Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Always amazes me on here how some people who do their own work tend to criticize those who don’t want to , or don’t trust anyone to work on their bikes no matter what their training is ? I started out as an apprentice mechanic ( had 3 years in ) but decided to go the construction route because it was twice the money . I do some of my own work on various things but I basically don’t enjoy using my leisure time to fix my vehicles , I found a good dealership and realize they run a business so don’t mind paying for skilled technicians to work on my Spyder . The OP only asked opinions if the bill seemed excessive so yes as stated previously maybe should have went over the cost with the service department before hand ... all in all I don’t think it’s a “ rip off “ situation
    As I stated I didn't think the OP got ripped off. I also do my own oil changes, even on the road. I didn't see anyone criticize anyone.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Mine has been there 3 weeks and they haven’t started it yet.
    Let's see if I understand this right.

You called for an appointment and they gave you a date that was 2-1/2 to 3 weeks out.
    And yet you elected to take it in and leave it then........instead of waiting for your appointed date.

If that is right, I think you bear most of the blame for being without your ride for so long.
    Or am I missing something ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    This is why some people choose to do their own service. Dealer service is expensive. I would NOT categorize it as robbery however.
    Absolutely !

Provided, of course, that they actually checked the things they said.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Let's see if I understand this right.

You called for an appointment and they gave you a date that was 2-1/2 to 3 weeks out.
    And yet you elected to take it in and leave it then........instead of waiting for your appointed date.

If that is right, I think you bear most of the blame for being without your ride for so long.
    Or am I missing something ??
    Yes, you are missing some thing. I was a ride in that didn’t call ahead for an Appointment. But some one traveling on the road asking for Service would have recived the same 2-1/2 week Booking. I HAD to leave mine there, because I was afraid to drive it because of a grinding noise that needs diagnosed. Any way, regardless, same story. Several Travelers ( Bikers) were there when I was there, asking for Service, but there was only One Tech working . The engine needs to be pulled from mine to remove the Sprocket bearing I was told, and they need to wait for parts to come in for their Lift . Its complicated. But the short story is, Spyder Owners who don’t do their own maintenance is at the mercy of their Dealers. I met a Spyder owner riding a 2017 RT Limited yesterday, who told me his Dealer in PA. Is a dedicated Can-Am Dealer with 4 Techs that onlt handles Can-Ams. Mine sells Can- Ams, mostly ATVs, Polaris, with lots of Sling Shots, Kawasakis, Honda, Victories, and will do Service on just anout any thing,....if and when there is an opening. Best time to ask for Service there is in the Winter.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    For all those BITCHING about the price of service, for their CanAm, good thing you don't have a Harley which is serviced every 5K miles at a low end cost of $350.00 per visit!
    That amounts to $700.00 for approximately the same amount of miles.
    Then when it comes to changing Tranny Oil, and Shock Oil . . .
    Descent tires at @ 130.00 each
    Sorry folks no sympathies from this x-Harley rider.

AJ
    It some times must be a revolving door. My Spyder is in the Hospital, for unknown time, so I bought a Harley, last Week, and have already ordered enough Oil to do my “ Three Hole “Oil and Filter change when the time comes around. Any Harley Rider that can’t change their own Oil most likely should not buy one. But changing Spyder Oil when you reach my age ( 76) with out a garage, Tools, or a Lift , could leave you out in the cold a lot longer than changing Oil in a Harley. Plus, there are Tons of Independent Service Bike Shops that will Service Harleys for reasonable Fees, but I have checked every one of them in my City area and no one will touch Spyders. We need a Couple of “ Docs” in each City.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    It some times must be a revolving door. My Spyder is in the Hospital, for unknown time, so I bought a Harley, last Week, and have already ordered enough Oil to do my “ Three Hole “Oil and Filter change when the time comes around. Any Harley Rider that can’t change their own Oil most likely should not buy one. But changing Spyder Oil when you reach my age ( 76) with out a garage, Tools, or a Lift , could leave you out in the cold a lot longer than changing Oil in a Harley. Plus, there are Tons of Independent Service Bike Shops that will Service Harleys for reasonable Fees, but I have checked every one of them in my City area and no one will touch Spyders. We need a Couple of “ Docs” in each City.

I do oil changes on both. F3 is actually quicker to do than most Harleys. Rt a bit longer but still well under an hour including the full multipoint inspection. Yes, you need the right tools for either one.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I do oil changes on both. F3 is actually quicker to do than most Harleys. Rt a bit longer but still well under an hour including the full multipoint inspection. Yes, you need the right tools for either one.
    I find about the same. I spend a little extra time cleaning everywhere I can when the plastic is removed on my RT. I have the magic mirrors and with the correct tools it does not take long to change the oil. The next service I do have to change the transmission filter which will be my first time.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I find about the same. I spend a little extra time cleaning everywhere I can when the plastic is removed on my RT. I have the magic mirrors and with the correct tools it does not take long to change the oil. The next service I do have to change the transmission filter which will be my first time.
    Same here
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer Friday afternoon to get my F3 serviced. He asked if Tuesday was ok? I'm 2 hours away. Made an appt. for 11am.. And I did not buy the Spyder from him. He's an excellent dealer with one of the top techs around. Wife is going with me so it will cost something more than the service. She's worth it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There is NO valve check adjustment on the three cylinders (2016 RT). When they were recommended (for the 998 twins)--they cost an extra $800 or so above the regular service price. The valve check intervals were also recommended at 14K intervals (not as a "full service" option).

Many dealers--now including mine--don't have a clue when it comes to service. Best to read the manual so you can tell them what you need.
    ALWAYS a BAD sign when you know more than the Dealer/Service Dept!! Just pulled the first oil and filter change myself; about $65.00 all up. Performed all the inspection BS (brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, etc myself---oddly enough they were OK). Likely not so easy to do when out on the road.

Damn! After seeing what other "Stealers" charge for labor; I guess I'll have to STFU about $80.00/hr at mine! At a hundred and a half per hour you should be getting "death dealing sex" to go with the oil change; if you know what I mean.

Oh--------------wait! Did I say that out loud?

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags