Spyder Garage

Default Rear Wheel Installation Tip

I found that this helped on a 2011 RT. Do not loosen the axle adjusting screws and you won't have to worry about readjusting belt tension or alignment. After you thread the belt back on the pulley use a ratchet strap through the wheel and around the shock mount to pull the wheel forcefully forward. Then tighten the axle nut.

To push the rubber cush drive back into place use baby powder on the rubber.

There is no need to loosen the lower shock bolt and no need to remove the stock upper shock guard. The motorcycle shop was able to spin balance the wheel to perfect with one oz. of weight. Hope this helps someone.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure why you would loosen the upper shock guard. If you can get the belt off without taking out the lower shock bolt that’s great. Nice idea with the ratchet strap. I was using duct tape to keep adjusters tight in the swing arm. Does the air ride rod need to be disconnected?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I changed our back tire, I used a white paint stick to match mark the axle adjusters, then backed them off four full turns. When I was putting it back on, I tightened them four full turns til the match marks were perfectly aligned. My belt tracked perfectly, as well.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

There is no need to move the adjusters AT ALL when removing the rear wheel. Take the lower shock bolt out and the swing arm drops far enough that the belt goes slack, you just slide it off and then remove the axle shaft. When you put it back together, the adjustment is right back where it was.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Another good option Daz, but I much prefer JC’s method. I found removing the bottom shock bolt, easily slipping the belt off, removing the wheel, and then easily slipping the belt back on and rebolting the shock a very simple option, with no adjuster movement whatsoever required.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Right O, Tape adjuster end caps to swing arm, air ride rod removed first (for Spyders with one), then shock bottom bolt, then brake caliper,(watch the shims) then lift and belt slides off, axle slides out, Presto Chango
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Right O, Tape adjuster end caps to swing arm, air ride rod removed first (for Spyders with one), then shock bottom bolt, then brake caliper,(watch the shims) then lift and belt slides off, axle slides out, Presto Chango
    Yeah David, but don’t forget to remove the nuts from the axle before you try to slide it out.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Not sure why you would loosen the upper shock guard. If you can get the belt off without taking out the lower shock bolt that’s great. Nice idea with the ratchet strap. I was using duct tape to keep adjusters tight in the swing arm. Does the air ride rod need to be disconnected?
    No air ride on this model. You are correct about NOT taking the shock bolt out. Slowly turn the wheel by hand and work the belt off. It goes on just as easy.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I never had to remove the lower shock bolt. I do run my belt tension around 120 lbs. The strap was a great tip. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles