Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas what this Brake warning message means? GS Spyder

I have a 2008 GS SM5 with 33,500 miles, that had been basically error free, until now. A “Brake Failure” message has started to scroll across the display. There was nothing unusual that happened or done prior this. Brakes work fine, brake fluid levels good, and brake pads show about 60% to 70%. Tried the key off and out, overnight, and no change. Tried to key off, then on, then stepping down hard on the brake pedal, with no change. The closes “dealer” is about 5-6 hours away, one way! Trying avoid that trip. May have to. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

This MAY be an easy fix for you. The message will happen if you are low on fluid. Check the brake fluid fillers under the seat. The two caps on the right. As little as a teaspoon down can cause the warning.

Mine had a habit of doing it at Hatcher Pass in the beginning. An eleven mile, steep downgrade.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-02-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 08 and very sensitive to the brake fluid level. Just make sure the white piece is all the way to the top when you add fluid. Also with the key on push hard on the brake pedal and turn key off and wait 30 seconds before letting off the brake pedal. There are 2 micro switches that needs to be activated in order to do this procedure.
    David

Spyder Garage

Stop guessing what is wrong and get the code.

* With ignition switch on and engine running. Press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display and do not release.
    * Hold the MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    * If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    * If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    * If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

Write down all the codes and post them here and someone will lead you in the right direction.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I tried this on my 2013 RSS and it did not work...sure would be handy if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Stop guessing what is wrong and get the code.

* With ignition switch on and engine running. Press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display and do not release.
    * Hold the MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    * If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    * If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    * If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

Write down all the codes and post them here and someone will lead you in the right direction.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    I tried this on my 2013 RSS and it did not work...sure would be handy if it did.
    It's far simpler for your Spyder. Press mode, set and turn signal cancel all at the same time and release.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

When I do that the screen goes blank. I presume because I do not have any error codes. Any way to display total hours? Thanks for this....

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's far simpler for your Spyder. Press mode, set and turn signal cancel all at the same time and release.

Spyder Garage

I suspect if the fluid is full, he is going to come back with a low pressure code. Which means the fluid has not been flushed regularly and is contaminated....unless there is a leak.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I suspect if the fluid is full, he is going to come back with a low pressure code. Which means the fluid has not been flushed regularly and is contaminated....unless there is a leak.
    I suspect you are right.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Active codes

Quote Originally Posted by dickgi View Post
    When I do that the screen goes blank. I presume because I do not have any error codes. Any way to display total hours? Thanks for this....
    Only active codes can be retreived that way. If the fault has changed to occured. It can only be retrieved by someone with BUDS.

2018 F3 LIMITED