NOT BROKEN ... 2016 & 2017 F-3 radio .....because now the 2018 doesn't work to well ..... I have a 2014 RT which I up-graded to JBL 2-ohm speakers, and they will blow me off the bike at full volume ..... I am familiar with the radio's on the 2016 F-3 and imho it was almost as good as mine ..... But like I said BRP has a BAD habit of FIXING things that aren't broke ....maybe it's a Canadian thing ( PS I like Canadians but call a spade a spade, sorry BRP ) ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-23-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT audio cracking and popping during turns

I am have the same issues with my 2018 RT after the software upgrade. Turning either left or right causing loud popping in speakers in FM radio mode. 2017 audio much better and better sounding.

Spyder Garage

My experience on my 2018 F3L.

FM radio. When parked and engine not running. The audio is good for a motorcycle. Start the engine and the reception gets worse. Depending on how strong the station is. It could be just static. Driving down the road the station just fades in and out. The FM radio is just unusable while riding. Complained to the dealer at first service. They where unable to make any improvement. They did try wrapping the antenna wire in foil tape for extra shielding. To me it did not help.

BT audio from my phone. Output on the Spyder speakers. That works very well for the most part. Sounds good when parked. Sounds good when riding. Some mp3 tracks have a higher volume than others so I have adjust the volume for that sometimes. I have the auto volume set to high. But it would be better if the auto volume at speed was a little more yet. When the usb cable is plugged into the phone and the BRP connect app has started up. The audio cuts out for milliseconds at a time. But if the phone is not plugged in it does not seem to do that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

FM radio. When parked and engine not running. The audio is good for a motorcycle. Start the engine and the reception gets worse. Depending on how strong the station is. It could be just static. Driving down the road the station just fades in and out. The FM radio is just unusable while riding. Complained to the dealer at first service. They where unable to make any improvement. They did try wrapping the antenna wire in foil tape for extra shielding. To me it did not help.

BT audio from my phone. Output on the Spyder speakers. That works very well for the most part. Sounds good when parked. Sounds good when riding. Some mp3 tracks have a higher volume than others so I have adjust the volume for that sometimes. I have the auto volume set to high. But it would be better if the auto volume at speed was a little more yet. When the usb cable is plugged into the phone and the BRP connect app has started up. The audio cuts out for milliseconds at a time. But if the phone is not plugged in it does not seem to do that.
    If you now have LED headlites , this could be your problem ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default NOT LED related

Followed up with this tidbit to see if it in fact it was my upgraded LED lighting causing the static; it's not. I have on loan a brand new '18 RT Limited with a stock setup that's not using LED lighting and it makes the exact identical static noises through the audio system whenever the steering is turned left/right and occasionally has popping in all the speakers just like my '18 F3 Limited. This particular issue occurred immediately following the recent software update so my dealer is bringing this info to BRP's in hopes they'll resolve it in future software updates. However the software update may or may not resolve the low volume output issue which may require a different amp.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you now have LED headlites , this could be your problem ......Mike
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

My experience with the output is quite similar to yours through the Spyder's speakers. Sounds good while engine is off but barely audible at cruise above 40mph. The ambient setting is a hit or miss; sometimes it works and other times not at all. The second software update supposedly was to address this issue but it isn't quite fine tuned well enough to be functionally notable. The BRP Connect feature stopped working on my F3 after the update so I hope this is resolved in a future software update.

Thanks for sharing your experience so that I can forward this onward to BRP via my dealer. Please if you can, do the same with your local dealer. The more people bring this to BRP's attention the more they will address it rather than from one squeaky wheel. We need a lot of squeakers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

My experience with the output is quite similar to yours through the Spyder's speakers. Sounds good while engine is off but barely audible at cruise above 40mph. The ambient setting is a hit or miss; sometimes it works and other times not at all. The second software update supposedly was to address this issue but it isn't quite fine tuned well enough to be functionally notable. The BRP Connect feature stopped working on my F3 after the update so I hope this is resolved in a future software update.

Thanks for sharing your experience so that I can forward this onward to BRP via my dealer. Please if you can, do the same with your local dealer. The more people bring this to BRP's attention the more they will address it rather than from one squeaky wheel. We need a lot of squeakers out there.
    The FM radio is my issue. Basically useless. Dealer looked at it 2 weeks ago. Tried some stuff. Wrapped the antenna cable in aluminum foil tape for extra shielding. No better. Funny thing is I can unscrew my antenna and the reception is no better or worse. I found this out because on older models, bad reception was caused by too much loctite on the antenna threads. So I checked. Yes way too much on mine. But after wire brushing it off. Reception is no better.

