Thread: De-cell Pop

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default De-cell Pop

2016 F30s with Lamonster cat deleat pipe and big city baffle with factory muffler. Has a pretty bad de-cell pop to it. Is this normal or should I look at a fuel controller or something? Have not checked plugs yet. Thx in advance

Bruce
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Default decel pop

Popping on decel is a lean condition.
    Last edited by Deputy56; 07-09-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

My low cost fix is just applying a super small amount of throttle on decel/braking... keeps the pops down...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

A fuel remap is the only sure-fire way to prevent the popping you are experiencing, given your current configuration. However, you could try a total BUDS reset and let the system relearn the fuel mapping. That's not certain, because a lot of motorcycles computer systems are preset at the factory to operate with the factory intake and exhaust configurations and can only make small adjustments for altitude and ambient temperature. Thank you EPA.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Decell pops in the modern fuel injected engine are not truly indications of lean condition.

Granted, the exhaust leak is always a possibility so I won't discuss that.

The modern fuel injected engine is loaded with sensors and is expected to obtain efficiency. One method to reduce fuel consumption is to have the computer sense a closed throttle, and with that, if the engine is being overdriven by the rear tire, no fuel is needed to sustain the engine to keep it running. As the machine slows down, the overrunning also slows. As the computer senses the engine will stall, it begins to add slight amounts of fuel to sustain it. Often, these blips of fuel, are ignited but also sent into the exhaust system, giving that pop sound. Chances are, if you reinstall the cat, the symptom still exists, however the added baffling will subdue the sound.

The person that mentioned add a slight amount of throttle, yes that works, since the computer is not seeing a closed throttle and is being told to rev the engine up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    2016 F30s with Lamonster cat deleat pipe and big city baffle with factory muffler. Has a pretty bad de-cell pop to it. Is this normal or should I look at a fuel controller or something? Have not checked plugs yet. Thx in advance

Bruce
    Did you do the 15 minute run in when you added the cat delete? The 1330 does have a tendency to pop on decel with the cat delete since it has less backpressure.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    My low cost fix is just applying a super small amount of throttle on decel/braking... keeps the pops down...
    Thanks JWulf, ever since you posted this (in this thread or a different one I can't recall) I've been successfully applying your technique and have quit looking for a 998 V-twin baffle. It works great!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thanks JWulf, ever since you posted this (in this thread or a different one I can't recall) I've been successfully applying your technique and have quit looking for a 998 V-twin baffle. It works great!
    Exactly, the engine is not having the fuel flow at 0.0 during throttle off decell. By keeping a slight amount of throttle applied, the computer does not go from zero fuel to blips of fuel to keep it running. With a partial throttle, you are commanding the engine to run above idle during decell.

Other than noise, the pops essentially are harmless to the engine or machine.