Spyder Garage

Red face Oil Change - What's all the fuss about??

Well, I got tired of paying the dealer to change the oil on my 2011 RT-S SM5. I have read all of the posts here, looked at a bunch of YouTube videos, and thought - Hey, I think I can do this! I have always done this on my other bikes, so why not.

I bought the ATV jack some years ago and Jack stands, but had some fears about undertaking the project. I am not real comfortable with the bike that far in the air on the jack, and letting it down with the reversed way the jack releases pressure is just something I am not comfortable with. I then bought car ramps (which was a real fiasco trying to get the bike onto them). I tried to back onto them, and the rear tire grabbed the ramp and "shot" it under the bike!! Had to use a floor jack to get the bike off the ramp! Not again says I!!

Even at 70 years of age, I am still able to get down on the floor to look under the bike (although getting up is much more of a challenge!!). There seemed to be more than enough room to work under there with a little effort. I tried to find out what was needed to remove the panels that were changed to facilitate the oil changes - there seem to be nothing out there, so I just decided to just give it a go on my own.

I ordered the Amsoil Oil and filter materials from Ron, got a set of Gold Plugs, and started the project. The rest of the tools were in my fairly well equipped shop, so I was ready to go. The panel removal is not a big deal, and only needed to remove the middle side panel and the bottom front side to get to the screw for the splash panel under the bike. At that point, you can get at everything else without too much trouble. Since I have an SM5, I did not need to do anything fancy to get to the transmission filter, so never did have to figure out how to remove the new bottom rear side panel that was installed to make oil changes easier. The tupperware removal is actually easier than what I used to have to do on my Honda ST1300, and at least all of the screws are the same size!!

I did need to use a smaller oil drain pan (actually I used two) because of the limited clearance, but not a big problem since I already had them.

Drained the oil, replaced and torqued the new Gold Plugs, replaced the oil filter and gasket O-ring, and added the oil. Fired up the bike, checked for leaks, checked oil levels, and replaced the panels. Everything very straight forward. Less than two hours start to finish including clean up! It seems that I have thought this was more complicated that it really is!

Now I can figure out how to spend the money I "saved" on farkles!!!!!!!!
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Well done! There are a few videos showing panel removal but you've got the idea already, no need to remove all the panels as some suggest. I use the cheapo HF ATV lift and basic 3 Ton jack stands and have even got up on the bike with it on the stands it's so stable. Makes slipping the oil pan under easy and since I've got the SE5 I've got to do that extra S@#$% filter.
    After you've done two of three of them you'll get down to the 30-40 minute time frame if you want.
    BajaRon's filter kits are the best, I buy them in two to three packs due to my normal seasonal mileage. Shoot I've just done my second change since the middle of June due to a 10 day 4800 mile trip.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Dgobel is correct. No need to take the other panels off. Just the front one you take off to check the oil. Like him I put the HF jack under the bike to lift it and use jack stands under the front. Then you can put your head under there to see what's going on. Of course I'm way younger than you. I won't be 70 until later this year. Mine is an 2011 RT SM5 as well.
    Last edited by daz; 07-15-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, as a sprightly young 60 year old I look forward to changing a Spyder's Oil 10+ years from now!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of doing my own oil change this year since I'm retired now and sooo much younger that a few of you guys (just turned 68 lol with 4 knee surgeries and 2 shoulder surgeries), I have a Craftsman lift and once up I put it on 8" by 16" cinder blocks so it is real stable. I have to run her up on a couple of 1x10's screwed together to get her high enuf to get the lift under. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why do you have to jack up the Spyder to change the oil?

I leave it level and remove the drain plugs.

