Spyder Garage

Default Axle Nut on 2016 RT

A little background first. I removed the plastic protectors underneath the engine. No problem with anything. Went for a long ride this weekend. When I came home I smelled what appeared to be burning rubber. I check the belt again the rear pulley. I can see where it has worn the paint off. I ain't as strong as I used to be, but how the heck do you bust the axle nut without busting myself? I want to try an re-align.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a 25" HF breaker bar to loosen mine. They are upwards of 160 lb.ft. I do believe.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

To start you need two 36mm wrenches and/or sockets. I ordered this 18" long big boy 36mm end wrench and have a 36mm socket for the oil filter. I have used my long handle torque wrench for jobs that need more leverage or I have a pipe that fits over my breaker bar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Possible is correct re torque setting, Bangorbob. 160lbft. They upped it in around 2013 from 90 lbft. I needed a looooong breaker bar, and had to buy a new torque wrench.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have a torque wrench that goes over 160 lb-ft get a 36 mm extension wrench. They're available as VW or HD wrenches. With the extension you can easily get 160 lb-ft torque on the axle nut by taking the wrench to something like 110 to 120 lb-ft torque. Do a search here, or on Google, for torque multiplier wrench.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. I ordered a 36mm box wrench and give it a try.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need two wrenches, as the bolt will spin if you only turn one end. But I assume you already have the socket.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    You'll need two wrenches, as the bolt will spin if you only turn one end. But I assume you already have the socket.
    Thanks for the info. My brain must have went blank for a while. I returned the 36mm socket NOT THINKING that the axle will turn. I'll just go buy it again. I love getting older as it gives me an excuse to act dumber. (I talking about me-nobody else)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, at some point you get the joy of solitary Easter egg hunts, because you can hide your own eggs.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

So true.

Spyder Garage

I thought I heard people saying

The older you get the wiser you get, not dumber.

Cheers.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those are old people you're hearing that from, and they forgot how it was supposed to worded.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Thanks for the info. I love getting older as it gives me an excuse to act dumber. (I talking about me-nobody else)
    Hahahaha..... well, you could easily have been talking about ME, Bangorbob

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red