Spyder Garage

Default Tamper Proof Hardware

First a little history; this is my second summer on my Spyder, a 2016 RT Special. She's been in to the dealer twice, once for an error code and the second time for her annual oil & filter change. Thus, I've never had a need to remove any panels. A couple of weeks ago one of the hex screws that hold the dash module in place came loose, darn near fell out before I noticed it. So I retightened it and check the remain three and all were loose by as much as a quarter turn to a half. Upon check of many of the other fasteners I learned something else about the Spyder to which is the purpose of my post.

I come to find out that the four screws, two on each side, that attach the side panels just in front of the seat have hex heads but they're Tamper Proof so my wrenches won't work. They require a hex head with a hollow end to engage the hardware. I hadn't seen this before and spent the morning bouncing around to all the hardware stores looking for a Tamper Proof bit. Only one store had them and they were out of stock, I ended up ordering a kit on-line so that pretty much ends my story.

But I have to wonder, why only those four screws be Tamper Proof? And in that location on those two panels? Any thoughts, guesses, or bold faced lies?

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

They are tamper proof because they don't want you to tamper with them.No this is not a smart ass answer. These are not really screws,they are posts that fit into rubber grommets that just pop out,so leave them alone.They may be loose but they won't fall out. The rubber grommets behind them are easy to push out of their holes so many of us have put tie wraps on them so they won't go anywhere when they do get pushed thru. I spray a little Windex on them so the pins will go in easier. Most everybody gets fooled by these posts at some time or another.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Those are tamper proof for a reason. They screw into a stud that pushes into a rubber grommet. They should not be removed. When removing that side panel just remove the other fasteners and pull the panel out of the rubber grommets.

pegasus1300 must have been typing the same time I was but beat me to the send button...... But, now you know and hopefully it is not too late to cancel your order for tools you don't need.

And, yup, I too scratched my head about those fasteners the 1st time I removed panels.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-06-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add info
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thank you, mystery solved. Whats say we move on to Big Foot, Amelia Earhart, and D.B. Cooper.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

I had one of the screws for the dash come out. Put it back and tightened all of them. Was with someone else and he found one of his had come out.

Spyder Garage

DB Cooper is dead. He was killed in the landing. Must have lived long enough to crawl off some where,cause when they founding the landing site there was only a torn bag a few bills and nothing else.But it's hard to kill off a good treasure story

Amelia Earhart is dead on some small atoll in the Pacific. Was probably injured in the crash and died waiting for someone to find her. But again it is hard to kill off a good story and boy do we love to speculate.

Bigfoot. Either "Finding Bigfoot" is going to find him and eat him or he is going to get fed up with them and eat them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

And just fyi the screws on the dash and most everywhere else on your spyder are not hex, they are Torx. Mostly T30 and T20.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    I come to find out that the four screws, two on each side, that attach the side panels just in front of the seat have hex heads but they're Tamper Proof so my wrenches won't work. They require a hex head with a hollow end to engage the hardware. I hadn't seen this before and spent the morning bouncing around to all the hardware stores looking for a Tamper Proof bit. Only one store had them and they were out of stock, I ended up ordering a kit on-line so that pretty much ends my story....?
    SpyderRyder1, there are also some YouTube Videos that our predecessors have posted showing panel removal that address those tamper proof posts
    Shawn Smoak's Beautiful Can-Am Spyder RT Body Removal
    Spyder Stuff's Can-am Spyder RT - How to Remove Panels
    Doc Humphrey's 2014 Can Am Spyder RT Side Panel Removal
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know were to buy the posts they are plastic and as they age they sometimes brake .I would like to order a few .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Does anyone know were to buy the posts they are plastic and as they age they sometimes brake .I would like to order a few .
    Www.cheapcycleparts.com
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

The RT has only 4 of these screws(2 each side) and I don't think you can buy those posts unless from BRP. And the reason the screws head are safety type is for you to not play with them. The other posts are glued to the various panels. If you break one, well, good luck on that. I use a little dab of vaseline when I have to remove and re-install the panels. make the job a lot easier.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"