Spyder Garage

Default EVANS WATERLESS COOLANT

Has anyone used Evans Waterless Coolant in their Spyder ?
    It has a higher boiling point and won't clog up your cooling
    system with corrosion like water based coolant and it's good
    for the life of the vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

if you do convert let us know how it works. The conversion process is a bit complicated and the idea of having to carry their product with me on trips kinda keeps me away. I use blends and water coolant mixtures so I can always find something on the backroads should I need...has good write up and looks like a great product and might use it if I stayed on the main roads...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds interesting...
    ...But if the conversion over to it, is that involved; I think that I'll continue to "dance with the Girl that I brought to the Prom."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It sounds interesting...
    ...But if the conversion over to it, is that involved; I think that I'll continue to "dance with the Girl that I brought to the Prom."

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Saw it talked about this past weekend on one of the Power Block shows, forget which one, and thought it sounded very interesting as well..I believe it was on Extreme 4x4.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

It does have a higher boiling point BUT, it also has a lower heat capacity so it has to operate at a higher temp to carry the same heat load.

It may last longer, but it will not make for a cooler running bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS ON THIS

BRP is very specific about the non-compatibility with their ORANGE anti-freeze.....now I don't always believe everything BRP has to say Buuuuuuuut on this one I urge caution because of the warranty issues..........and to best of my knowledge the running temp of the engine has more to do with the THERMO-STAT then WHAT coolant you are running........ie you could have ICE WATER in the radiator and your engine would / should be at the same running temp as it normally would..........JMHO.....Mike ...............PS if you have a Spyder that over-heats fix the real problem, don't put a BANDAID on it or in it.....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-28-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if you do convert let us know how it works. The conversion process is a bit complicated and the idea of having to carry their product with me on trips kinda keeps me away. I use blends and water coolant mixtures so I can always find something on the backroads should I need...has good write up and looks like a great product and might use it if I stayed on the main roads...
    I'm using it In my ktm dirt bike and it work very well the process to switch over isn't that bad you have to put there pre mix in first which absorbs any water left in the system all arguements over Evans seem to revolve around it's cooling capacity ,the big advantage I see is that it doesn't boil which causes you lose coolant then you boil easier which is what my ktm would do in slow trail use with no fan ,but before everyone jumps all over me with arguements about less cooling capacity consider the biggest benifits of Evans is that water is corrosive and causing all kinds of slow death inside from crust to hardening of hoses and rubber parts plus you don't have to change it like regular anti freeze the arguements of having to carry different coolant isn't a problem since it doesn't boil over causing coolant loss plus you can put water with it in an emergency it just lowers the boiling point the stuff works
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

If your engine is boiling coolant, the anti-freeze is not your problem. It should not boil.

My spyder never boils the coolant. Even my 2013 RT as hot as it was when new, NEVER boiled over the coolant.

Water mixed with appropriate antifreeze is NOT corrosive and in fact does protect metals from corrosion very well. It does wear out in time. The Evans does last longer but is quite expensive and does make engines run hotter if they were already having cooling issues.

Evans is a great product for vehicles in a collection or museum that need to go long periods without use or maintenance. its not a great solution for performance or normal use vehicles. If it were, at least SOME OEMs would be using it. They do not because it significantly increases the size requirement of the cooling system. (on an existing system it reduces its capacity).
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-29-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If your engine is boiling coolant, the anti-freeze is not your problem. It should not boil.

My spyder never boils the coolant. Even my 2013 RT as hot as it was when new, NEVER boiled over the coolant.

Water mixed with appropriate antifreeze is NOT corrosive and in fact does protect metals from corrosion very well. It does wear out in time. The Evans does last longer but is quite expensive and does make engines run hotter if they were already having cooling issues.

Evans is a great product for vehicles in a collection or museum that need to go long periods without use or maintenance. its not a great solution for performance or normal use vehicles. If it were, at least SOME OEMs would be using it. They do not because it significantly increases the size requirement of the cooling system. (on an existing system it reduces its capacity).
    My spyder never boils ktm s are race bikes with no fans and are designed to to be moving when ridden slow and technical they will over heat and boil I put a fan kit on ran it then went to Evans also the fan kicks on less with the Evans the argument against Evans always revolves around the fact that straight water out cools antifreeze but what happens with the higher boiling point you don't get the little air bubbles on the cylinder walls that don't transfer heat as well the higher boiling point stops this and transfers the heat better ,the big trucks are sometimes running Evans and it is paying off because the fans kick on less and increases mileage a fraction and add to the fact that you don't have to drain and flush add to the savings,the extra cost is very minor in something that hold a few quarts like my dirt bike ,as far as the oem's not using it they look for every penny to cut and they want to use something you can buy any where if you don't think they pinch penny's just look at our fine tires and vacuum hoses they put on our spyders,it's water that's corrosive not the anti freeze if you don't believe me look and touch you corky in your toilet tank it's rubber and is rotting every day or look at the rubber in your faucet stems
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    My spyder never boils ktm s are race bikes with no fans and are designed to to be moving when ridden slow and technical they will over heat and boil I put a fan kit on ran it then went to Evans also the fan kicks on less with the Evans the argument against Evans always revolves around the fact that straight water out cools antifreeze but what happens with the higher boiling point you don't get the little air bubbles on the cylinder walls that don't transfer heat as well the higher boiling point stops this and transfers the heat better ,the big trucks are sometimes running Evans and it is paying off because the fans kick on less and increases mileage a fraction and add to the fact that you don't have to drain and flush add to the savings,the extra cost is very minor in something that hold a few quarts like my dirt bike ,as far as the oem's not using it they look for every penny to cut and they want to use something you can buy any where if you don't think they pinch penny's just look at our fine tires and vacuum hoses they put on our spyders,it's water that's corrosive not the anti freeze if you don't believe me look and touch you corky in your toilet tank it's rubber and is rotting every day or look at the rubber in your faucet stems
    Newer plumbing fixtures use EPDM rubber for seals and ceramic seats....they last MANY years. Same for high quality tank valves. But that has nothing to do with galvanic corrosion set up by water. EPDM rubber is also why radiator hoses now routinely last 10 yrs or 100,000 miles rather than just a few years as they did in the distant past. Has nothing to do with corossion. That was chemical breakdown of the rubber.

All major antifreeze and even just water wetter inhibit the corrosion for a time. As I said, Evans does this longer...not forever but longer.

localized boiling at cylinder walls is called cavitation and yes some diesel engines do indeed have a problem with it. However its related to the relatively thin walls and very high compression ratios, not strictly temperature. It can happen in the water pumps as well. As long as the cooling system operates well below the boiling point, the cylinder wall and head temps should come no were close to boiling point or cavitation.

The problems with your KTM are because you are using it in ways the cooling system was not designed for. This is NOT the case for Spyders or most all street cars.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Newer plumbing fixtures use EPDM rubber for seals and ceramic seats....they last MANY years. Same for high quality tank valves. But that has nothing to do with galvanic corrosion set up by water. EPDM rubber is also why radiator hoses now routinely last 10 yrs or 100,000 miles rather than just a few years as they did in the distant past. Has nothing to do with corossion. That was chemical breakdown of the rubber.

All major antifreeze and even just water wetter inhibit the corrosion for a time. As I said, Evans does this longer...not forever but longer.

localized boiling at cylinder walls is called cavitation and yes some diesel engines do indeed have a problem with it. However its related to the relatively thin walls and very high compression ratios, not strictly temperature. It can happen in the water pumps as well. As long as the cooling system operates well below the boiling point, the cylinder wall and head temps should come no were close to boiling point or cavitation.

The problems with your KTM are because you are using it in ways the cooling system was not designed for. This is NOT the case for Spyders or most all street cars.
    My ktm has no problem boiling with Evans and as I said the fan kicks on much less now air bubbles at boiling isn't just a diesel thing look at the pan on your stove as the water boils air bubbles everywhere ,I don't know about your water but I've tried every kind of synthetic flapper they make in my water tanks and they still go bad well before 10 years ask the radiator guys and they will tell you that the new anti freeze breaks down and needs changed every 2 years I'll take much longer changes any time everyone use what they want but I can tell you from personal experience that Evans does what they claim and it's works
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

My ktm has no problem boiling with Evans and as I said the fan kicks on much less now air bubbles at boiling isn't just a diesel thing look at the pan on your stove as the water boils air bubbles everywhere ,I don't know about your water but I've tried every kind of synthetic flapper they make in my water tanks and they still go bad well before 10 years ask the radiator guys and they will tell you that the new anti freeze breaks down and needs changed every 2 years I'll take much longer changes any time everyone use what they want but I can tell you from personal experience that Evans does what they claim and it's works

Quit buying cheap made in china crap from home depot and you can find good quality parts. Try OEM parts from Sloan or American Standard. The tank valves in our two bathroom toilets are Sloan, were OEM originals when installed in 2003 during our house rebuild. Still there and work fine. Used to replace plumbing parts nearly every year at our vacation house in Colorado, finally bought good parts a few years ago and it all stopped.

Still, this has NOTHING to do with corrosion.

Glad the evans works for you. Does nothing I need or would benefit from and would prove a detriment in several. Nor most other Spyder owners. The OEM coolant used in the Spyders and most modern vehicles has no trouble lasting 5 years with NO corrosion in the system. Often can go much longer if its tested annually.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-30-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quit buying cheap made in china crap from home depot and you can find good quality parts. Try OEM parts from Sloan or American Standard. The tank valves in our two bathroom toilets are Sloan, were OEM originals when installed in 2003 during our house rebuild. Still there and work fine. Used to replace plumbing parts nearly every year at our vacation house in Colorado, finally bought good parts a few years ago and it all stopped.

Still, this has NOTHING to do with corrosion.

Glad the evans works for you. Does nothing I need or would benefit from and would prove a detriment in several. Nor most other Spyder owners. The OEM coolant used in the Spyders and most modern vehicles has no trouble lasting 5 years with NO corrosion in the system. Often can go much longer if its tested annually.
    the OP ask if anyone has tried Evans I responded and said I have and with good results and was able to compare to regular anti freeze the fan kicks on much less now I'm not sure how those who haven't used it can say they know the results that's fine I'm not a chemist I just see something work and higher boiling point means less pressure on the system and hoses,I've repaired appliances for 30 years and what ever you call it water takes it's toll on "rubber" parts from the inside get an old washer fill hose and cut it open and you will see it hard and brittle on the inside don't know if corrosive is the right word for it but the water does something to the inside that the air isn't doing to the outside
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by rsbargiel View Post
    Has anyone used Evans Waterless Coolant in their Spyder ?
    It has a higher boiling point and won't clog up your cooling
    system with corrosion like water based coolant and it's good
    for the life of the vehicle.
    I used it on my 2013 RS-SM5 Spyder. I noticed that the machine ran slightly hotter, and also since I only kept the trike for a year afterwards, I can't say whether or not it's worth the money. It does claim to have anti-corrosion properties for up to 20 years! The flushing solution, which you need, and the coolant itself can can cost close to $100 total. On my current trike, an F3-S SE6, I am using Engine Ice.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

I do believe this is the longest sentence in forum history!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

How in the world did I just reply to an almost 3 yr old thread!! ( it came up in a search....) Sorry!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    How in the world did I just reply to an almost 3 yr old thread!! ( it came up in a search....) Sorry!
    And 3 years later it still holds the record!