Thread: Pssst?

Spyder Garage

Question Pssst?

Started up the Spyder in the garage today for a small ride into town. As I was letting it idle for about 2-3 min. I could hear this Psst, psst. About every thirty seconds. Shut off the bike and restarted. Did it again 3-4 times. Thought , OK do I have a leak in a tire? Nope. Backed it out of the garage and the noise didn't return. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so do you know what it might be?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My initial thought was the compressor for the rear shock but I’m not sure if it kicks on and off if the Spyder is in neutral.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Probably not the compressor for the reason you suggested SpyderAnn, but it could've been air RELEASING from the air bag via the release valve! That usually only lets air out when the load lessens Johnny, but if the bike went into the garage & shut-down with a bit of a load on it, then the pressure reduced as things got cold while it was garaged, once you started it again & the bag started warming up the pressure could've been gradually increasing as it warmed & prompted the occasional release of air.

My RT does that under similar conditions, so often that I worried a little & so spent quite some time searching for the leak. Did that every early morning ryde until I worked out that the air bag, being fairly close to the exhaust (& cat if still fitted) heated up & expanded fairly quickly, especially on those bright mornings following cool nights!! So if I parked it in the late arvo after some 2-up ryding, left it to cool down overnight, then still in the cool of the next morning, rolled it out to start up only to leave it sitting idling while the engine warmed up, I'd get those intermittent releases of warming air from the expanding air bag - much like many people do in the morning! Anyhoo, I know what it is now, so I don't panic, but it can be a little entertaining for people not in the know if they are standing near while it 'psssts' at them every now & then!

Of course, YMMV, but for what it's worth, there's my 2 bob on it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Hadta fjx my spelljng - & move all those bleedjn 'j's' in there instead of 'i's'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Thank's to All.

Since I've read the replies I won't get too worried about the PSSSST.
    Should note: With the heat wave my garage is running in the mid 90's. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Johnny

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heat in your garage is exactly why it was "PSSSSTing..."
    That heat expands the air in the bag: increasing the pressure to beyond what the bike is comfortable with.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The heat in your garage is exactly why it was "PSSSSTing..."
    That heat expands the air in the bag: increasing the pressure to beyond what the bike is comfortable with.
    Very very likely this reason or similar.... I know when I get on my two friends Spyders they do exactly this as I'm a really big guy and they're about half the mass I am.... After a few seconds of idle time the air suspension starts venting to accommodate the increase in pressure from me saddling up.
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin