Spyder Garage

Default Tension/Alignment screws

I want to lower the belt tension on my 2017 F3-S from 225lbs to around 180 lbs on the ground. Trouble is the right & left belt alignment/tension adjustment screws will only turn about 1/6 of a turn each. Don't want to force these screws for obvious reasons. Anyone had this problem & how did one fix it?

Spyder Garage

If the axle bolt is loosened up you should be able to turn them any way you want, butt if you are turning them in make sure the caps that the screws are in don't get loose also, then you have to put your wrench over the head of the axle and tap it fwd till they are tight agaist the swing arm. there is a good you tube on it.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If the axle bolt is loosened up you should be able to turn them any way you want, butt if you are turning them in make sure the caps that the screws are in don't get loose also, then you have to put your wrench over the head of the axle and tap it fwd till they are tight agaist the swing arm. there is a good you tube on it.
    Mikey, thanks for the reply. Yes the axle nut is very loose, but the screws refuse to turn any more than as stated.

Spyder Garage

Do not attempt to turn those screws with the rear wheel on the ground. You should never have loosened the axle nut with full belt tension on the axle either. The adjustment screws are under significant load. Raise the rear wheel off the ground to adjust tension.

Tension measurement should be done with the rear wheel off the ground and the swing arm hanging on the rear shock. That is a known point in the swing arm arc and where the tension in the service manuals is specified. It goes up from there depending on how much load is on the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Assuming you are turning them counter clock wise. I would remove the axle nut completely to see if your axle is up tight to the swing arm slot. If so you have no more adjustment, but if not you may need to raise the Spyder off the ground to take the pressure off the tire to allow you to move it forward.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Do not attempt to turn those screws with the rear wheel on the ground. You should never have loosened the axle nut with full belt tension on the axle either. The adjustment screws are under significant load. Raise the rear wheel off the ground to adjust tension.

Tension measurement should be done with the rear wheel off the ground and the swing arm hanging on the rear shock. That is a known point in the swing arm arc and where the tension in the service manuals is specified. It goes up from there depending on how much load is on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Assuming you are turning them counter clock wise. I would remove the axle nut completely to see if your axle is up tight to the swing arm slot. If so you have no more adjustment, but if not you may need to raise the Spyder off the ground to take the pressure off the tire to allow you to move it forward.
    Thanks jcthorne. I loosened the right hand side axle nut to finger tight prior to lifting the wheel off the ground before i attempted to adjust either screw. Not sure what you mean by '' you should never have loosened the axle nut with full belt tension on the axle either''. Could you please explain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Thanks PW2013STL. I marked both screws prior to adjusting to see how much i would have turned them when finished. Yes, tried turning both screws c/clockwise, but would only turn about a 1/6 of a turn. Tried turning them clockwise but they only turned back to where they were before turning c/clockwise. I'll check out your suggestion regarding the ''axle is up tight to the swing arm slot''.

Spyder Garage

Default Careful...

there have been some issues with those adjusters on the F3's breaking. If you cannot get them to adjust you might want to take it to the dealer and let them work with it. If they do break they can warranty them and save you the trouble and time. If the threads have been streched or damaged you may have to replace them anyway. Going back and forth with as much force as you feel safe with is the only way to maybe get them to turn freely....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there have been some issues with those adjusters on the F3's breaking. If you cannot get them to adjust you might want to take it to the dealer and let them work with it. If they do break they can warranty them and save you the trouble and time. If the threads have been streched or damaged you may have to replace them anyway. Going back and forth with as much force as you feel safe with is the only way to maybe get them to turn freely....
    Yes Chupaca, I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions, but ''going back & forth safely'' hopefully will free them. If not, then it's the dealer's problem. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default problem screws now ok

With the wheel off the ground i screwed the right hand nut off the axle. Had to remove muffler to get a good view of the sliding block which the adjusting screws move. Tapped the axle in a little & it felt free. Tried to turn the screws but they refused to move. Next with a piece of wood under the wheel, i levered the wheel up & down gently. At the same time i tried adjusting the screws & hey presto they moved & quite easily.
    Belt tension is now at 180lbs with wheel on the ground & belt alignment is good.[ slightly wider than a credit card at rear & 2 credit cards at the front sprocket ].

Thanks for the above posts & they were food for thought.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear!

Thanks for letting us know
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a light spray of wd may be in order! Good to hear you got it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl