Spyder Garage

Default 2009 can am Spyder gs se5 sprocket replacement

Anyone ever replaced a sprocket on one? How hard is it to do? Where can I get aftermarket sprocket?

Spyder Garage

Default sprocket

Have seen them on E-Bay used from savage companies.
    beware of condition.
    dave

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Much depends on how handy you are. It is not that hard to do. I would not go used on that item as there are many out there in fair shape but you can get them on cheapcycleparts.com.

20150630_123305.jpg make sure you replace the bolt and washer as well. 20150630_104832.jpg mine came loose but the sproket is still usablend keep it as a spare. If you have the flywheel attached you might get new bolts for it as the sproket does not come with the flywheel. 20150630_104820.jpg I messed one up and easy to do. Mine is a 2012 but I see they don't all come with a flywheel.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Much depends on how handy you are. It is not that hard to do. I would not go used on that item as there are many out there in fair shape but you can get them on cheapcycleparts.com.

20150630_123305.jpg make sure you replace the bolt and washer as well. 20150630_104832.jpg mine came loose but the sproket is still usablend keep it as a spare. If you have the flywheel attached you might get new bolts for it as the sproket does not come with the flywheel. 20150630_104820.jpg I messed one up and easy to do. Mine is a 2012 but I see they don't all come with a flywheel.
    When I tried to take bolt loose it won't come off. Then I tried again and something made pop noise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    When I tried to take bolt loose it won't come off. Then I tried again and something made pop noise.
    Sometimes you have to have the brakes on to break the bolt loose. Any it will make a loud pop when breaking loose. Like others has stated buy new and replace bolt and washer.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely don’t use used. You might have do it again in few month. Plus later generation of sprocket has beefier teeth.
    I had mine replaced twice on my old 09 but both times sprocket was free spinning and I didn’t have an impact gun at the time so had let shop do it for like $150 labor. It was ridiculous how flimsy the first generation sprocket Was.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I've replaced mine and it's not that hard. If you do a search you can find some posts that will tell you how to remove the lower bolt for the rear shock. This is an easy way to get the belt off without changing the alignment or tension. Then the pulley comes off easily. Like the others have said make sure you use a new bolt and buy a new sprocket. Both are pretty inexpensive.