Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Want to help start a list and get BURPS (BRP) attention on how to improve???

I recently purchased a brand new 2018 RT SE6 and I am very happy with it. I have 1148 miles on it and will be selling my 2004 Yamaha Royal Star Venture that I put 65k+ miles on (it had 24k when I bought it in 2006). The Yamaha is starting to cost more to maintain than it's worth (for some reason things keep breaking on it $$$$) and it gets a bit heavy for me some days. I hope to have a lot more years of riding (I'm 67) and figured the Spyder would be the way to go. My very best friend older than me got one two years and and it was the best thing he ever did. So far I believe I did not make a mistake but there are things that burp BRP needs to get in the ball game with.

Some of these on the list I have discussed in prior posts and read a lot of the same complaints.....BRP actually replied to one of mine and said call them. I might as well have called a random number and who knows where that might have led to.....

1. Plastic is cheap. Body panels don't fit tight and connection tabs show through the gaps
    2. AM Radio is alive and well. Why isn't it on the radio.
    3. The BT (bluetooth) system connects to my Sena but doesn't send audio (even the screen says it when doing configurations) Lots of complaints on that one. What good is it then.
    4. Why is there no way to open the frunk without having to turn off the motor? Stop to grab something out of the front.....shut off the motor.
    5. As someone replied to on one of my posts....Why is the schrader valve on the back tire NOT on the right side instead of up under the drive pulley/belt.
    6. As cheap as it would be why isn't there at least one usb port or accessory plug available to the driver. Frunk?? Trunk?? I sit in the drivers seat........
    7. The helmet hangers under the seat are a joke. Easily broken off and you look forward to wear/scratch the side where you have to stretch to hang the helmet. I posted pictures in a prior post of my solution to that problem cheap and easy.
    8. The owners manual is major lacking in ANYTHING especially to do with the audio system, the Eco mode and many other things. I thank a lot of people here on the forum for the info I have gotten. Especially on how to configure the radio. Everything I "thought" wasn't in the system is there. Just have to know how to toggle or push or other wise. NOT IN THE MANUAL.
    9. BRP Connect is a JOKE and everyone knows that. They put in "their thing" and not what people need/want.

For now that's my list. I'll come up with other stuff but in the mean time this is my list. Actually the speakers/audio on the bike are great but I have worked around the audio with a helmet Sena SMH5 connected to my Android phone and enjoy iHeart and Pandora in my helmet like many others have done. I love tunes while riding....

Just a side note my name is John, I am an amateur radio operator KD7AAT and my web site is KD7AAt.NET. Maybe we can connect some time. I'm always on IRLP 9075 and Dstar 29A or XRF35C when 29 is down..........

Safe rides everyone.....

Spyder Garage

Your number #4 complaint you do not have to shut the key off when it is running to open the frunk. You just have to push the key in and turn to the left and back to the right again.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Add Turn Signal switch, but they've heard that for 9-10 years....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Add to list.................

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    I recently purchased a brand new 2018 RT SE6 and I am very happy with it. I have 1148 miles on it and will be selling my 2004 Yamaha Royal Star Venture that I put 65k+ miles on (it had 24k when I bought it in 2006). The Yamaha is starting to cost more to maintain than it's worth (for some reason things keep breaking on it $$$$) and it gets a bit heavy for me some days. I hope to have a lot more years of riding (I'm 67) and figured the Spyder would be the way to go. My very best friend older than me got one two years and and it was the best thing he ever did. So far I believe I did not make a mistake but there are things that burp BRP needs to get in the ball game with.

Some of these on the list I have discussed in prior posts and read a lot of the same complaints.....BRP actually replied to one of mine and said call them. I might as well have called a random number and who knows where that might have led to.....

1. Plastic is cheap. Body panels don't fit tight and connection tabs show through the gaps
    3. The BT (bluetooth) system connects to my Sena but doesn't send audio (even the screen says it when doing configurations) Lots of complaints on that one. What good is it then.
    4. Why is there no way to open the frunk without having to turn off the motor? Stop to grab something out of the front.....shut off the motor.
    5. As someone replied to on one of my posts....Why is the schrader valve on the back tire NOT on the right side instead of up under the drive pulley/belt.
    6. As cheap as it would be why isn't there at least one usb port or accessory plug available to the driver. Frunk?? Trunk?? I sit in the drivers seat........
    7. The helmet hangers under the seat are a joke. Easily broken off and you look forward to wear/scratch the side where you have to stretch to hang the helmet. I posted pictures in a prior post of my solution to that problem cheap and easy.
    8. The owners manual is major lacking in ANYTHING especially to do with the audio system, the Eco mode and many other things. I thank a lot of people here on the forum for the info I have gotten. Especially on how to configure the radio. Everything I "thought" wasn't in the system is there. Just have to know how to toggle or push or other wise. NOT IN THE MANUAL.
    9. BRP Connect is a JOKE and everyone knows that. They put in "their thing" and not what people need/want.

