Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Doc, So sorry for this continuing tough saga of Kathy's fight for survival following that tragic accident. Regardless of one's faith, this whole story really cries for all of us to understand before things go South in our lives to do a few things that allow for our wishes to be complied with.

For those of us who do not know what a Living Will is and I am not an attorney, it is a document that essentially articulates our wishes for care in the event that we become unable or incapacitated to make medical decisions for ourselves. This document does not have to be filled out by and attorney and there are generally no costs associated with it. In addition to the Living Will, a Medical Power of Attorney allows a selected person to make medical decisions for us in the event of incapacitation or other seriously compromising conditions.

Both my wife and I have these documents on file with our Family Doctor and also have them shared with several other sources in the event that both my wife and I were faced with some of the tough challenges you and Kathy have been faced with.

Life is precious but at times unpredictable and people of faith and those that do not believe in a higher power can find comfort in having our wishes carried out in the event of medical crises.

My wife and I hope that the card we sent has comforted you and Kathy as well as some of your other family members. I think all of us sense how much you care about Kathy and how much she has cared for you and that we are all hoping that everyone finds some peace and comfort in whatever way best works for you all.
    Yes, we should have had living wills. We just never got around to it. Under a new Indiana law that came into effect on July 1, 2018, the hierarchy of who can say what happens is very clear cut. It blows my mind that this law started 6 days before her accident. Here is what it states. Very clear cut.

The second change is arguably more significant and relates to medical consent by family members or friends when a patient is incapable of providing medical consent on his or her own behalf (e.g., if the patient is unconscious, sedated, or assessed as mentally incompetent). For several decades, Indiana statutes have specified a list of individuals that could provide medical consent under such circumstances (including a spouse, a parent, an adult child, an adult grandchild, an adult sibling, or a grandparent). However, Indiana law was previously silent on the hierarchy of such individuals in the medical consent process. Such a process left health care providers in untenable situations in which family members disagreed as to medical intervention issues. Hospitals would often seek appointment of a court-appointed guardian for the incapacitated patient to sort out disagreements amongst family members. The appointment of a guardian often caused delay and confusion during an already difficult medical situation. However, effective July 1, 2018, health care providers can rely on a priority order of hierarchy, found under I.C. § 16-36-1-5, for issues concerning medical consent. Generally, the hierarchy specifies the following individuals for medical consent:

1. A judicially appointed guardian;
    2. A spouse;
    3. An adult child;
    4. A parent;
    5. An adult sibling;
    6. A grandparent;
    7. An adult grandchild;
    8. The nearest other adult relative in the next degree of kinship;
    9. A friend; or
    10. The individual's religious superior.

The updated law also creates certain exceptions to the hierarchy for spouses who are legally separated, and prohibits individuals from providing consent if they are subject to a protective order or the subject of a pending criminal charge in which the incapacitated patient is the alleged victim.
    The changes to Indiana’s medical consent laws and end-of-life POST directives are beneficial to both patients and health care providers. By allowing PAs and NPs to assist patients with POST directives, patients faced with a terminal disease or other serious illness will have easier access to POST directives. The new hierarchy for medical consent provides patients and providers clear guidelines for medical consent issues. If patients have concerns about the hierarchy established under the updated law, such individuals are free to create an advanced healthcare directive (a.k.a. “living will”) with an alternative hierarchy that would supersede the generic hierarchy established under the new law. Indiana’s updated law does not prohibit or overrule advanced healthcare directives – in fact, it encourages such arrangements. As Indiana’s updated law is implemented in the coming months, health care providers and patients will benefit from the clarity provided by the updated law.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're praying for all of you, and hoping that it doesn't come down to the "pecking order" that you have just described...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've not spoken up before, but I've been following your story since the accident. I'm so glad that you and Kathy had discussed this and that your choice is so clear cut. My husband and I have also had these talks (and followed up with the legal documents to back it up). We both count on the fact that the other loves us enough that our wishes will be followed. What you are doing for Kathy shows that love clearly.

You are in my thoughts.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Praying for guidance and peace. If you haven't already, pray and read the Bible and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you through God's Word.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Praying for guidance and peace. If you haven't already, pray and read the Bible and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you through God's Word.
    Exactly what I am now doing, Mark. I have removed everything from my heart except what is best for Kathy. Anything other than that is selfish.

Spyder Garage

Default Our prayers are with you

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    Mrs Kathy Humphreys from Roaster Renovations was in an accident today. I humbly ask for your prayers in agreement of Gods word that she comes out of this just fine. She is a true woman of God and a personal friend of mine and so is Doc and they could use some prayer right now.
    Thank you in advance.
    Everything will be fine. Our prayers are with you.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

May the love, peace, strength, and quieting spirit of the Lord surround you fully in this time of need.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Update on Kathy

