Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The only 'Yugo' version of anything has been a Yugo, and the market pretty much rejected that.

This is a SpyderLovers forum; why are you so down on Spyder engineering and QC?
    I can readily name at least a dozen cars manufactured within the past two and a half decades that were "Yugo" like. If you want current examples consider the SmartCar and anything by Fiat. American manufacturers are not exempt either. GM's diesel powered sedans, the pseudo Chev/Cadillac, Pontiac Fiero, Chevy Nova....the list goes on.

If the name "SpyderLovers" suggests the only admissible topics are to praise the Spyder then someone should publish the reason for the site's existence. Otherwise, I assume, as would most people that all discussions relevant to the Spyder are eligible for discussion.

I owned my Spyder for a bit longer than one year but if I had found this site prior to buying it I would have passed on the purchase. Most people know the story of any German-made luxury car - the high maintenance costs and very troublesome nature of the overly complex operating systems. I found the Spyder the Can-Am equivalent. I could list dozens of individual items but here are a few basic ones which Can-Am could have fixed simply by reading the posts on this site:

Incredibly sensitive brake and oil levels throwing limp mode codes when no real issue exists.
    CANBUS - need I say more?
    Weak windshield supports
    Cost/ease of simple maintenance (oil change being the main culprit)
    Incompetent dealer service departments and techs and need for non-available diagnostic tools for owners
    Incompetent audio and CB (not even going into the difficulties with the 2018 dash)
    Need for post purchase alignment, adequate sway bar and shocks
    Kenda tires
    Difficulty checking/airing rear tire

Note: These are not necessarily MY personal issues but those I have gleaned from the many posts on this site.

A motorcycle-type vehicle costing over $30,000 new should excel at both design and maintainability. The Spyder falls very short of that standard. I have owned dozens of two-wheelers over the years including some very labor intensive British marques but none of them have even come close to the absurdity of the Spyder.

And regarding Can-Am's other products - someone mentioned Sea-Doo. I was doing some intensive research a few months ago on PWC's and was not impressed by the Sea-Doo line when compared to other manufactures. While some of their models seem to perform very well, especially in salt water, their turbo engines have several very weak areas including the use of porcelain washers which fail frequently and cause catastrophic damage to the engine. This type of design failure is inexcusable. The bottom line is I see similar systemic discrepancies in the design, manufacture and support of their PWC's that I see in the Spyder. I will never touch another Can-Am product as a result.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you even own a Spyder?

Troll.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you even own a Spyder?

Troll.jpg
    His name is byespyder, last name troll.

I would like to see another Spyder model even if it’s under powered.
    I don’t want a ride RT or F3.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that with even just 60 horsepower: it would be "underpowered"...
    It would just be different from what we're currently used to!

And if it's a simpler bike: that means that there's less things to go wrong!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSpyder View Post

I owned my Spyder for a bit longer than one year but if I had found this site prior to buying it I would have passed on the purchase. Most people know the story of any German-made luxury car - the high maintenance costs and very troublesome nature of the overly complex operating systems. I found the Spyder the Can-Am equivalent. I could list dozens of individual items but here are a few basic ones which Can-Am could have fixed simply by reading the posts on this site:

Incredibly sensitive brake and oil levels throwing limp mode codes when no real issue exists.
    Weak windshield supports
    Incompetent dealer service departments and techs and need for non-available diagnostic tools for owners
    Incompetent audio and CB (not even going into the difficulties with the 2018 dash)
    Kenda tires
    In fairness, BRP has listened and HAS addressed some of these.

Incredibly sensitive brake and oil levels throwing limp mode codes when no real issue exists. Fully addressed on new models, both RT and F3.
    CANBUS - need I say more? Nothing wrong with the communications protocol. This is not even BRP Specific. A number of powersports companies use it.
    Weak windshield supports Fully addressed on new F3 model.
    Cost/ease of simple maintenance (oil change being the main culprit). No more expensive or difficult to maintain than other powersports vehicles. Newer models have also drasticly reduced maintenance intervals and requirements.
    Incompetent dealer service departments and techs and need for non-available diagnostic tools for owners. I completely agree with you on the dealer network. This is the biggest problem BRP needs to address. The diagnostic software (BUDS) is readily available to anyone that wants to purchase it. This is no different than every automobile or other powersports vehicle in production. BRP does not even make this, its third party.
    Difficulty checking/airing rear tire With the right air chuck, there is no problem checking or filling the rear tire. I do this multiple times a day on Spyders. Get the right tool for the job.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure its fake news. Any spyder under $10,000 would certainly be a piece of junk. Heck, our $30k machines have enough problems now. Can you imagine if they made them with cheaper parts? They would be in the shop ALL the time.

I say, if BRP wants to increase Spyder sales, lower the price. If they can offer $4500 rebates on new Spyders, then they can lower the MSRP on all their Spyders which should increase sales so dealers dont have to try and sell leftovers that are 1 or 2 years old. Win-Win.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 07-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those big rebates are on non-current models. They want to get them cleared off of showroom floors.
    So do the dealers: they've been paying floorplans on them!

It's almost an even bet; that they couldn't stay in business with these pricing strategies in place full-time.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSpyder View Post
    I can readily name at least a dozen cars manufactured within the past two and a half decades that were "Yugo" like. If you want current examples consider the SmartCar and anything by Fiat. American manufacturers are not exempt either. GM's diesel powered sedans, the pseudo Chev/Cadillac, Pontiac Fiero, Chevy Nova....the list goes on.

If the name "SpyderLovers" suggests the only admissible topics are to praise the Spyder then someone should publish the reason for the site's existence. Otherwise, I assume, as would most people that all discussions relevant to the Spyder are eligible for discussion.

Weak windshield supports
    Kenda tires

Note: These are not necessarily MY personal issues but those I have gleaned from the many posts on this site.

A motorcycle-type vehicle costing over $30,000 new should excel at both design and maintainability. The Spyder falls very short of that standard. I have owned dozens of two-wheelers over the years including some very labor intensive British marques but none of them have even come close to the absurdity of the Spyder.

And regarding Can-Am's other products - someone mentioned Sea-Doo. I was doing some intensive research a few months ago on PWC's and was not impressed by the Sea-Doo line when compared to other manufactures. While some of their models seem to perform very well, especially in salt water, their turbo engines have several very weak areas including the use of porcelain washers which fail frequently and cause catastrophic damage to the engine. This type of design failure is inexcusable. The bottom line is I see similar systemic discrepancies in the design, manufacture and support of their PWC's that I see in the Spyder. I will never touch another Can-Am product as a result.
    As I recall the Yugo was a Fiat design that they sold to the commies.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I'll be ordering two of them as soon as they hit the market. This is not a replacement for your Spyder so why all the negative stuff before you even see it and the market it's going after? It will be the Spark of the Spyder world and the Spark has done pretty well and is a blast to ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty interested in seeing what it's going to be also! I'm thinking that a simpler, lighter bike could be a real hoot!

Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-13-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I'm sure its fake news. Any spyder under $10,000 would certainly be a piece of junk. Heck, our $30k machines have enough problems now. Can you imagine if they made them with cheaper parts? They would be in the shop ALL the time.

I say, if BRP wants to increase Spyder sales, lower the price. If they can offer $4500 rebates on new Spyders, then they can lower the MSRP on all their Spyders which should increase sales so dealers dont have to try and sell leftovers that are 1 or 2 years old. Win-Win.
    Well I am willing to bet you are wrong. I KNOW they are coming out with an "entry level" Spyder and my sources in BRP, and Lamont's post above should prove that point!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What we need to see... some pictures, and perhaps a few details!

Spyder Garage

Plus, I'd love to see a smaller one for metro areas. The Nikken seems to do well there, why not something smaller from BRP? Plus with a pricepoint that doesn't appeal to the touring or high sport category just might be the ticket.