For now that's my list. I'll come up with other stuff but in the mean time this is my list. Actually the speakers/audio on the bike are great but I have worked around the audio with a helmet Sena SMH5 connected to my Android phone and enjoy iHeart and Pandora in my helmet like many others have done. I love tunes while riding....

Just a side note my name is John, I am an amateur radio operator KD7AAT and my web site is KD7AAt.NET. Maybe we can connect some time. I'm always on IRLP 9075 and Dstar 29A or XRF35C when 29 is down..........

Safe rides everyone.....
    FIX THE PROBLEMS with reliability of the ACS components/system !!
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're not the only one, I wonder why they forgot AM. I enjoy phone music in my Sena headset and would like to hear FM and Aux in the headset as well. I see its an option so maybe it will soon. Satellite radio should be their next fix (along with fixing Rever and Genius Maps voice commands). Other wise its a great ride!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Safe rides everyone.....
    Hi Ride2GetHigh,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us!

We will most definitely forward your comments to the appropriate department for consideration.

Regarding your comment #3;

BRP does not garanty compatibilty with every headset brand. The current list of supported headset is:
    • SENA SMH10
    • SENA 20S
    • Nolan N-Com B3
    • Nolan N-Com B5
    Headset not included in this list can still be used but it could happen that some headset are not compatible. To help avoid any compatibility issues, always ensure the latest software is installed.

Regarding your comment #8 & 9;

The following are links that contain videos and a list of FAQ's explaining the new display technology and BRP Connect and Audio.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/techno...echnology.html

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...p-connect.html

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com

Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email to ensure we have all the necessary history relating to this conversation.

Best,

Karine, BRP-Care
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What year is this???

Seriously: could you afford the bike if they took the time and manpower to make it perfect?

If you can: would you please buy one for me also??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I believe what he meant was the head set will not connect to the radio ,post # 3
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For what it's worth: the clock on the new dash is keeping time pretty darn well!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Add Turn Signal switch, but they've heard that for 9-10 years....
    Yours doesn't have a turn signal switch?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see...

For many of the complains we see it is not them but their suppliers. Theirs they can fix the suppliers is a different story. Not always easy to change suppliers when your a small fish in the ocean. If more ryders filled the suggestion box maybe things would get done....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I posted this in the thread Broken Windshield Arm as a reply to BRPcare and will repost it here as well.

I have a question for BRP. Why not make the lifting arm out of a single piece of aluminum like that offered by "noboot"? It is much stronger and better looking than the stock arm.

One thing that most companies do is that once a problem becomes apparent, they seek a way to remedy it. Sometimes it only takes a minor tweak, other times it requires a complete redesign of the item in question. Sometimes it results in money saved, other times it costs a little more. But, there are often savings realized by the customer not having to make a repair (and the resulting downtime involved) by replacing the broken part with an identical part that is prone to the same failure later on.

A major benefit to a redesign of a poor product is an improvement in reliability. The result of that is happy customers, which results in even more happy customers as they tell others about their good experience with your product. That results in more sales and more money for the company. That is a win-win situation for all involved.

The alternative is to continue on and ignore a known problem. This will result in unhappy customers who will tell others of their bad experience. This will often times lead to others not even involved telling their version of the story which will include exaggerations (mostly inaccurate) that will have an adverse impact on your sales, which in turn leads to an adverse impact of your profits, which WILL impact your jobs.

So BRP, which will it be?
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-09-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Safe rides everyone.....
    Wow, in the time it took you to compile your b---h list, I could have enjoyed a 200 mile ryde. Ryde more, complain less, or just sell the d--n machine!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Wow, in the time it took you to compile your b---h list, I could have enjoyed a 200 mile ryde. Ryde more, complain less, or just sell the d--n machine!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2015 RTL Yep, you are right, it is not a perfect machine, but in my book a VERY nice one, and man is it a lot of fun to ride. As far as problems, mine has only had one small one in 30,000 miles, the acs compressor!!

With all of the features it has, and all of the sophisticated electronics, I think it is well designed.

Ok, time to plan my next ride, gotta go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Ride2GetHigh,

We will most definitely forward your comments to the appropriate department for consideration.

BRP does not garanty compatibilty with every headset brand. The current list of supported headset is:
    • SENA SMH10
    • SENA 20S
    • Nolan N-Com B3
    • Nolan N-Com B5
    Headset not included in this list can still be used but it could happen that some headset are not compatible. To help avoid any compatibility issues, always ensure the latest software is installed.

The following are links that contain videos and a list of FAQ's explaining the new display technology and BRP Connect and Audio.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com

Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email to ensure we have all the necessary history relating to this conversation.