Praise Report for Kathy 9/24 - Kathy entered her 11th week in the hospital yesterday. Hard to believe it has been over 70 days. I spent several hours with her. I didn't know it at the time when the Lord spoke to me on Friday at the meeting to tell them that I would give them an answer in 3 days why to do that, but I immediately thought that He was going to do something over that 3 days or I had something to do. I researched the new law concerning terminal patients and wrote up a very detailed plan to carry out Kathy's wishes this next week. I even included a page of the spin the media would put on this if I had to go to them. It went something like this, "Marine Corps Veteran unable to fulfill wife's last wishes due to hospital not following clear cut State law guidelines. I stuck both documents in an envelope, and addressed it to the Hospital Administrator. Sticking it in my pocket I went to her room and gave it to the charge nurse and then went on in to see Kathy. She was very alert today. Much more than usual. I began to slowly explain the nature of the damage to her brain from what the Neurologist told us and her prognosis for recovery. She listened intently and when I was finished I ask her if she wanted to live with those challenges. She shook her head no. We then got 2 other nurses into the room at separate times and had them ask her the same questions and she shook her head no to them also. Prior to Friday's meeting, I had no idea of the degree of brain damage Kathy has sustained. Nor the fact that it would be permanent. When the neurologist stated that it was very doubtful that she would ever gain anything but very limited use of her left side and the fact that her left brain is still misfiring, causing more damage, and her use of her right arm would be sporadic at best, it drove home her true condition for the first time. Even when the ICU chief stated that no one has a crystal ball and cannot predict a persons' recovery outcome, which is true to a certain extent, but we still have to go by the experts, and I have to say the Neurologist would have been the most informed in the room. So this weekend I have removed my emotion from the equation as much as possible. We don't want to lose our loved ones so much that we actually lose sight what is best for them. That is what Kathy's children are doing and to a certain extent that is what I have been doing. Unfortunately, this is very selfish for the person laying there, trapped in a body they cannot move, unable to communicate, trapped in their own mind, unable to break free.

I went back over many of our conversations; her talking about how it would be when she crossed over. Who would be there, what her dad would be probably doing. How as a Christian she longed for the far country. We talked about how it was talked in Exodus about having your cloak and staff ready at a moments' notice. And as Christians, we need to be ready at any moment to leave this world. The Bible says that we are but a breath of vapor. We talked about this world not really being our home. We talked about all the times that Kathy drug her kids to church over the years as she raised them in the Christian faith. And how they learned to trust in the Lord and were able to see firsthand just how strong a Christian woman their mom was. How she loved the Lord more than anything in this world. We talked about where we would meet each other if we were not able to go together at the same time. (first tree on the right) We spoke of fighting the good fight in this world as long as we could and spreading the Gospel of Jesus. (which I need to work on) We talked about her fear of being trapped here if something happened and their appeared to be no hope. Having one foot in Heaven and the other chained to Earth. Trapped between worlds and unable to ascend. She made me promise to never let that happen to her. That was her greatest fear by far.

When I remembered all these things I realized that I have been selfish. I wanted to keep her here for me. Because I will miss her so badly. She was such a large part of my life. I felt as though my heart was being ripped from my body. I was losing the absolute best part of myself. And I didn't want to be left behind, but I hear her in my mind saying, "We fight the good fight until we are called home." And it is not my time. But I do believe it is hers. I keep coming back to the promise we made each other. To not let the other suffer if they were unable to tell their wishes and would not be able to have any semblance of a normal life. I know that we all were hoping and praying for her to be able to return to us. But, as soon as she steps out of that damaged and broken body that she has been forced to be in for these 70 plus days, she will gain her glorified body, and complete healing. Kathy used to get a far away look in her eyes when she talked about actually meeting Jesus. How awesome that would be. I envy her. I wish it had been me. When I ask her to not worry, they will give her something to make things easier when she transitions, she shook her head telling me that she was not scared. Truly a woman of faith. I realize now that He wanted the 3 days so He could bring her awake enough to confirm her wishes. And, I had to make the commitment and write the letter to take her off of life support. Two interlocking parts that had to work together. Not sure of the timeline on everything. I will post it as soon as I know

Spyder Garage

Default Peace

Peace and love to you both at this time. Sometimes the most loving thing we can do is choose to suffer ourselves and allow another peace. My heart goes out to you. Prayers for all involved.

Spyder Garage

Still sending out the best of thoughts here. THE BEST of thoughts.

Spyder Garage

The Lord will guide you to do the right thing. Prayers to you both.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You and Kathy have all our prayers for this journey that she, and you, will be taking. Know that you both are thought about, cared about and prayed for on a daily basis.
    OJ and Jan Miles

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just read this, how terribly difficult this must be, no words to describe this circumstance. In prayer there is solace.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doc,

I have followed this story since July 7th and have seen the ups and downs you and Kathy have been through. I send you all of my thoughts and prayers that your hand is guided to do the right thing for you and most importantly for Kathy. I wish you both peace.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

You are a good husband and a good man Doc, and letting go is the hardest thing to do. Everyone comes to grip with this at a different rate so I hope the family gives you the love and support you deserve for such a difficult choice and finds their own path to peace as well.

God’s grace to you Kathy and the family.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that I can't say anything to make it better...

...Other than you're not alone in this time of great need.

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I pray that GOD gives you peace (a peace that surpasses ALL UNDERSTANDING) during this difficult time.

Spyder Garage

On board with you behind the scenes. Thoughts and continue for wisdom and peace in all that you do.

Romans 8:28 "And we know that ALL things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May you both have the strength for whatever path is ahead. Wish for the best possible outcome, seems you have both fought a lengthy and courageous battle. It seems your faith has guided you both through this.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doc,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for trusting us, your Spyderlovers family, enough to share these most personal thoughts and feelings with us. I wish there was something more tangible I could do, but know that we are all sending our love, prayers, and support to you.

Mac

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default for Kathy and Doc

I am so sorry for the both of you, that you each had to suffer in your own way. You have both been down a long an arduous road. No one but the two of you knows what this has felt like on either side of the ventilator. I am grateful that you both have your faith to see you through this prolonged struggle. May you both find peace at the end of your journeys. My wishes for a peaceful end to both of your struggles.

With love and the warmest of thoughts

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Prayers to you and your family, know that you did what she would have wanted you to do. We are all praying for you.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, you and Kathy are in my thoughts and prayers. You both walk a difficult road, together and and seperate.
    Continue to be guided by love and you won't go wrong.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I an so very sorry to hear this.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes, very sorry and saddened to read this.

That time, those past few days, the past 70 days, brutally difficult beyond compare, but presented to you for a reason.