Spyder Garage

Question Parking brake doesn't release.

Want to move my 2011 Spyder RT but can't release the Parking brake. Engine on, engine off, foot on brake, foot off brake, nothing works. Windshield still works. No codes on the display as far as I can tell.

The switch sounds anemic when compared to the sound made by other switches in the row. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Eckhard
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Question fuses?

did you check the fuses?

Spyder Garage

Default o.k.

lets try this can you start the cycle ? if so push the brake button , give it a second to respond , don`t rush it ! try first gear and a release then ?

Spyder Garage

Default How to release brake

I have a 2018 Rt Limited but this should work for you I believe.
    Go to the brake cable at the back tire. Release the cable and slide it out of the U shaped metal holding area for the cable. and just lay the cable on top of the cable holder you just took it out of. The cable should still be hooked up to the arm that controls the actual brake pads. I was able to release my brake and ride it after doing this. I was also able to engage the parking brake with the cable still on top of the cable receiver. I ended up having the shop work on it and they called Can Am and replaced the front brake gear . I hope this helps. I had this problem and mine is still new.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Want to move my 2011 Spyder RT but can't release the Parking brake. Engine on, engine off, foot on brake, foot off brake, nothing works. Windshield still works. No codes on the display as far as I can tell.

The switch sounds anemic when compared to the sound made by other switches in the row. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Eckhard
    Describe anemic please. Anything other than a simple Click needs investigation

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW. Posts about parking brake failures seem about as common as tire and oil questions !!

Reported repairs have included: Cable adjustment, brake motor failure and switch failure......with motors running well in front, I think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Describe anemic please. Anything other than a simple Click needs investigation
    Engine off, push button, and it sounds like a greasy shnick as opposed to click the some of the other switches have. I am going to try and get the switch out tomorrow and fit a jumper till I get the proper replacement switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    lets try this can you start the cycle ? if so push the brake button , give it a second to respond , don`t rush it ! try first gear and a release then ?
    Cycle starts. Pushing the button in forward or reverse or neutral gives me nothing.

Spyder Garage

Cool Parking brake

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Eckhard
    I have a 2016 f3t and my parking brake will not release . It was intermittent for about 3 months and of course when it finally failed completely it was out of warranty by couple weeks . Called customer service and they said they have a policy that no help or consideration is given after warranty is up . There is a recall on parking brake motors for the RT models and the f3t uses the same motor but not included in the recall . Dealer says the part is unavailable right now . Imagine that !!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default We will be taking our 16 F3T in on Tuesday for the same problem...

Quote Originally Posted by billy514 View Post
    I have a 2016 f3t and my parking brake will not release . It was intermittent for about 3 months and of course when it finally failed completely it was out of warranty by couple weeks . Called customer service and they said they have a policy that no help or consideration is given after warranty is up . There is a recall on parking brake motors for the RT models and the f3t uses the same motor but not included in the recall . Dealer says the part is unavailable right now . Imagine that !!!!!!
    Thanks for your post Billy.... our F3T also was intermittent and finally Friday the last time when the parking brake was set, it didn't release.
    Going to Pikes Peak Motorsports Tuesday to have them replace the parking brake motor - previous codes were PO571 and P1571!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Going to Pikes Peak Motorsports Tuesday to have them replace the parking brake motor - previous codes were PO571 and P1571!
    I hope that they ALREADY have the replacement in stock locally........or else you might be in for a LONG wait.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I hope that they ALREADY have the replacement in stock locally........or else you might be in for a LONG wait.
    BRP customer service informed me they don't have any trouble with parking brake not releasing but the dealer told me they have done a lot of these motor replacement . BRP customer service is horrible . This is my second spyder and I like the bike but service network is horrible in the states .

Spyder Garage

Default Got the bike home with a new parking brake motor installed today by Pikes Peak Motos

Had one episode in Utah last September and the Dealer in St George cleared the PO571 codes, and all was good until about ten days ago when the motor again failed to set the brake,

and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP until the 15 second serenade was over. Then it was more frequent on our trip to the Deadwood 3WR until the motor failed with the parking brake applied.

Outdoor Motorsports in Spearfish SD was over the top in getting it in and diagnosing the failed motor assembly. Thanks to Service Manager, Jon Valentine and tech Alec for the diagnosis!!!

Jon went the extra mile and located a motor and had Pikes Peak put their hands on it and Service Advisor Dave Noad met us when we showed up at 9AM, and had the bike ready before noon.

We also asked them to look at a sticking throttle, and they were kind enough to remedy that while also pointing out an interference with the screw holding the aftermarket cup holder.

Thanks again to Jon Valentine in Spearfish and Dave Noad for getting us in while on the road and getting our dilemna diagnosed and repaired!!!
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 07-17-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Dave Noad, Svc Advisor
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Problem Solved????

I took out the brake switch and ended up taking it apart. Looked OK. Put it back together and back in the bike. Tried it this am and it worked so Im buttoning it up and will go for a ride this pm. Hopefully.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem on my 2015RT Limited. Took it to the shop but they could not find anything wrong. I told them that others have replaced the switch to correct the problem. It is still under warranty but I was told I have $50 deductible. I pick it up tomorrow.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had the problem once with my 2012. Ended up the cable had jumped off the pulley and after be put back, needed to be adjusted. Has not happened since!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

We have the same codes (P0571 and P1571)with an additional one : U0128
    Spyder 2018 RT Ltd is blocked on our driveway ... it’ 20:00h ... all dealers are closed ... I might be sleeping in the car behind our Spyder tonight ... ��

Spyder Garage

I broke the parking brake switch whilst trying to resolve a locked PB brake on my F3-T. The manual says take off the console and it really looks like a lot of work does anyone have an easier way