I love my F3. I wouldn't trade it in now that I have it. However as it is my first bike period, that price was a bit to shoulder. I decided to roll the dice because I wanted to try. Many may not due to the risk. Had there been one more entry level, I think it would be an easier entry for those first riders.
    Particularly as the interest rates rise......
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'll be ordering two of them as soon as they hit the market. This is not a replacement for your Spyder so why all the negative stuff before you even see it and the market it's going after? It will be the Spark of the Spyder world and the Spark has done pretty well and is a blast to ride.
    As a support/merchandiser for aftermarket pieces and parts for the Spyder community I can easily understand why you would be wanting the new model(s). But as with a fresh model of a new car it is probably best for the average buyer to wait to see how it plays out in real life. First issues are notoriously trouble prone.

My post was not targeted at the Spark however but Can-Am in general. Researching their PWC offerings uncovered a ton of similar complaints as have been listed on this site with Spyders. I am thinking their engineering, design and manufacturing processes need to be proofed to ensure these types of issues are not systemic because it sure seems as if they are.

And an afterthought: Do you know if Trump's tariffs are going to affect Can-Am products? If so, it will be yet another bridge to cross for the new, "low cost" vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Plus, I'd love to see a smaller one for metro areas. The Nikken seems to do well there, why not something smaller from BRP? Plus with a pricepoint that doesn't appeal to the touring or high sport category just might be the ticket.

I love my F3. I wouldn't trade it in now that I have it. However as it is my first bike period, that price was a bit to shoulder. I decided to roll the dice because I wanted to try. Many may not due to the risk. Had there been one more entry level, I think it would be an easier entry for those first riders.

First, I'll say there is nothing wrong with the idea of an under $10,000 spyder. I'm just curious about the statement I bolded. Do you feel it will be easier to maneuver for the metro riding, and/or less gas expense?

I just re-read your post. It looks like your saying it is an easier entry for first timers. I'm still curious about the metro comment. Maybe you think it may not have enough power for the highway? Just curious.

Spyder Garage

Just saw a Chinese 250 version of Can-am for $3500 yesterday

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might have been a Chinese version of something: but Can Am had nothing to do with it!

Spyder Garage

Yugo, I haven't heard that name in years. Back in the early 80's I was building spec homes for myself. We purchased 25 Yugo's and put 1 in the garage of the homes as an incentive, free car with every home. Brings back memories!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I heard that they wanted to bring out a four door version: the Wego!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Yugo, I haven't heard that name in years. Back in the early 80's I was building spec homes for myself. We purchased 25 Yugo's and put 1 in the garage of the homes as an incentive, free car with every home. Brings back memories!
    Why did you hate your customers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post

Exactly, I too would like to see a "commuter version" of the Spyder that won't break my piggy bank. Something to get me from point A to point B in the city during the weekday and some cruising fun over the weekend. My wife and I are currently sharing a 2017 RT but now starting to think we each should be riding our own Spyder. A $10,000 Spyder is exactly what we're looking for. We'll of course plan to ride two-up on the RT for long trips and share the driving.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our $10000 Spyder is our GS. With all the complaints about the later models (yeah yeah, squeaky wheel and all, but there seems to be a lot of them) I think we'll keep our simpler Spyder until it falls apart. It's been trouble free in the 7 years we've owned it. Replacement with a newer potentially more complex model isn't in the cards on a retiree income.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    First, I'll say there is nothing wrong with the idea of an under $10,000 spyder. I'm just curious about the statement I bolded. Do you feel it will be easier to maneuver for the metro riding, and/or less gas expense?

I just re-read your post. It looks like your saying it is an easier entry for first timers. I'm still curious about the metro comment. Maybe you think it may not have enough power for the highway? Just curious.
    A few months ago I visited Paris and found it interesting that mostly people rode scotters, or narrow sports bikes. I think I might have seen one tour bike. Many bikes get preferred areas over area, those areas are too small for current spyders.

So just curious if a new one would be smaller perhaps? Fit better in spaces for those areas.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a completely different type of riding over there... We're spread out across a Continent...
    They just don't need the big "Horizon Chasers" over there. Touring one Nation might be equivalent to touring just s single one of our States.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am interested in seeing what a $10k version will look like. But I don't think I will be getting one, unless the wife want's her own spyder. I am very happy with my F3T and will be riding it for years to come. I do like the fact that the msrp will be under $10k. Because that might mean that come Sept. of 2019, they may be out there for around $8k or less. Most of the times, there is at least a 25% savings near the end of the year.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white