Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Windshield Arm Replacement from CanAmSpyderAccessories - Review

I posted this as a reply to another thread, but am putting it here just to aid in the search function for persons interested in the RT Windshield Arm replacement

It has been asked if the CanAmSpyderAccessories.com arm is equal to the one from NoBoot. Well, here is my report. (Caused by the breaking of the support arm on my 2011 RT-S)

It seems that Ron (NOBOOT) either does not have any more, or maybe they are several weeks out, and the eBay listing is expired, so I went with the SpyderAccessories version because of the turnaround time. It is more expensive (200 + shipping, but I had it in just a few days.

It DOES NOT COME WITH THE WEDGES TO REMOVE THE GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes the install a lot more difficult to say the least. Getting the bike apart is not a problem, but getting that gear off of the shaft was nothing short of a monumental task. To start with, the head of the small screw at the end of the shaft broke off as soon as I tried to remove it. There is no information that says if that screw slips inside the gear and into a threaded part of the shaft or if the threads are also in the plastic part of the gear as well, but the gear did not move no matter what i tried. So I drilled out the screw, and still had no joy in getting the gear off. I tried to use the original arm as a "ram" to force off the pulley. I tried several ways to get some force the gear, but nothing seem to get it moving. Finally, I applied some heat and used a "punch" in the hole where the screw was and was able to drive the shaft out of the gear assembly. Not fun, and more than a bit nerve wracking. If I destroyed the thing, then I was looking at multiple hundreds of dollars for a new unit plus the cost of the new arm.

Re-assembly was not too bad, but..... The gear is shaped like the hex shaft inside, and fits just as tight when replacing it as it did taking it off. I think the screw is unnecessary (I hope), so I did not try to drill and tap the shaft but just pressed the gear back on the shaft. The shaft housing has a capped end, so there is nowhere for the gear to go even if does shift. Time will tell!!

The new arm does not allow for the use of the small plastic washers at the windshield end. No big deal as the new part fits better inside the support frame without the washers than the old one does with them!! The new arm also does not use the roll pins to hold it on the shaft. Instead, it uses a set screw with an allen head. The inside of the arm is cut to fit the hex shaft, so the set screw is only used to keep it from moving side to side.

There were no instructions or pictures with this setup. I forget what the size is for the allen wrench, but it comes from Canada, so it was metric. Nothing said I should, but I decided to add some locktite to this screw as I did not want to even think about looking for it if it came loose.

All in all, the product is really well made, and should outlast the bike.

I did post a review to SpyderAccessories, indicating that it would certainly be better if it came with some instructions, a note about the size of the allen wrench, and even better with the wedges!! It is a great product, but not a project for the faint of heart.

As an FYI: When the job was done, the windshield works great! In fact, it does not "wobble" near as much as the original because the tolerances between the arm and the windshield support frame are much tighter! Overall, I am pleased, and really thankful to be done with this project!! It took many hours, and a lot of experimenting, but is a big improvement over the original.

In the spirit of full disclosure: When prying the right side cap off of the shaft, it popped up and then disappeared down one of the many openings into the darkness of the front of the bike. It took nearly 2 hours of looking, removing panels that I had no original intention of removing, and mounting fears about what might be needed if I could not find it!! I eventually used a Ryobi Inspection camera attached to my phone, and with the help of the Spyder Gods found the part lying inside of the U-channel on one of the frame pieces. With the help of a long retrieval tool, I was able to liberate it from the depths and continue on with the project. Just a reminder to be sure to block all of the holes with rags or something when doing this kind of work. This is especially important when replacing the C clips on the windshield frame! You do not want to take the bike all apart to look for them if they disappear.

Follow Up:

I received a call today from Pierre at SpyderAccessories today. He was following up on my review. His operation is really the essence of the Small Business community. It is just him and his significant other doing everything!! Since he does not make these arms, and does not want to infringe on any patents or other liability areas, he just has them made by a local craftsman - (who used to be a tech at BRP and now works at his own repair shop) and markets them to the public, so there is no expectation of videos, directions, wedges, or any additional support. He was really great to talk with, and offered to be of any assistance he could for future purchases, questions, and observations.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Nice review and competition is always a good thing. I wish Pierre well with his sales of a competitive arm.
    Yes i still have the arm available and currently in the proces of making another batch of 25 which will be ready in a week or so.
    We have never seen our arm as a profit making process it's always been about the rider safety as the OEM arm doesn't sem to meet that criteria. We are not a business but simply Spyder Riders like the rest off you.
    cheers, Ron (noboot)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Nice review and competition is always a good thing. I wish Pierre well with his sales of a competitive arm.
    Yes i still have the arm available and currently in the proces of making another batch of 25 which will be ready in a week or so.
    We have never seen our arm as a profit making process it's always been about the rider safety as the OEM arm doesn't sem to meet that criteria. We are not a business but simply Spyder Riders like the rest off you. cheers, Ron (noboot)
    Does your product come with the instructions and method of removing the gear from the shaft mentioned by the O.P.?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Does your product come with the instructions and method of removing the gear from the shaft mentioned by the O.P.?
    Yes we supy written instructions, and rererence to a youtube video we created to show you the whole process. And we supply a set of wedges to assist with removing the old arm.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks ! to you guys !

it is great too see options for repair in the world of man made things that break , sounds like the armature is something one might want to get for a "just in case " possibility ! thanks folks ( good job on the product review bike-o-din ) <---- a pharmaceutical technician ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Yes we supy written instructions, and rererence to a youtube video we created to show you the whole process. And we supply a set of wedges to assist with removing the old arm.
    Good to know about. Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It's great to see options.
    I got mine from noboot. Great service. The arm is a work of art. I think mine might be one of the first in the US.
    Still, I don't understand why BRP doesn't just upgrade the design.
    It would be so easy. All they have to do is make a phone call to their sub-supplier.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hello Ron,

Just wondering is it still possible to order your custom made windshield arm kit? If so can you send me the information on how to order one. This is my email gsrb@comcast.net

Thank you!
    Have a great day!
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Another broken ARM brother looking at you’re product. Could you email me you’re address and cost to mail the money or do you accept PAYPAL. Thanks in advance for your help. Michael@seabrookmr.com...