Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Just because he's a vendor doesn't mean he's an expert on tires. In fact, I don't know of any Spyder vendor with tire expertise, although they may have extensive personal and anecdotal experience with tires on Spyders, but that's not the same thing.

Trust the tire experts on here; they are NOT Spyder vendors, and have no reason to mislead. BlueKnight911 and PeterAawen are two that come to mind. Good luck.
    The gentleman Mike T is talking about owns a tire and auto shop. He does my tires. He will be installing Vredestein's on my F3 Limited soon. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Hi folks good info. Am a noob and just getting into this. Am not sure what model to get but wonder if a dealer would consider replacing the tires with what is recommended here. I will have to ask, and make it a condition of sale. What do you all think?
    Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Two days before we left for Deadwood I put some Hankook Ventus V4Es on my RTL as I could not get the Vredesteins I wanted in time. I had 34K on the original tires and might have gotten more out of them but chose not to. I cannot say enough how better the bike handles with the car tires on. The thing is glued to the pavement ! Knowing what I know now , I will order the Vredesteins for my wifes RTL and get them on sooner than later .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Hi folks good info. Am a noob and just getting into this. Am not sure what model to get but wonder if a dealer would consider replacing the tires with what is recommended here. I will have to ask, and make it a condition of sale. What do you all think?
    Joe
    That's been extensively discussed on this forum and the bottom line is it all depends on the dealer. BRP has no requirements of the dealer, although a dealer may tell you they can't because of BRP's policies, but that's not true.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Joe
    UtahPete’s answer is correct, jlc, in that it really depends on the dealer and whether they believe they might be liable if they put other than the BRP recommended Kendas on it......BUT
    it would be most interesting to see what transpires if you make it a condition of sale...... will the lure of the almighty dollar override any reticence on the dealer’s part. Many riders are happy with their Kendas, but those who move to alternative car tyres are probably even more happy......I.e. if you can afford to replace and sell the Kendas at buy time and go with alternatives, there’s no real downside.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    The gentleman Mike T is talking about owns a tire and auto shop. He does my tires. He will be installing Vredestein's on my F3 Limited soon. Tom
    Was he a vendor at the rally where Mike T met him? Was he selling tires or what?

Thanks. Just curious.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Was he a vendor at the rally where Mike T met him? Was he selling tires or what?

Thanks. Just curious.
    Yes Pete he was there. He attends Spyder rally's when he can. Also stocks, and installs accessories and does laser alignments. He had 2 lifts set up and he was going sun up to sun down and beyond. Lots of tires installed. He and his Father have been working on Spyder's for a number of years now. Ron owns and rides a Spyder. And he runs Spyder Quest at Lake George every year. Derrick and Ron are great guys. And you can't beat the prices. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Continental/General

I now have about 1500 miles on my new tires. I put the General Altimax on the rear and Continentals on the front. I chose these because Discount Tire carried the Continentals and would mount them. I chose the Altimax because Sierra Cycles carries it and would mount/balance the rear. I was initially pleased with the performance on dry roads. While in Deadwood I went through some very strong rain and I am now very pleased with wet performance as well. I never felt as if I was hydroplaning. I'm running 15psi in the front and 24 in the rear. If I drop the rear psi much I begin to experience reduced fuel mileage.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Yokohama Avid tires for Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I was hoping to go in and see the tire before I buy it, but that looks like it will not happen.

So far I have the following to think about,

Rear tire:

General AltiMAX RT43 215/60R15

or

Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15

Front Spyder Yokohama Avid S34F 175-55-15 tires

Yokohama 175-55-15 S34FA front tires F3S Spyder IMG_4553.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I now have about 1500 miles on my new tires. I put the General Altimax on the rear and Continentals on the front. I chose these because Discount Tire carried the Continentals and would mount them. I chose the Altimax because Sierra Cycles carries it and would mount/balance the rear. I was initially pleased with the performance on dry roads. While in Deadwood I went through some very strong rain and I am now very pleased with wet performance as well. I never felt as if I was hydroplaning. I'm running 15psi in the front and 24 in the rear. If I drop the rear psi much I begin to experience reduced fuel mileage.

Rob
    Rob, I am also running the General Altimax on the rear and the Continentals on the front. I have not had any problems with them. The rear tire is running @ 26PSI and the Fronts are running @ 19PSI. The General Altimax was installed on 6/20/2015. And the Continentals were installed in 2016.

I chose both tire for there ratings.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Re General Altimax RT43 215/60/15

That size will not work:
    If your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are going about 68.5 mph
    So what if your Speedo is off a few miles doesn't matter I have that tire 215/60/15 it's a great tire

Spyder Garage

Default lug not torque?

2014 RT, anyone know the lug nut torque (front) please, Thanks, Chris

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 RT, anyone know the lug nut torque (front) please, Thanks, Chris

Wheel torque.JPG

This is from the service manual. In case you haven't done so already we forum members highly advise you to get one if you expect to do work on a Spyder. One source is canammanuals.com. About $30 for PDF download.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Wheel torque.JPG

This is from the service manual. In case you haven't done so already we forum members highly advise you to get one if you expect to do work on a Spyder. One source is canammanuals.com. About $30 for PDF download.
    Thank you so very much, I did set them at 90, so I may reset to the lower number.
    We got all new tires and will list them as soon as I can.

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6
    New tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Front Spyder Yokohama Avid S34F 175-55-15 tires

Yokohama 175-55-15 S34FA front tires F3S Spyder IMG_4553.jpg
    Great tire. We have installed quite a few of those. Suggest starting with 27psi in them and adjust from there to your liking.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Great tire. We have installed quite a few of those. Suggest starting with 27psi in them and adjust from there to your liking.
    I am going to order two for the front for my 2016 F3T next week.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Well, we did it....

We got all new tires:
    Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles,

Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles

What do you all think we should run the psi at?
    One up riding

Thanks to all

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Default PS Speedo is now accurate

PS: With my change to General Altimax my speedo is now correct. The General is a slightly higher profile tire than the factory Kenda. My speedo now matches my speed as shown on my Garmin.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We got all new tires: Back, KUMHO ECSTA 225/50 R15 (24psi) @ 9,380 miles, Fronts, KUMHO SOLUS KH16 175/55 R15 (20 psi) @ 9,421 miles Thanks to all
    Congrats. Enjoy.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the stock front tires for sale

The Wife's 2014 RTS SE6