luckily mine was under extended warranty
    bill was almost 700.00 if your bike starts clunking
    like a harley every shift or makes a weird growling
    noise you may want to get your sproket checked
    picked mine up yesterday all noise it has bee
    making are gone

Spyder Garage

Default Your right...

This is not particular to the F3. I posted when it happened to my RS and there have been many others not only F3's. I was way out of warranty but found all the parts needed and cost was about $200.00 with the rear wheel bearings. But I also do all my own work....glad you were covered...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ok I did a search couldn't find anything pertaining
    to the rt. Just letting everyone know,I also like doing my own maintenance
    but place I bought it from suckered me into a
    maintenance plan so until it runs out they can deal with it
    thanks

Spyder Garage

don't have an RT.
    but given the history of the F3 and other Rts, I think pulley/sprocket inspections are worth doing every 1500 miles.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look for red rust. If it is there, the sprocket will fail at some point. Get it replaced. From what I am to understand, any sprocket showing the red rust under warranty will be replaced by them.
    Since I have a F3 and an RT I purchased a replacement sprocket and bolt for about $115.00 from CCP. I inspect mine about every 2-3k miles.

Spyder Garage

Does anybody have a picture of what we should be looking for when we inspect the front sprocket? I can climb under the
    Spyder and look but got to know what to look for. Also at what mileage are these starting to fail or isn't there a set mileage?
    My 2105 RTS has almost 22,000 miles and I have never looked at my front sprocket. Thanks

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Look for red rust. If it is there, the sprocket will fail at some point. Get it replaced. From what I am to understand, any sprocket showing the red rust under warranty will be replaced by them. Since I have a F3 and an RT I purchased a replacement sprocket and bolt for about $115.00 from CCP. I inspect mine about every 2-3k miles.
    Good to know. Just to be clear, we're talking about the belt drive sprocket? I have an RTL also - not too easy to inspect that front sprocket; any advice on that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

So what is wearing? I guess its the sprocket itself since it is probably made of just regular metal and not hardened like the shaft. Just what is happening to make the sprocket wear? Is the fastening bolt getting loose or what?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    So what is wearing? I guess its the sprocket itself since it is probably made of just regular metal and not hardened like the shaft. Just what is happening to make the sprocket wear? Is the fastening bolt getting loose or what?
    The sprocket is formed as one piece and the spline assembly is pressed into it. This gives them the ability to temper it differently than the sprocket. The reason they do that is so that it will wear out instead of the shaft, which would be extremely more trouble and big $$$ to replace than the sprocket. Somewhat like the softer metal on a starter drive instead of the flywheel being soft. Easier to replace the drive or starter rather than the flywheel.
    Some of us believe that the hit and miss failure of these sprockets is due to some of them not being tempered properly. Being too soft and then grenading.
    I personally have a 14 RTS and a 17 F3 Daytona and the RT has 48k miles with no wear showing (just serviced last week) and the Daytona almost 20k with no wear showing. The one I was personally involved with that grenaded in traffic was a 16 F3 Ltd.
    Some ryders have reported replacing several......
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 02-05-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    The sprocket is formed as one piece and the spline assembly is pressed into it. This gives them the ability to temper it differently than the sprocket. The reason they do that is so that it will wear out instead of the shaft, which would be extremely more trouble and big $$$ to replace than the sprocket. Somewhat like the softer metal on a starter drive instead of the flywheel being soft. Easier to replace the drive or starter rather than the flywheel.
    Some of us believe that the hit and miss failure of these sprockets is due to some of them not being tempered properly. Being too soft and then grenading.
    I personally have a 14 RTS and a 17 F3 Daytona and the RT has 48k miles with no wear showing (just serviced last week) and the Daytona almost 20k with no wear showing. The one I was personally involved with that grenaded in traffic was a 16 F3 Ltd.
    Some ryders have reported replacing several......
    I have posted my experience on another thread, but the Sprocket is being replaced on my 2016 RT Limited, which was makng a grinding and whining noise at 21,500 miles. It is scheduled to be replaced Aug. 12, 2018.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This is mine after 16K,
    IMG_0371.jpg