Spyder Garage

Default Removing the oil filter on a 14 RT

We recently lost our dealer here locally, Can Am wanted them to carry $300K in parts which didn't make sense to them, they sold maybe 1 or 2 Spyders a year! Anyway my husband wants to do the routine maintenance instead of riding 85 miles to a dealer we do NOT trust. He tried last year and was not able to get the oil filter off (way too tight) with a 36mm socket and cheater bar so we took it in to our local dealer when they still carried Spyders and they got it off. He was able to talk them into doing 1 more Spyder oil change last week (even though they can no longer get parts). Well, wouldn't ya know it, the same guy that changed the filter last year was NOT able to get the filter housing off...
    My husband has the tools and has done bike maintenance on his own bikes since 1999 and on our cars for decades. He's at a loss as to getting that filter housing off without damage. Any suggestions???
    THANKS in advance!!!!!
    Last edited by MaMaBear; 08-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaMaBear View Post
    We recently lost our dealer here locally, Can Am wanted them to carry $300K in parts which didn't make sense to them, they sold maybe 1 or 2 Spyders a year! Anyway my husband wants to do the routine maintenance instead of riding 85 miles to a dealer we do NOT trust. He tried last year and was not able to get the oil filter off (way too tight) with a 36mm socket and cheater bar so we took it in to our local dealer when they still carried Spyders and they got it off. He was able to talk them into doing 1 more Spyder oil change last week (even though they can no longer get parts). Well, wouldn't ya know it, the same guy that changed the filter last year was NOT able to get the filter housing off...
    My husband has the tools and has done bike maintenance on his own bikes since 1999 and on our cars for decades. He's at a loss as to getting that filter housing off without damage. Any suggestions???
    THANKS in advance!!!!!
    Sounds like it's getting tightened too much. I get the oil filter cap off of my F3L with channellock pliers.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaMaBear View Post
    ...He tried last year and was not able to get the oil filter off (way too tight) with a 36mm socket ...
    MaMaBear ... Has he tried a smart rap on the filter cap before trying the long lever breaker bar on the socket? The 1330 oil change is so much nicer than the old 998 changes (at least on the dual filtered SE models)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

so, speaking of oil changes. Has anyone used auto ramps on the front end to ease getting getting to the drain plugs ?

Spyder Garage

Oil change is no big deal on a 998. Better than paying $300 to dealer to do it.

On ramps.jpg
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burny1970 View Post
    so, speaking of oil changes. Has anyone used auto ramps on the front end to ease getting getting to the drain plugs ?
    Very common approach...

RedNeckJack.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burny1970 View Post
    I use three ramps set up backwards so I can back up and have all three wheels elevated and the Spyder will be level.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very common approach...

RedNeckJack.jpg
    Warning............nanny algorithm follows for next three weeks
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    MaMaBear ... Has he tried a smart rap on the filter cap before trying the long lever breaker bar on the socket? The 1330 oil change is so much nicer than the old 998 changes (at least on the dual filtered SE models)
    ...………….. and Rapping the drain plugs to Break the Varnish seal works wonders ….. Good luck ……….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Where do you get the BajaRon's filter kits?, I'd like to try changing my oil on my 2012 rt SE5, thx

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevo62 View Post
    Where do you get the BajaRon's filter kits?, I'd like to try changing my oil on my 2012 rt SE5, thx
    Go to the Home page …. He has a Banner Ad there …………. click on it and you will find ALL the products He sells ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

thank you

Spyder Garage

I used ramps the first time and she wanted to throw the rear ramp across the garage trying to get up
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

If you have a trailer and use 3 ramps to load, you can leave the centre ramp off, run the Spyder front end about half way up the two outer ramps, until it gets to the point where the rear wheel would be just about to go on the centre ramp. Then you just jack the rear up even with the front end. Depending on how high the trailer is, that will put the Spyder a foot or two off the ground and you should have no problem reaching under the ramps work on it. My ramps lock on the rear of the trailer so no chance of them slipping. Couple of tie down straps on the front end will prevent it from rolling back once you have it where you want it. The parking brake should hold long enough to get straps on. It is kind of a round about way to go at it, but it works if you don't have all the jacks and tools you need to raise it up.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver