Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake won't Release

I have a 2015 Limited and I am stuck 15 miles from home and 100 miles from the nearest dealer which most are closed today.

My parking break will not release. The red light flashes until I press the brake release then it goes solid but the break will not release. Then when I turn the key off it beeps as if the brake is not set. Any suggestions on how to get it to release?

Spyder Garage

Default Guessing

Until someone with a lot more knowledge responds to you, I would try pressing on the foot brake as you release/engage the parking brake. The other thing I would check is to see if there is a fuse for the parking brake that you could pull. Sorry if this doesn't help! I am sure there is something mechanical you can adjust/loosen, but I am not savvy enough to tell you what that may be.

Spyder Garage

Default Had the same problem

Had the same problem to get back on the road use a 12mm wrench right side rear to release the parking brake cable you can leave it undone to get it home or dealer. Remember if you stop somewhere you will need to chock the wheels. Mine ended up being a switch failure. Note: Your regular brakes will still work for stopping.

I now carry a 12mm with me just for this reason.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 07-09-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    I have a 2015 Limited and I am stuck 15 miles from home and 100 miles from the nearest dealer which most are closed today.

My parking break will not release. The red light flashes until I press the brake release then it goes solid but the break will not release. Then when I turn the key off it beeps as if the brake is not set. Any suggestions on how to get it to release?

i have this happening randomly on my 2016 RT-S--- i remove cable from rear wheel--- reinstall--- so far this has worked every time. maybe 3-5 weeks between this happening... no codes.. have no fix just this bandaid... maybe someone has had dealer diagnose and permanent fix this...i carry 2- 12mm... sad reality..

let us know when/if dealer fixes...

March 20, 2019
    In a follow up to the above post, regarding the parking brake. all the same conditions and beeps as previously. I have been removing it from rear wheel stay and then the front pulley is able to turn and work normal. Retighten back to factory set and have fun riding… for a while—maybe few weeks, then lock on again…remove cable…repeat. Last week, the front pulley rotated so much, no way to remove from rear mounting point. I removed the rear parking brake stay from the “hub”, and also removed the pulley wheel up front to release the cable. Dealer said may be parking brake switch, so I replaced. Now when remounting front pulley… manual states to hook up to BUDS…….Set pulley at its reference. Wondering if this was the problem all along? Bike is 2016 RT.. under warranty…except I live in Hawaii… Can am has no support in this 50th state… I can ride everyday…that’s how nice the weather is and I often do, but this type of small problem keeps the bike on jack stands!
    If anyone has any insight into this I appreciate the feedback…trying to avoid dropping 1k on Buds program. If this can be fixed without it. At this point confused as to procedure. Also if anyone is has suggestions for service when far from dealer…for example… licensed shop… work on it and Can am honor warranty of their product??

Thank you all for any thoughts on this problem…seems like a defect…mmmm..
    Last edited by JOEMOTO; 03-20-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: updated info

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help....How expensive was it to replace the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Had the same problem to get back on the road use a 12mm wrench right side rear to release the parking brake cable you can leave it undone to get it home or dealer. Remember if you stop somewhere you will need to chock the wheels. Mine ended up being a switch failure. Note: Your regular brakes will still work for stopping.

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure

Not sure as mine was covered under warranty.

Thanks for the help....How expensive was it to replace the switch?

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake

Either the switch or the motor. Possibly the cable. Remove from rear caliper. Try switch. If cable moves, cable ok. If nothing moves, but cable is not pinched or bent or stuck, remove side panel. You will see motor and front pulley. Remove cable, test for movement. If cable moves freely, try switch. If nothing happens, use a voltmeter to see if power is going to the motor. If yes, motor bad. If no, switch bad. Replace.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default spyder brake stuck

FWIW, after reading the few posits regarding this, I tried to listen for the servo motor (if there is one) while pushing the "P" button & heard nothing . So I took a bigger screwdriver & tapped around the the "P" button. this worked. So the switch must have been simply sticking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL had an issue with the PB today. Was running some errands and at one point when I was going to get going the PB wouldn't let loose. I tried walking around the block with the key, I tried depressing the brake hard enough to release the floorboard and nothing. I was able to release the cable and ride home. I just checked it and it's working fine. I have a service appt set up for next week and I'll take it out and see if I can get it to go bad again.