I am up the dash firmware of 13.20. Connect app still works. Not sure why yours does not. I don't use the connect app very often. If I lock my phone before plugging in the usb cable. The connect app won't run. The BT audio then plays perfect. Without any cutouts. Travel down the highway at 60 with the volume at about 70%. Works great. Have to manually lower the volume to 50% at traffic lights or slow speeds. Because the auto volume does not give enough difference.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-28-2018 at 08:50 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The radio receptions sucks ,have to be almost under a tower to get stations .Why is it so poor ,i can take my truck or jeep way back in God's country and still have great reception .Is there a way to fix this .
    Bike is a 2018 RTL.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Default Engine Fan Elicits Noise Through Audio

While riding the loaner '18 RT Limited on errands in stop and go traffic yesterday, anytime the engine fan activated the same staticky noise would emanate through the audio system speakers similarly when the steering handlebar was turned hard over left or right. Dealer has been notified and will relay this to BRP engineers.

When attempting to contact BRP direct, the party I spoke to stated that if anyone has any problems they must tell their dealers representation who will relay this information through the proper channels back to BRP engineering. They will not document this info unless it's via the dealer.

So far from what I understand, there doesn't appear that enough people have contacted their dealers so BRP engineering can resolve this issue for the affected Spyder units.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Volume seems ok on my 2018 rt limited, but i have volume indicator at approx. 70%. Have no comparison to give opinion. I have noticed that at stops while idling, the audio gets distorted. Maybe from vibration?

Spyder Garage

This is beginning to sound like a grounding issue to me; but what do I know.

Spyder Garage

Now that winter hibernation has ended, I'd like to revive this discussion thread in hopes someone has found a solution to the issue quoted which appears to be occurring in all of the 2018 model Spyders. I've yet had a chance to check the 2019 models to see if BRP fixed it to chase that solution. At least the weak volume output seems to have, for the most part, resolved itself after hitting 1200 miles last year. The output still not as loud compared to the former model year Spyders but at least I don't have to crank the volume output to 80% to barely hear it.

While riding the loaner '18 RT Limited on errands in stop and go traffic yesterday, anytime the engine fan activated the same staticky noise would emanate through the audio system speakers similarly when the steering handlebar was turned hard over left or right. Dealer has been notified and will relay this to BRP engineers.

When attempting to contact BRP direct, the party I spoke to stated that if anyone has any problems they must tell their dealers representation who will relay this information through the proper channels back to BRP engineering. They will not document this info unless it's via the dealer.

So far from what I understand, there doesn't appear that enough people have contacted their dealers so BRP engineering can resolve this issue for the affected Spyder units.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last weekend I was having phone cable issues and the phone wouldn't connect so I used FM radio all the way down I-5 in the central California valley into Bakersfield and the radio was great and the outside speakers are loud. Getting close to Bakersfield I had to change stations and got another nice one all the way through and up into Tehachapi. For some reason my FM works great. Figured out the broken cable and the dash with 20.8 update, is really nice. If your headset isn't connected to the dash the system will put out through the outside speakers and the GPS is so loud I muted it so as not to tell the world where I was going. Gonna have to work on that.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I just purchased my F3 Limited and agree the output sux and I all so have clipping.
    I’m going to take it to dealer cause the trunk lids is misaligned and the hook on back side left does not engage unless I push it in. I will complain about the audio. Not sure what firmware I have but will post tomorrow.
    I was going to research better speakers but I see a trend here...
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I hope you get more answers than I've been able to in this year-long quest. We need as many people to report this issue to their dealers so BRP will hopefully address it. Unfortunately the latest software update failed to resolve the issue for me and for the 'brand new 18 RT Limited loaner I had borrowed for a couple weeks.

If your dealer will allow, would you check the new F3's to see if they produce the identical issues I've shared in my original post. The low volume output and bass clipping are two issues (you can distinguish audibly how much quieter it is next to a '17 and older F3). I wonder if your Spyder also suffers from the static issue as I've found in all the new Spyders with the digital dash cluster as well.

Edit to add: Congrats on your new ride! Looks gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by QuadRAGIN View Post
    I just purchased my F3 Limited and agree the output sux and I all so have clipping.
    I’m going to take it to dealer cause the trunk lids is misaligned and the hook on back side left does not engage unless I push it in. I will complain about the audio. Not sure what firmware I have but will post tomorrow.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Here are m version numbers
    BRP SW v710006589
    GSS SW v013.20 CSS SW v013.20
    HW Version: G06
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

You have version 13.20, in your dash. You need to get it updated to 20.8.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RTL with V20.8. I recently installed an XM satellite receiver in the glove box. Although the audio quality is very good, I have to run it at maximum to be able to hear it at speeds above 50 mph.