Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Broken Windshield Arm

DSC01075.jpgDSC01076.jpgYEP, my one broke today, as I have a windshield wiper, I had no idea it was broken 'til I went to raise itin the down position the wiper motor is 1/4 of an inch away from the bulkhead top so it stayed almost put, been a different story if it was screen up, anyway that guy in Aussi has none acording to Ebay, who else makes them? We need some way of bringing pressure on BRP to supply just the arm, someone is making them so surely it's just a question of making a few more, even if it was special order and took a few weeks, at least we wouldn't get ripped of into buying a big chunk of spare part we don't need, which is what BRP seems to do best.
    Never understood manufacturers, they bemoan the aftermarket boys, then hand the business to them on a plate. As mentioned if only we could find the source of some of these parts and bypass BRP .

SO I'm off to the alloy welders in the morning, then later I'll try and weld a steel bar between two bits of tube to make one. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Windshield wiper? I used to have a hand powered Jeep version on my Goldwing basically because the windshield was permanent and wasn’t adjustable. Soon as I could get a shield that could be adjusted I lost the wiper. I could see over the top and didn’t need it anymore.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brp is selling the arm with the gear now along with the aftermarket version from NOboot

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Windshield-Arm
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-08-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

As stated above, I think you can PM SL Member Noboot for his billet version which EVERYONE who's got one has said they're more substantial (which you might need with a Windshield wiper mounted0.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Yes i still have the Billet ones available if you would like to PM me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you also powdercoat them; so that they're Black?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    DSC01075.jpgDSC01076.jpgYEP, my one broke today, as I have a windshield wiper, I had no idea it was broken 'til I went to raise itin the down position the wiper motor is 1/4 of an inch away from the bulkhead top so it stayed almost put, been a different story if it was screen up, anyway that guy in Aussi has none acording to Ebay, who else makes them? We need some way of bringing pressure on BRP to supply just the arm, someone is making them so surely it's just a question of making a few more, even if it was special order and took a few weeks, at least we wouldn't get ripped of into buying a big chunk of spare part we don't need, which is what BRP seems to do best.
    Never understood manufacturers, they bemoan the aftermarket boys, then hand the business to them on a plate. As mentioned if only we could find the source of some of these parts and bypass BRP .

SO I'm off to the alloy welders in the morning, then later I'll try and weld a steel bar between two bits of tube to make one. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress
    Hello

We're sorry to hear of your concerns.

You may purchase a windshield lifting arm repair kit via a certified dealer. The part you will need to order is: 705013108.

If you need help locating a dealer near you, please visit our website and ensure to select the appropriate country, and enter your ZIP-POSTAL code.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam-spyder/en_CA/dealer-locator.html

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly via email at brp.care@brp.com and please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in the body of your email.

Best,

Karine BRP-Care

BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello

We're sorry to hear of your concerns.

You may purchase a windshield lifting arm repair kit via a certified dealer. The part you will need to order is: 705013108.

If you need help locating a dealer near you, please visit our website and ensure to select the appropriate country, and enter your ZIP-POSTAL code.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam-spyder/en_CA/dealer-locator.html

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly via email at brp.care@brp.com and please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in the body of your email.

Best,

Karine BRP-Care

I have a question for BRP. Why not make the lifting arm out of a single piece of aluminum like that offered by "noboot"? It is much stronger and better looking than the stock arm.

One thing that most companies do is that once a problem becomes apparent, they seek a way to remedy it. Sometimes it only takes a minor tweak, other times it requires a complete redesign of the item in question. Sometimes it results in money saved, other times it costs a little more. But, there are often savings realized by the customer not having to make a repair (and the resulting downtime involved) by replacing the broken part with an identical part that is prone to the same failure later on.

A major benefit to a redesign of a poor product is an improvement in reliability. The result of that is happy customers, which results in even more happy customers as they tell others about their good experience with your product. That results in more sales and more money for the company. That is a win-win situation for all involved.

The alternative is to continue on and ignore a known problem. This will result in unhappy customers who will tell others of their bad experience. This will often times lead to others not even involved telling their version of the story which will include exaggerations (mostly inaccurate) that will have an adverse impact on your sales, which in turn leads to an adverse impact of your profits, which WILL impact your jobs.

So BRP, which will it be?
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-09-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Broken windshield arm

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I have a question for BRP. Why not make the lifting arm out of a single piece of aluminum like that offered by "noboot"? It is much stronger and better looking than the stock arm.

One thing that most companies do is that once a problem becomes apparent, they seek a way to remedy it. Sometimes it only takes a minor tweak, other times it requires a complete redesign of the item in question. Sometimes it results in money saved, other times it costs a little more. But, there are often savings realized by the customer not having to make a repair (and the resulting downtime involved) by replacing the broken part with an identical part that is prone to the same failure later on.