Now one thought, I have Tried-axis handlebars and the Spyder tech had a brioken shoulder and supervised another guy to do the work leaving him to put it all back together. I got it home with missing bolts and wrong bolts used and I'm wondering if some wires are pinched or something? Guess I'm carring a couple of 12mm wrenches and packable wheel chocks just in case.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Not a common problem, but I see more posts on this brake problem since my 1st bout with it a couple of years ago.
    Happened to me 3 times and was eventually fixed under warranty by the dealer. Parking brake motor was the culprit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took my 2018 RTL in and the dealer has confirmed the PB motor is bad and now I wait for a new one. Luckily it will be a rainy couple of weeks. A friend tells me he’s heard of 4 others that have had the motor go bad.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Frankly I wish they had a manual parking brake. Too much electronics will eventually give u grief.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Frankly I wish they had a manual parking brake. Too much electronics will eventually give u grief.

and we're seeing toooo much of that already.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Took my 2018 RTL in and the dealer has confirmed the PB motor is bad ........ A friend tells me he’s heard of 4 others that have had the motor go bad.
    I had a list of members last year with the same complaint, that numbered 14.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

We started with 2 Spyder RS in 2009 and both had problems with the manual parking brakes ... they were not stable ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just had to have wifes 2018 rt parking brake engine replaced i know thats what the service tech said it was called

Spyder Garage

Just dropped my 16 RTS off at the dealer with the same issue.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Got it back, dealer said BRP told him to do a couple tests, and when they were done, told him to replace the brake motor.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 RT. My park brake wouldn’t unlock today, took linkage off so I could get home, got it home, it started working. Hooked linkage back up, still worked, came in to eat lunch, went back out to park it, wouldn’t unlock again. I guess I’ll have to take it to dealer and hopefully they can figure it out. It’s still under warranty. Sounds like there’s something wrong with this setup.

Spyder Garage

April 30 2019
    I have posted earlier... see text from it below this new entry... I have not had a single problem since the repair noted below.... will advise it it goes south...however worse and worse front vibration when braking... think its warped discs... have EBC with Pads on the way...will advise when installed. thank you all for the information and brotherhood

i have this happening randomly on my 2016 RT-S--- i remove cable from rear wheel--- reinstall--- so far this has worked every time. maybe 3-5 weeks between this happening... no codes.. have no fix just this bandaid... maybe someone has had dealer diagnose and permanent fix this...i carry 2- 12mm... sad reality..

let us know when/if dealer fixes...

March 20, 2019
    In a follow up to the above post, regarding the parking brake. all the same conditions and beeps as previously. I have been removing it from rear wheel stay and then the front pulley is able to turn and work normal. Retighten back to factory set and have fun riding… for a while—maybe few weeks, then lock on again…remove cable…repeat. Last week, the front pulley rotated so much, no way to remove from rear mounting point. I removed the rear parking brake stay from the “hub”, and also removed the pulley wheel up front to release the cable. Dealer said may be parking brake switch, so I replaced. Now when remounting front pulley… manual states to hook up to BUDS…….Set pulley at its reference. Wondering if this was the problem all along? Bike is 2016 RT.. under warranty…except I live in Hawaii… Can am has no support in this 50th state… I can ride everyday…that’s how nice the weather is and I often do, but this type of small problem keeps the bike on jack stands!
    If anyone has any insight into this I appreciate the feedback…trying to avoid dropping 1k on Buds program. If this can be fixed without it. At this point confused as to procedure. Also if anyone is has suggestions for service when far from dealer…for example… licensed shop… work on it and Can am honor warranty of their product??

Thank you all for any thoughts on this problem…seems like a defect…mmmm..

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem. the dealership is replacing the motor.

Spyder Garage

Ditto,ditto,ditto. Mine at the dealer last two days. Had brake light come on many times, but would release by itself. This time wouldn't release. Had to have it towed on flatbed. Waiting to hear from dealer, Broward Motorsports. Why hasn't BRP handled this problem? It has been going on for many years. Should have been a fix by now!! Thanks for letting me vent.

Spyder Garage

Let the beeper run until it stops by itself, then turn on key and it should be good to go....
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Default disconnect the parking brake cable

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post

where is the parking brake cable located? I need to disconnect the parking brake cable because it's stuck..thank..if you can provide images that would be great. thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

post 3