Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Genius maps has now become useless.

Started last week. Whenever I try and use the Genius Maps app on my dashboard. In 1 to 10 minutes the audio volume will go to full. The audio screen controls will lock up. Can't lower the volume or mute. But I can reach up and pull the usb cable out of my phone. Immediately the volume will return to normal, regain control of the volume and mute function.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are there any updates available for either Genius Maps, BRP Connect, or your bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are there any updates available for either Genius Maps, BRP Connect, or your bike?
    I think the problem started after an update. There was a BRP Connect app update and a Genius map update. I am at the latest and greatest 12.2 dash firmware.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you have the dealer take you back to the earlier version?

(Sorry... this is about all that I can come up with! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you have the dealer take you back to the earlier version?

(Sorry... this is about all that I can come up with! )
    My thoughts as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The BRP update to the dash is fine. Fixed a lot of problems. So the dealer does not need to get involved that way. I did not have the Genius Map issue right after the dash update. Plus in a couple weeks I will get my first service done. The kms are going on. Will have a discussion then. Everything works great when the phone is only BT connected to the dash. I can answer phone calls. Play the tunes that are on my phone. Skip forward or back. When I shut it down. It will start playing the song that it left off at. Things start going wrong when the USB cable is plugged in. Volume drops a little bit. The audio skips a little bit once and awhile. Title and artist of the song will freeze on the dash. It will randomly mute itself. Mostly between tracks, but other times as well. Often after starting it will go back to the beginnig and start playing the songs in alphabetical order. No way to change to a different album or playlist without stopping. Then if I try and use the Genius Map app. It gets even worse as described above.

Going to give up on the BRP connect app. I have ordered a phone holder from Lamont. The glove box was just too hot for my phone anyway. If I closed the lid the phone would go into overheating mode. So I had to drive around with the lid open. When I put the phone in a secure place I can see it. I will try using it as my gps and the turn by turn directions should still come out the speakers when needed. When using BT audio. I will see how that works.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I ran a USB cord to the glove box and now my phone is on a handle bar mount from Spyderpops, works real good and no overheating problems, also easy to reach and see.

The USB cable will fit into the glove box behind the cluster on the left hand side where the plug is and is relatively easy to get to.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I ran a USB cord to the glove box and now my phone is on a handle bar mount from Spyderpops, works real good and no overheating problems, also easy to reach and see.

The USB cable will fit into the glove box behind the cluster on the left hand side where the plug is and is relatively easy to get to.

Cruzr Joe
    I may do the same thing. I see there are a couple spots nearby to get switched 12v.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you using the phone’s cable or an aftermarket one? I found that when hearing Genius Maps directions it sometimes locks the music and eventually crashes and I have to stop, shut the bike off and restart. I have found muting the Maps works fine. Also, Rever needs to be started before opening up on th bike or BRP Connect crashes. Just did an IOS update so will have to see if that does anything.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default I completely gave up on BRP connect

The app is so clunky, issues right and left.
    Genius maps are hard to program, especially if you want to have multiple stops at one ride, or force it to go a certain road.
    I now use my phone as a GPS with a Lamonster RAM mount on my handlebar.

SPYDERGAL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Are you using the phone’s cable or an aftermarket one? I found that when hearing Genius Maps directions it sometimes locks the music and eventually crashes and I have to stop, shut the bike off and restart. I have found muting the Maps works fine. Also, Rever needs to be started before opening up on th bike or BRP Connect crashes. Just did an IOS update so will have to see if that does anything.
    I use a an aftermarket cable. That's because my phone won't fit in the glove box with a straight cable and my OE cable is straight, like most are. I got a 90 degree cable and it is certified USB 3. It will not be a problem. I will try muting the maps and see if that makes a difference. Rever is not available for android.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The entire selling point of the Advanced Gauge Cluster was to provide the interface with phones, GPS, etc, for convenience and safety; that's what they state in their videos. My advice to BRP is get their designers out of their safe place and off their iPhone X to see what the real users/owners are experiencing. I've spent hours, no, days, investigating and experimenting with the device to get it usable. I have posted on this forum, and on FB, the pages of instructions on getting BRP Connect functioning only to have some other flipping problem come up when we're on the road. To be fair, Sena owns part of this issue as well, at least with their 30K headsets.

