Spyder Garage

Default BRP HITCH VERTICAL PLAY (looseness)

The trailer hitch on my RT had about 1/2 inch vertical play, rocking on the swingarm. When I removed it to replace the tire, I saw that one of the plastic shims on the right side was missing. After measuring the proper thickness and installing the shim I made, all the play was gone. Just a heads up when anyone else notices their hitch is loose in the vertical direction. I also had a fair amount of wear on the hitch thru bolt because of the movement.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. My wife an I have been contemplating adding hitch and trailer for our longer trips planned in the future.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sort of related. Just this past week my brother told me about keeping a few composite door shims around, for just these kinds of problems. You know how draw bar receiver hitches rattle on your trucks? Stick a door shim in the gap between the draw bar and the receiver.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default A Great Hitch Option

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. My wife an I have been contemplating adding hitch and trailer for our longer trips planned in the future.
    I would seriously check this one out. What I like about it:
    -- very heavy duty
    -- all one piece, so no ability for it to come loose or flex
    -- no plastic shims - machined to fit snugly and has a locking castle nut
    -- IMO, its much better looking than others.

You can check out the site and get more detail and install videos, and customer service from Pierre is great.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...thout-harness/
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Spyder Garage

I have 2018 RTL with OEM BRP Hitch #705 203 210. Just got back from a trip running my Freedom trailer and noticed hitch assembly (ball is tight) can move the up and down 1/2" - 3/4" on the swing arm so I took it off and all the shims are still in place with no wear on hitch axle. I am stumped that this play has developed and surprised more folks don't have any concerns for this. The shims do not appear to have wear either. When this hitch was installed new I never noticed any up and down play so What am I missing? Thanks for any insight or reasons this hitch isn't mounted rock solid.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

The shims compress. Any plastic supply house can sell you HTPE sheets in 1mm or 2 mm thickness. Pry out the stock shims, trace, cut new shims, use contact cement to glue in place.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I wonder why BRP decided to incorporate shims into their hitch? Could it be that they wanted some movement to occur?

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The shims compress. Any plastic supply house can sell you HTPE sheets in 1mm or 2 mm thickness. Pry out the stock shims, trace, cut new shims, use contact cement to glue in place.
    For a $700.00+ hitch BRP has nothing documented that I can find for this type of maintenance. I hope other Spyder riders with this #705 203 210 hitch are checking for vertical free play.
    On Facebook this video explains the movement.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/144548...0211328619896/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    For a $700.00+ hitch BRP has nothing documented that I can find for this type of maintenance. I hope other Spyder riders with this #705 203 210 hitch are checking for vertical free play.
    If you are using anybody's hitch to pull with I would think it would only be common sense to check for play before each use. I do that on a car, truck, motorcycle, etc. Not rocket science, grab it and give it a tug. Hear a racket or feel movement, check it out. Picked up this habit as a teenager. It has served me well over the years.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If you are using anybody's hitch to pull with I would think it would only be common sense to check for play before each use. I do that on a car, truck, motorcycle, etc. Not rocket science, grab it and give it a tug. Hear a racket or feel movement, check it out. Picked up this habit as a teenager. It has served me well over the years.
    I agree! That is how I discovered this.
    Looking for others having same issue and what caused this, what they ended up doing to correct this looseness. Possibility exists that someone may have stood on my trailer tongue??
    brackets look 90 degree.

Spyder Garage

The Show Chrome hitch has set screws to adjust out the free play. I like that it was adjustable but I did not like that screw had such a small point of contact with the swing arm. So that is not ideal either. So for the OE hitch I would think the best solution would be to replace the shims with new ones as cptjam suggested.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    I agree! That is how I discovered this.
    Looking for others having same issue and what caused this, what they ended up doing to correct this looseness. Possibility exists that someone may have stood on my trailer tongue??
    brackets look 90 degree.
    Not sure standing on the tongue would cause it but I bet accidently backing up on a curb might, but that would bend something not wear out the wear pads. Would think it would take a lot of miles to wear the pads. It will be interesting if you can ever find the cause.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange