Thread: Belt Tension

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension

I recently purchased a new 2017 f3 Limited and will be installing Doc Humphries Belt tensioner this weekend. I have read several times that the belt tension should be set at 140 - 145. Is this applicable to all Spyders ? Did BRP come out with an update to use this setting ?

thanks johnv

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I usually suggest 160-180, but others like to go lower.

Spyder Garage

Default BELT TENSION

I have a 2016 RTS and checked the belt tension with the cricket while the rear wheel is on the ground. it showed around 210/220 pounds. do i need to back that down????
    (i will get my picture fixed one of these days)
    2016 RT Special Series

rear saddlebag LED lights
    Doc's belt tensioner
    underside LED lighting
    Baja Ron swaybar
    TricLED frt A-arm led's
    TricLed led front skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoof View Post
    I have a 2016 RTS and checked the belt tension with the cricket while the rear wheel is on the ground. it showed around 210/220 pounds. do i need to back that down????
    (i will get my picture fixed one of these days)
    Yes, that is pretty tight. Our Damper only adds about 7 lbs when installed. With the Damper on, on the ground reading should be no more than 160-180.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RSS and the manual says that the belt tension can be as high as 230 off the ground. Does this seem right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Yes, that is pretty tight. Our Damper only adds about 7 lbs when installed. With the Damper on, on the ground reading should be no more than 160-180.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    I have a 2013 RSS and the manual says that the belt tension can be as high as 230 off the ground. Does this seem right?
    For that style a belt that is too tight IMHO, especially in the air. I wouldn't go more than 140-160 on the ground. There is probably a revised stat on that. Maybe someone has that info.

Spyder Garage

This is from the 2013 service manual. If I am reading this right it states that the drive belt has a nominal tension of 236 and note +/- 34. I think mine is set at 200 now. I have also heard that if you can twist the belt 90 degress then that is a good rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    For that style a belt that is too tight IMHO, especially in the air. I wouldn't go more than 140-160 on the ground. There is probably a revised stat on that. Maybe someone has that info.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spyder Garage

This is from the 2013 service manual. If I am reading this right it states that the drive belt has a nominal tension of 236 and note +/- 34. I think mine is set at 200 now. I have also heard that if you can twist the belt 90 degress then that is a good rule of thumb.
    The belt twist method isn't very accurate.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have been using my Krikit II to measure the tension. I am going to the dealer to get the tension checked so I will see what they think is OK and how it compares to the readings that I have been making. A belt that is too tight may cause problems like wreck the front engine sprocket bearing or rear wheel bearing (I have heard) so I want to ensure it is correct before I put on too many more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The belt twist method isn't very accurate.

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension

I have been using my Krikit II to measure the tension. I am going to the dealer to get the tension checked so I will see what they think is OK and how it compares to the readings that I have been making. A belt that is too tight may cause problems like wreck the front engine sprocket bearing or rear wheel bearing (I have heard) so I want to ensure it is correct before I put on too many more miles.
    Might want to ask them to set it at the very lowest end.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

To test my belt tension the dealer jacked up the bike so the rear wheel was off the ground. He then used a tool (sonic belt tension meter) and recorded 1060N (238 lbs) and 1080N (242 lbs). He said it was good because the specification is 1050N +/- 150N (236 lbs +/- 34 lbs). Whatever I was doing (i.e. using the Krikit) was perfect and don't change anything...got out of there without any charges. This little test also calibrated my Krikit so that made me happy. Seems tighter than the recommendations on here but I am going to leave it alone.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a Technical Service Tip that BRP issued in 2015. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1050479 The numbers should still be good for later RT and F3 models. Essentially, you can set the belt tension anywhere from about 530 newtons (~120 lbf) to 1200 newtons (~270 lbf) with the wheel off the ground. The recommendation of the TST is set it so that the rider doesn't experience belt vibration at his/her most common riding speed.

Here is a comment I made about this issue back in 2015. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1095658

The general recommendation by owners is that lower is better. Reduces wear and tear on sprockets, bearings, and belts.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 07-06-2018 at 01:21 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension

Well I bought a Krikit 2, then I watched a couple of videos in order to make sure I used the Krikit 2 correctly, so after taking a couple of readings, I'm sure that the belt tension on our 2015 F3 is way too tight, tested with rear wheel on the ground, the Krikit 2 read 300 lbs on every reading I took, so I quite sure the rear wheel bearings are shot as well. So we have an appointment with the dealer on Friday, we're going have the front spocket checked and replaced if needed, and going to have rear wheel bearings replaced. Dealer said it should be covered under warranty so we will see. I will report with the findings later.....
    2015 F3 , OEM None Black

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension conversion

Thanks for all of the replies, I took my 2017 F3L to the dealer and requested that he set the tension to 170lbf on the ground. He then told me he set it to 750n. If my conversion is correct 750n should be equal to 168.8lbf, can anyone verify if this is correct conversion ??
    I do not have a Krikit and the dealer was using what he stated was the factory approved equipment to measure it.

thanks johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Conversion correct

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies, I took my 2017 F3L to the dealer and requested that he set the tension to 170lbf on the ground. He then told me he set it to 750n. If my conversion is correct 750n should be equal to 168.8lbf, can anyone verify if this is correct conversion ??
    I do not have a Krikit and the dealer was using what he stated was the factory approved equipment to measure it.

thanks johnv
    https://www.google.com/search?q=conv...i57j6.6017j0j1

1 N = 0.224809 lbf
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    I recently purchased a new 2017 f3 Limited and will be installing Doc Humphries Belt tensioner this weekend. I have read several times that the belt tension should be set at 140 - 145. Is this applicable to all Spyders ? Did BRP come out with an update to use this setting ?

thanks johnv
    John...

I purchased from Best Shop Manuals a "2017 Spyder F3 Series Repair & Maintenance Collection-HDS-V2.pdf" manual the other day. It states 775N +/- 150N, measured off the ground.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black