Spyder Garage

Default Which senna is the go

Hi guys.
    ive just bought a avg sport modular helmet.the lift up front one.i need comms.i currently use a interphone but have issues hearing my passenger above 100kph now with my kabuto adroblade 3 hekmet.the sound is weak and we just stop talking due to the quality. I use the boom mike atm.
    I don't want a boom on the modular so when i lift up it's left there in front of me.
    i see the uclear use mics in the speakers and some of the guys here in aus swear by them.so theres no boom.
    the senna i looked at seem to all use a boom mike.
    Is there a slim body comms unit thats works great also.
    There are so many models on the websites i dont know whats actually works versus the hype.
    thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

We have Sena S10 and S20 communicators and like them both. We keep a pair of bikes (with S10 equipped helmets)at our summer home and a pair (with S20 equipped helmets) at our primary residence.

We've had the S10s for several years and find they're entirely acceptable for the type of riding we do in Maine. They're fitted to full face helmets with the wired microphone (rather than boom type) and we find that sound quality and volume are good.

While on a road trip to Arizona this past spring our Scala Rider communicators finally failed after being dodgy for a while. We replaced them with Scala S20s and believe they are a significant improvement. They offer voice commands, better speakers, what appears to be improved range, and the ability to connect to about a gazillion other riders.

The S20s are fitted to modular helmets so we're using the boom microphones because we feel it is the best alternative. The S20s come with several microphone choices but wired microphone cable does not appear to be long enough to attach the stick-on mic to the chin bar and be able to raise it to full height without risking pulling things apart.

For what it's worth, our two cents.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kind of a side note regarding the poor volume with your present equipment.......which I learned kind of by accident:

The placement of the speakers inside the helmet is REALLY important. If they are not exactly in front of your ears, the effective volume can be cut in half......or worse.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I own 2 different sets of Sena head sets. The 20s and the integrated Sena helmets. I like them both, so I am not bashing Sena when I say the max volume from them leaves something to be desired. I also have a set of Cardo Scala G9s that I use. The Scala audio level and quality is far greater that the either Sena pair. If I am going to be ruising at highway speeds I prefer the Scala. If the wife and I are out on daytrips, we use the Sena, or our half helmets with out the intercom.

The Sena features and ease of use are better than the Scala G9s, but not the volume levels.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Kind of a side note regarding the poor volume with your present equipment.......which I learned kind of by accident:

The placement of the speakers inside the helmet is REALLY important. If they are not exactly in front of your ears, the effective volume can be cut in half......or worse.

My wife and I have the Sena 20S, and it took me three tries on my helmet before I got it correct -- thankfully nailed it on the first try on hers!
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The Sena s10's I just got and set up had a stick on boom and a little button mic that you could be put in the flip up part of your mod helmet, if there was a issue with the length of the wire I would think that a little wire, shrink tube and a soldering gun could make it work. They seem to work for us, but we use a 3/4 helmet, with the booms. We are going threw the pains of learning how to run the things! P.S the instructional video also said that the button mic could be put on the side of the face where the helmet would open also. If you go on you tube or there web site they will show you.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We use the Sena 20S Evo sets and they are simply fantastic. with the HD sound enabled, intercomm is crystal clear. so easy to operate. They are always paired together, so when we turn them on, we are ready to go. Battery time is tremendous compared to units of 5 or 7 years ago....we can easily use these for 8 hours and no battery issues.

Now, i will say my wife has the Schuberth C3 Pro modular helmet and she uses the boom mike, so not sure I can help you with your situation there. Is there a particular reason you don't like the boom mike? works great for her. Stays in place when you want it to, or moves out of the way if needed.

I have never had to turn the volume up all the way, so I'm not sure how loud these get, but we easily hear each other even at 70+ MPH. And no wind noise. They are pretty incredible.

We don't use phone or music while riding so I can't comment on any of those features...

Jeff
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

I use/and have the Sena 10S Bluetooth and I have use the boom mic.

I have the Sena 10S Bluetooth & boom for 2 years, and I have a full face helmet ( Zox with sun visor) I also hear my significant(vtrider) other fine. Sometimes I cut out, because I did not start the conversation @ the beginning of the ride. When we riding on the spyders the battery last a long time.

He( significant other, vtrider) has an older Sena model and we both use the communication systems in the winter.( when we are on the sleds). In the winter the battery on the communication system does not last long ( due the cold weather).

We don't use the music with the system, so I can not comment on that part.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone for the help great.the speaker placement seems to be a issue i might have with my current helmet,ill have a look and see if i can get it better.if thats the sound quality issue then i can just buy one of the interphone comms unit and add it to my new modular.save a bit on a new set and refit to both helmets too.
    the boom on the flip front i guessed would be a pain when you flip it up and push the boom away then drop the front down and get the boom jammed up in the front again or have to keep adjusting it every time.
    the guys ive seen with flip fronts seem to keep pushing the boom away.maybe thats the wrong way to use it.
    the senna 20s get a good report and thats the newer model im guessing.
    cheers

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Calvary helmet with Sena

Has anyone tried the new Calvary Half Helmet from Sena? Their communication system is built into the Helmet. Interesting!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    the guys ive seen with flip fronts seem to keep pushing the boom away.maybe thats the wrong way to use it.
    Not a problem with mine. I have it bent down under the chin piece then up between chin piece and my mouth.
    It usually stays in place when the front is flipped open; usually.
    It sometimes gets pushed down a bit upon closing so I just have to remember to check it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi
    Dave here,
    I have sold several Calvary helmets mostly to folks in Florida, Arizona, Texas and California
    All hot places so this helmet is the one they like, I am sure someone from one of those states
    will chime in on the new Calvary helmet from SENA.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Calvary Half Helmet from Sena? Their communication system is built into the Helmet. Interesting!

Spyder Garage

Default Do options matter to you?

We have had Sena20's and now have Cardo Freedom 4's. Both of these do one thing I really like! MULTITASKING! If I'm listening to music and the wife says "hello" (or anything) it will jump to intercom and reduce the music. To answer phone just say anything loud. All hands free. Both these models do this great. The HD sound of the Cardo is way better IMHO, but I had to carve out some foam to get the speakers right in front of my ears. The Cardo is cheaper and has great sound, and a nice phone app.