Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension, Vibration, & Front Sprocket Failure

Has anyone researched a relationship with the tension of the belt and failure of the front sprocket? Possibly even whether there is a vibration damper installed.
    Seems to me that over tension and excessive vibration of the belt may be attributing factors or even the actual cause of front sprocket failure.
    I just got my 2017 F3T a month ago. Ordered all of the tools to adjust belt tension and center rear wheel. Check tension this am and it is at 210LBS. With 1700mi in the first month, I took the front sprocket inspection cover off, no rust. Belt is also centered a little tight to the inside of the rear sprocket. Adjusting everything early tomorrow am when it is cool. Also installing BajaRon’s ASB and Doc’s drive belt vibration damper.
    Regards,
    Don
    Last edited by dondje; 07-13-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default My Exp

Not that this is hard evidence but just my recent experience. I purchased my 2016 RTL May 2017 when I purchased the bike the dealer had installed many Farkles to include a chrome rear wheel. Since day one I had this weird whining noise but was told that it was normal. At about 1440 miles the parking brake went out, while it was in for the switch I had mention the sound again (this is a new dealer) they stated the belt was over tighten and the rear sprocket was not clocked right and addressed the issue. At 200 miles later 1642 I was left stranded on the road with a worn out front sprocket again was told this was mostly likely due to belt being over tighten and that prior to them adjusting it the damage may have already been done.

I just picked the up this past Saturday July 7 and it quieter than it has ever been.

As some have stated on here a sure sign that the sprocket is going south is the sound and the sprocket will look red.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 07-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no way to research the relationship you mentioned.
    BRP has upgraded (changed) the specs on the newer front sprocket and now receives a new part number.
    The idler simply dumb downs the extreme on/off vibration and not all the vibration you and your bike receives.
    Don't play with BRPs tension specs based on any untrusted uncited source such as this website.
    Too many know-it-alls and profiteers stirring the pot for self gain/grandstanding.
    Simply put...…….stay with BRPs recommendations and enjoy trouble free riding, like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Has anyone researched a relationship with the tension of the belt and failure of the front sprocket? Possibly even whether there is a vibration damper installed.
    Seems to me that over tension and excessive vibration of the belt may be attributing factors or even the actual cause of front sprocket failure.
    I just got my 2017 F3T a month ago. Ordered all of the tools to adjust belt tension and center rear wheel. Check tension this am and it is at 210LBS. With 1700mi in the first month, I took the front sprocket inspection cover off, no rust. Belt is also centered a little tight to the inside of the rear sprocket. Adjusting everything early tomorrow am when it is cool. Also installing BajaRon’s ASB and Doc’s drive belt vibration damper.
    Regards,
    Don

Spyder Garage

Default dampebelt vibration damper

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    There is no way to research the relationship you mentioned.
    BRP has upgraded (changed) the specs on the newer front sprocket and now receives a new part number.
    The idler simply dumb downs the extreme on/off vibration and not all the vibration you and your bike receives.
    Don't play with BRPs tension specs based on any untrusted uncited source such as this website.
    Too many know-it-alls and profiteers stirring the pot for self gain/grandstanding.
    Simply put...…….stay with BRPs recommendations and enjoy trouble free riding, like I do.
    Where can I purchase
    belt vibration damper Ware is Doc's site? Thanks WVFoxtrotter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Regards,
    Don
    How do I get hold of Doc about belt damper??? Charons90@yahoo.com-WVFoxtrotter

Spyder Garage

Here is Doc's site -
    https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products

Quote Originally Posted by WVFoxtrotter View Post
    Where can I purchase
    belt vibration damper Ware is Doc's site? Thanks WVFoxtrotter
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Thanks Very much!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Front sprocket ????

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Not that this is hard evidence but just my recent experience. I purchased my 2016 RTL May 2017 when I purchased the bike the dealer had installed many Farkles to include a chrome rear wheel. Since day one I had this weird whining noise but was told that it was normal. At about 1440 miles the parking brake went out, while it was in for the switch I had mention the sound again (this is a new dealer) they stated the belt was over tighten and the rear sprocket was not clocked right and addressed the issue. At 200 miles later 1642 I was left stranded on the road with a worn out front sprocket again was told this was mostly likely due to belt being over tighten and that prior to them adjusting it the damage may have already been done.

I just picked the up this past Saturday July 7 and it quieter than it has ever been.

As some have stated on here a sure sign that the sprocket is going south is the sound and the sprocket will look red.
    2018 F3T 15500mls, was recently left stranded stopped at a stop sign but when I tried to pull away Nothing motor was running fine, just would not move forward or reverse, it was making loud buzzing / grating kind of noise, I am thinking front sprocket ??? first spyder and not mechanical, and advice. Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lepusman View Post
    2018 F3T 15500mls, was recently left stranded stopped at a stop sign but when I tried to pull away Nothing motor was running fine, just would not move forward or reverse, it was making loud buzzing / grating kind of noise, I am thinking front sprocket ??? first spyder and not mechanical, and advice. Pete
    Front sprocket failure is a definite possibility here. Easily checked. Belt tension has a lot to do with wheel bearing and front sprocket failures. Vibration, I don't think has nearly as much to do with these. Vibration is more an annoyance than anything else. The front sprocket retention bolt getting loose has also contributed to failures. Hopefully, it's just the sprocket and not your output shaft. It should be closely inspected if a front sprocket is found to be the issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...