Best,

Karine, BRP-Care
    I guess he forgot to ad the vibrations caused by the belt and that all on this board are spending more money to ad an after-market belt tensioner to correct the issue. Mine, a 2018 RTL has the vibration from day one. That should be corrected under warranty by BRP.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    I guess he forgot to ad the vibrations caused by the belt and that all on this board are spending more money to ad an after-market belt tensioner to correct the issue. Mine, a 2018 RTL has the vibration from day one. That should be corrected under warranty by BRP.
    Again such a minor problem, just drive through the vibration and enjoy yourself! Life is too short. I think I have a vibration on both of our spyders, but who cares, it sure doesn't get in the way of all the fun I have ryding!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it bothers you: just don't ride at those speeds.
    Or you can always get one of Doc's tensioners, and it'll be gone!
    (I bought the tensioner, and they work EXACTLY as Doc promises!)

Belt vibration is something that can happen to any belt-driven vehicle. Changing the belt tension will move it up or down the scale a bit: that's about all that you can expect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you should get more miles on your machine (and read more about how it works)...
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-09-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Curious if it's also related to some years/models. Eg; My owners manual had info on the Eco & radio....a bit confused on that one.

Granted I don't have a year's worth of riding yet, so it's still early but I'm currently fine with the performance of my F3. Haven't felt the need yet to do any major adjustments. Added stuff that I wanted based on my riding style.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

a 9 days ago I was ready to get rid of my 2012 rts, WHY, it went into limp mode at 65 mph and I near got rear ended. why did it go into limp mode? junk battery is my opinion about it. in 2017 I installed a "pirate" battery and got a year out of it. bike never did start right with it. pulled it and did a load test and it was junk. I just installed a Yuasa and machine seems to be A OK. these rascals are not perfect by any means. machines break and computers do stupid stuff when supplied power is substandard. oh and I just installed a set of BajaRons' sway bar links (already had his bar), and this thing corners like a go cart now, just faster! will I experience more mechanical/electrical issues with my bike, probably.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    a 9 days ago I was ready to get rid of my 2012 rts, WHY, it went into limp mode at 65 mph and I near got rear ended. why did it go into limp mode? junk battery is my opinion about it. in 2017 I installed a "pirate" battery and got a year out of it. bike never did start right with it. pulled it and did a load test and it was junk. I just installed a Yuasa and machine seems to be A OK. these rascals are not perfect by any means. machines break and computers do stupid stuff when supplied power is substandard. oh and I just installed a set of BajaRons' sway bar links (already had his bar), and this thing corners like a go cart now, just faster! will I experience more mechanical/electrical issues with my bike, probably.
    Boy are you correct on that one. I have a 2003 envoy and when the alternator failed and the battery got low, the windows started going down by themselves and the headlight washers started spraying, then it died.
    I was thinking whats going on, is this thing possessed? Only to find low voltage does strange things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride2GetHigh...

Right on John! Replacing crappy parts with crappy parts is unforgivable and shows a obvious lack of concern for customers after the company has their $$$$.$$. Continually stocking and installing documented defective parts on the assembly line shows the clear lack of reassurance that BRP really cares. As it stands now BRP is at the bottom of the list when it comes to reliability and addressing customer complaints regarding their Spyder product. BRP has to know that other major companies are looking seriously at the three wheel market, and being at the bottom of the list is a hard place to climb out of.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Your number #4 complaint you do not have to shut the key off when it is running to open the frunk. You just have to push the key in and turn to the left and back to the right again.
    Thanks for that info and I tried it. Ask questions, make complaints and you always get answers. Thanks for the info that I've never seen any place else.......
    Three on the ground.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Ride2GetHigh,

• SENA SMH10
    • SENA 20S
    • Nolan N-Com B3
    • Nolan N-Com B5

Best,

Karine, BRP-Care
    Thanks Karine for your reply.
    A call to Sena tells me there is no reason the SMH5 headset shouldn't work any different than the 10 or 20 that BRP supports. It's a matter of firmware not hardware. Yes I have updated the firmware on the SMH5 AND the Spyder RT.
    Why does the dashboard show that the SMH5 is paired if you can't use it? It knows it's there but why put the audio block? Doesn't make sense
    Yes the audio on the RT is fantastic. I actually can't believe the quality from the speakers even at freeway speeds.
    Having to put my phone in the frunk to connect to the BRP connect is worthless. The videos you suggested I have seen. They are a great piece of advertisement on a system that 90% of people I have seen comments from feel the same as I do. If you are going to put something on a vehicle that is limited to the apps you can use, you have to store your phone in the frunk, there are plenty of other options we have been using for years (Google maps FREE and works great) for one, BRP really didn't do their homework on what WE the end user need or want.

And for the others that have different opinions that's your privilege. Just don't tell me to sell it or give it to you or ride it longer before voicing my concerns. What I see is what I say or ask. And I do appreciate the great replies on some of the other things that AREN'T in the manual. (audio programming, frunk opening with engine running) and such.
    Safe travels.......