I'm open to any direction on fixing the problems associated with BRP Connect, an Android phone, and Sena headsets.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    The entire selling point of the Advanced Gauge Cluster was to provide the interface with phones, GPS, etc, for convenience and safety; that's what they state in their videos. My advice to BRP is get their designers out of their safe place and off their iPhone X to see what the real users/owners are experiencing. I've spent hours, no, days, investigating and experimenting with the device to get it usable. I have posted on this forum, and on FB, the pages of instructions on getting BRP Connect functioning only to have some other flipping problem come up when we're on the road. To be fair, Sena owns part of this issue as well, at least with their 30K headsets.

I'm open to any direction on fixing the problems associated with BRP Connect, an Android phone, and Sena headsets.

Wayne
    In my case the Sena SMH10 headset has worked flawlessly with the dash. Paired the first time and reconnects each and every time without fail. Cannot complain about it at all.

My phone. The dash has lost BT the pairing twice so far. It will BT reconnect most of the time. As long as I don't plug the usb cable in. The BT works great. The audio is good. I can replay songs. Skip to the next song. When the phone rings. If their name is in your contacts. It will display on the dash. Joystick right to answer. Joystick left not. When phone call is done. Down joystick to hangup. Hands never leave the handle bars.

When the USB cable is plugged in and the BRP Connect app starts up. That does not work well. The BT sound quality deteriorates. There are skips and stutters. The dash will mute the audio often for no apparent reason. The song title and artist will freeze on the screen and never change. When you try and use Genius Maps. If it outputs any audio. The Spyder goes to full volume and the audio controls lockup. So I have been advised that I have to mute the map app. That will prevent that issue. I guess I will have to do that. Still plan on uninstalling the BRP Connect app from my phone. Mounting it where I can see, use it as the GPS screen and it won't cook.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am using Lamonster’s extension cable for my iPhone and I have no problems listening to phone music and using Genius maps as well as Rever and FOBO plus the Accuweather. I mute the Maps otherwise it causes problems and I loose music and have to shut down to reset. I have to open Rever before opening it on the bike. I have the phone up on the dash so if there are problems I can get to it easily.

I would like Sirius XM and FM/Aux in the headset. I would also like to choose what apps I need to see in the dash.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Flamewinger: repeatedly I have asked about Android phones and apps for them as was promised in the sales ads following the AGC release. The only answers I get are iPhone-based. What about the 55% of the cell phone market that is not on iPhone?

Wayne

p.s. allegedly, BRP is "working on it". There has been no acknowledgement from BRP that they have any issues to fix. The dealer network has no information to offer (based on the 4 dealers that I have visited). By definition, that's called 'vaporware'.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Flamewinger: repeatedly I have asked about Android phones and apps for them as was promised in the sales ads following the AGC release. The only answers I get are iPhone-based. What about the 55% of the cell phone market that is not on iPhone?

Wayne

p.s. allegedly, BRP is "working on it". There has been no acknowledgement from BRP that they have any issues to fix. The dealer network has no information to offer (based on the 4 dealers that I have visited). By definition, that's called 'vaporware'.

Have you tried getting in touch with Shawn Smoaks Pro Caliber Motorsports in Vancouver Wash? He is the Spyder Tech and knows quite a bit about the new Spyders.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried getting in touch with Shawn Smoaks Pro Caliber Motorsports in Vancouver Wash? He is the Spyder Tech and knows quite a bit about the new Spyders.
    All of his videos are, as of last week, iPhone specific. Apparently your new dash isn't working yet with a an iPhone based your other post.

I switched out our Sena 30K headsets today and it worked for the entire 5-hour ride with multiple start / stops, reconnecting the Samsung phone and headset each time. Still not actively using Genius GPS as it was easier to install a Garmin 660 unit (that one can see and program). Took phone calls today, too. I'm not at the machine but I believe that was the update version installed during the last dealer visit; I'll confirm tomorrow.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 07-12-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ya think he hasn't had customers with Samsung phones? I guess its easier to use what you know rather than try something new. I made a point of learning Genius and use it every time I ride. Soon, with the newest update (13.20) hopefully the voiced directions won't screw up the music and Rever will work better.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rever app is available for Android

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I use a an aftermarket cable. That's because my phone won't fit in the glove box with a straight cable and my OE cable is straight, like most are. I got a 90 degree cable and it is certified USB 3. It will not be a problem. I will try muting the maps and see if that makes a difference. Rever is not available for android.
    TomG

Spyder Garage

The 13.2 update is supposedly out now, and is supposed to fix some of the issues with genius maps. Rever is also supposed to be updating the app to fix issues with it crashing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    TomG
    Rever app is not available according to the BRP Connect app on my android phone. Neither is AccuWeather. Couple weeks ago Accuweather after a Connect app update, showed up. Couple days later another update and it was gone. BRP's website still list both apps as coming soon on google play.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ya think he hasn't had customers with Samsung phones? I guess its easier to use what you know rather than try something new. I made a point of learning Genius and use it every time I ride. Soon, with the newest update (13.20) hopefully the voiced directions won't screw up the music and Rever will work better.
    Frankly, yes, I think you're blowing smoke and you don't know.

I've worked in technology since the mid-90's and have used computational modeling software that required working with the code house to find and fix their problems on UNIX and Windows platforms. As for BRP Connect, I'll wager it was contracted out to a third-world company with crappy specs and no software QA @ BRP. Or it would have worked. Did I miss something?

BRP Connect doesn't work as promised on an Android device AND THERE IS NO F'g PLACE TO GET INFORMATION. What part of that do you not understand? No where can I find anyone with information on getting the system to work, as promise, on an Android device. With the multiple handoffs in BT protocol, I'm trying to get one app/function stable before jumping into more. You're on an Apple system, their apparent system of choice, and still having problems.

The switching out of the headset units did not work. Still not stable. It's a 3-hour round trip to my dealer. Their tech got on their touchline support and
    confirmed issues we are having.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Default I apologize

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Rever app is not available according to the BRP Connect app on my android phone. Neither is AccuWeather. Couple weeks ago Accuweather after a Connect app update, showed up. Couple days later another update and it was gone. BRP's website still list both apps as coming soon on google play.
    I was thinking of Android itself, not BRP Connect.

TomG

Spyder Garage

So yesterday I went to Port Dover for Friday 13th. Along with 150,000 other people. So before I went. My phone did an update overnight. Which has happened several times. The BRP Connect BT pairing disappeared from my phone again. But the pairing for my house phone and Uconnect for truck was still there. Well that's mystery why that happens. So I deleted the phone pairing from the dash and paired the 2 together again.

For the BT audio. I did that directly from my phone. Instead of using the Music option inside the BRP Connect app. It just works better.

Genius Maps. Flamewinger is right. Any audio from the app locks up the display. So the app has to be muted and muted again every time it is restarted. Does not remember as a preference. I found it easier to start the app before plugging in the usb cable. It was easier to mute that way. I hate the 3D map view and defaults to that each and every time. Does not remember as a preference. The GPS guidance worked well. Almost 2 hrs into the ride and almost arriving there. Suddenly the dash said to to connect the usb cable and the gps screen lights up on the phone. Yet the dash still showed the phone as charging. Since the phone is on my handle bars now. I unplugged the usb cable. Then plugged it back in. The dash reconnected.

On the way home. The BT audio stopped but the dash did not show anything wrong. It was not locked up. Just no sound. Unplugging and plugging back in the usb cable did nothing. Pulled over to the side of the road. Turned off the key. Waited a minute. Started the bike back up. The dash switched to FM audio instead of BT. So I switched it back. Then I notice that my headset did not reconnect. The dash lost the pairing for the headset. Paired the headset again.

When I got home. MY phone battery was at 35% charge. It was at a 100% when I left. There is not enough power on that usb cable to keep up with the needs of my phone. When just using BT audio it can barely maintain the battery charge. But when using the gps app as well. It just cannot keep up.
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BB's description

billybovine's description is quite accurate on how our system is behaving, sans Genius Maps as we haven't tried to integrate it yet. It would seem the Genius Maps is not a driver for the malfunction.

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500