A major benefit to a redesign of a poor product is an improvement in reliability. The result of that is happy customers, which results in even more happy customers as they tell others about their good experience with your product. That results in more sales and more money for the company. That is a win-win situation for all involved.

The alternative is to continue on and ignore a known problem. This will result in unhappy customers who will tell others of their bad experience. This will often times lead to others not even involved telling their version of the story which will include exaggerations (mostly inaccurate) that will have an adverse impact on your sales, which in turn leads to an adverse impact of your profits, which WILL impact your jobs.

So BRP, which will it be?
    Very well written, hope BRP take notice, but some manufacturers don't they think they are clever by making a weak part to sell parts.
    I ordered my repair kit today as I urgently need it for holiday next week,it sounded too cheap to me, 67GBP, but meanwhile, until it arrives.

REPAIRED
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you also powdercoat them; so that they're Black?
    Bob,

I took mine to a local power coater and had him do it in black along with the rest of the mount.

Looks fantastic!

You could do the same and it would be ready if/when you replace your stock arm.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    Very well written, hope BRP take notice, but some manufacturers don't they think they are clever by making a weak part to sell parts.
    I ordered my repair kit today as I urgently need it for holiday next week,it sounded too cheap to me, 67GBP, but meanwhile, until it arrives.

REPAIRED
    Sorry my replacement arm is not available till later this month. I look forward to seeing how the installation goes with the replacement BRP arm.

Spyder Garage

Hi, my windshield arm is broken. I have a Spyder RT SE5 2010. Where can I buy the replacement arm, and is there any video showing how to replace it without going to the dealer? I am from Québec, Canada. Does anyone DIY and how long approximately the replacement job took? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sybertra View Post
    Hi, my windshield arm is broken. I have a Spyder RT SE5 2010. Where can I buy the replacement arm, and is there any video showing how to replace it without going to the dealer? I am from Québec, Canada. Does anyone DIY and how long approximately the replacement job took? Thanks in advance.
    cheapcycleparts.com Would be where I would go! As far as video's I would have to do a search, when I took my windshield apart I just winged it! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If ypu PM me your email address I can give yo details and reference to a video for the windsdcreen arm I make

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recommend the NOBOOT arm. I got mine in 4 days and he is in Sydney and I am in the USA.

As Mikey said above most was done by winging it , but the NOBOOT video helped on the arm.

Spyder Garage

Mine is actually being repaired today at the dealer under the extended warranty. I've basically gone 2 weeks without a windshield.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Ron Noboot, for your fast reply

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is the video you need

https://youtu.be/cJ62VCiIe70
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: 'His' = This ;-)
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I recommend the NOBOOT arm. I got mine in 4 days and he is in Sydney and I am in the USA.

As Mikey said above most was done by winging it , but the NOBOOT video helped on the arm.
    I sent him a PM and received the following in reply today;

I am still making and selling the windscreen arms so if the guy in France would like to contact me we can do the deal.

cCheers noboot (Ron)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let this be a reminder for any newbies who may not be aware... if you have the electric windshield raise/lower feature, NEVER ride with the shield all the way to the bottom.
    Why? Because the constant road-shock bangs on that crank-arm piece, and can eventually break it!

Solution: After lowering the shield to its bottom point, raise it back UP just a tad, just enough to break contact with its bottom-rest point. This completely prevents the vibration/shock, and eliminates the hazard of breakage.

Cheers!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

I am still making and selling the windscreen arms so if the guy in France would like to contact me we can do the deal.

cCheers noboot (Ron)

Do be aware that as Mikey suggested, the first 11 posts in this thread, including the one from "the guy in France" (who started this thread ) were put up waaaay back in July 2018, which is now almost 3 years ago!!

The current discussion began with Sybertra's post asking for help/info at post #12, and Ron (Noboot) has provided the requested info.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

cCheers noboot (Ron)
    Quick response too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Do be aware that as Mikey suggested, the first 11 posts in this thread, including the one from "the guy in France" (who started this thread ) were put up waaaay back in July 2018, which is now almost 3 years ago!!

The current discussion began with Sybertra's post asking for help/info at post #12, and Ron (Noboot) has provided the requested info.
    You're right. How did I miss that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently got the following from Ron that I thought I'd share;

Hi there,

We have a web page but it's not a storefront or anything it's more for display www.ozspyderryders.com.au

It you want to purchase one just message me here or my email address rpi76142@bigpond.net.au

Cheers, Ron (noboot)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RTS windshield arm

Hello,

Looking for a windshield arm part. Mine broke yesterday on the highway.
    BRP only offers entire kit.

Thanks,
    From Toronto