Thread: Tire warranty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire warranty

Will tire manufacturers or vendors honor car tire’s warranty for tires installed on Spyder? I was wondering because I found tire below but although Kumho sells that line of tires in US, they don’t offer that size so I’m assuming Kumho is not going to honor the warranty but I don’t know how often you would need warranty service(I’ve never had tires that were defective). It’s cheap enough and at least for sizes that Kumho does sell in US, it seems to be a good(according to reviews) directional tires and if car tires on Spyder are not covered under anyway, maybe???

The search is for front directional tires that matches Kumho in the rear as closely as possible. I don’t even know having different tires or directional tire in the rear and non-directional in front could have negative effect but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kumho-Ecsta...EAAOSwwAFa7Nfe
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I am guessing any warranty will become null and void--because tires are not being used as intended by the manufacturer.

Will have to watch this thread to see what others are going to say.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great question, never thought of that before. I guess the tire mfg could conceivably refuse to honor the warranty (their warranty, their rules), but IMO that's kind of a dick move on their part. You could argue it's on a type J rim but still.

Related question however, would BRP give you any warranty hassle for suspension/driveline related issues if you run car tires? Sure, you could avoid that if you run their tires until your BEST or extended warranty expires.

Hmmmm....
    Last edited by asp125; 07-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Warranty or no warranty, it’s sad that choice for rear seems to be just Kumho.
    Unless, you start going into 205’s(line of tires available for front are only available upto 205). Only possible good thing with that is that You can have same tires on all three wheels, if 205 doesn’t have negative effects.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-03-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why would you tell them what you put it on?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why would you tell them what you put it on?
    I assume 3rd party tire shop would be involved(would a manufacturer ask you to ship the defective tire for exchange? I don’t know, never had a case) and I would think manufacturers would ask obvious questions to 3rd party vendors like if there was anything unusual about the vehicle that tire was on or nail/physical damage on the tire???

I guess you can pull the wheel and take just the wheel in for warranty service but that would look pretty suspicious.
    I’ve heard of tires developing a bulge and get replaced under warranty but typically, wouldn’t people drive in then drive out with ne tire?
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve only had one time that I had a bad tire, due to a separated belt, many years ago. Took the tire in on the rim to have it replaced. I don’t see why it would be any different for a Spyder, at least for the front tires. The rear tire would be a dead giveaway for use.

I still don’t see why it would matter, but it could give them an opportunity to deny a claim. However, with the VAST majority of tires I don’t think you would have to worry about a defect very often with name brand tires, though bad ones do get out on rare occasions.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Warranty or no warranty, it’s sad that choice for rear seems to be just Kumho.
    Unless, you start going into 205’s. Only possible good thing with that is that You can have same tires on all three wheels, if 205 doesn’t have negative effects.
    I use stock size Federal Formozas on the front and a 215/60r15 General Altimax RT43 on the rear no negative effects.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I guess you can pull the wheel and take just the wheel in for warranty service but that would look pretty suspicious.
    Exactly! Show up with a tire, and just don't tell them a dang thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black