Spyder Garage

Default new brakes-2013 RT

I just installed new EBC sintered brake pads (front & rear) on my 2013 Spyder RT & I can't find the torque specs. for the caliper bolts. Also, I understand there's a "bed-in" process for these pads. I was hoping somebody could help me out with this info.. I guess it's time to get a shop manual!! Thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I am guessing he didn't buy them from Ron.I'd also guess being the kind of person Ron is he would send them if asked.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I am guessing he didn't buy them from Ron.I'd also guess being the kind of person Ron is he would send them if asked.

It never ceases to amaze me that folks buy stuff, then complain, but guess what? They didn't buy from forum supporters. Why would anyone want less than the stellar service and customer support that we can all enjoy if we continually buy from all the good folks here that fund this site. An extra shout out to BajaRon, dealt with him many times, couldn't be happier with his products and customer service. Just remember ​"Buy Local"
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Just remember "Buy Local"
    Just so I know for the future ... exactly what does "Local" mean?

Spyder Garage

Default Break in Pad Procedure

To answer the op’s question, once the pads are on, take the Spyder up to 60 mph then press brake hard until you see your speedometer go to 20 mph, then release. Do not come to a complete stop! Do this procedure 4 to 5 times and your pads should be broken in. BajaRon please correct me if I am wrong.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    Just so I know for the future ... exactly what does "Local" mean?
    I think they are referring to buying from Spyderlovers sponsors
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

It never ceases to amaze me that folks buy stuff, then complain, but guess what? They didn't buy from forum supporters. Why would anyone want less than the stellar service and customer support that we can all enjoy if we continually buy from all the good folks here that fund this site. An extra shout out to BajaRon, dealt with him many times, couldn't be happier with his products and customer service. Just remember ​"Buy Local"
    I didn't hear any complaint in the OP's original post just a question as to torque specs and break in procedures. He may not know who BajaRon is, what he sells or that the break in procedures come from from him. This is my second set of pads from Ron and I had forgotten that fact.

BTW the torque for the caliper screws is 18 ft/lbs and the torque for the pad pins is 34 ft/lbs
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-22-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default You're Right!

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    To answer the op’s question, once the pads are on, take the Spyder up to 60 mph then press brake hard until you see your speedometer go to 20 mph, then release. Do not come to a complete stop! Do this procedure 4 to 5 times and your pads should be broken in. BajaRon please correct me if I am wrong.
    This is basically what needs to be done. EBC recommends 8-10 cycles. But they are assuming you have a crotch rocket (which are the major users of these pads). Because a sport bike weighs less than 1/2 of what our Spyders do, it takes more cycles to get the pads hot enough to cure the bonding resins and bed the pads to the rotors. Once you do the speed up and aggressive slow down cycles you need to ride for a few miles without stopping to allow the brake system to cool down evenly.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is basically what needs to be done. EBC recommends 8-10 cycles. But they are assuming you have a crotch rocket (which are the major users of these pads). Because a sport bike weighs less than 1/2 of what our Spyders do, it takes more cycles to get the pads hot enough to cure the bonding resins and bed the pads to the rotors. Once you do the speed up and aggressive slow down cycles you need to ride for a few miles without stopping to allow the brake system to cool down evenly.
    This is good to know; haven't found that info anywhere else.

My dealer just replaced all my pads with OEM without me asking for them to do that (long story - see my other thread about new rear caliper at 15k miles). Anyway, do you know if the OEM pads require the same break-in method? Dealer said nothing when I picked it up.

And, while we're on the topic what is the difference between OEM and EBC pads, for future reference? The dealer seemed to think they were longer lasting (EBC) but noisier.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bump
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This is good to know; haven't found that info anywhere else.

My dealer just replaced all my pads with OEM without me asking for them to do that (long story - see my other thread about new rear caliper at 15k miles). Anyway, do you know if the OEM pads require the same break-in method? Dealer said nothing when I picked it up.

And, while we're on the topic what is the difference between OEM and EBC pads, for future reference? The dealer seemed to think they were longer lasting (EBC) but noisier.

Thanks.
    Answered in the other thread by now.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020