Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Sorry to keep quoting you.
    Diesel oils, since the CK designation a couple years back, are much more like gas engine oils now.
    Lower Z and P, so the DPF, (soot trap) lasts longer and regens are reduced.
    Older diesel oils ( there are still a few CJ oils) has much higher levels of anti-wear additives, and were actually very good for motorcycle engines if changed regularly. CK diesel oils will usually have more anti-wear additives in them than car oils, but generally fall between car and motorcycle oils as far as zinc, phosphorus, boron and titanium adds. They will have more anti-foam agents (silicon).
    If you still want a VERY stout diesel oil, go get some JohnDeere Plus 50 II.

CK Rotella (current version) still has CJ levels of additives, very stout oils. PQIA just reviewed the 3 majors diesel offerings. In order for MC use, Rotella, Delvac, and I'd pass on Delo. https://pqia.org/2020/05/05/a-look-a...40-heavy-duty/
    Rotella beats some motorcycle oils in add pack, and it's made from Shell's slack wax process. It just will do the job fine if changed on regular intervals.

Long ago, I'm talking the 70's, the Shell plant in WoodRiver, IL bottled Rotella and Suzuki oil on the same line, same product.
    500 quarts of Rotella, 500 quarts of Suzuki from the same batch and tap. Same date codes on the bottom, different boxes and bottles. Diesel oils have been going into motorcycle sumps for long time.
    Being a Diesel Mechanic for over 25 years, I used either Rotella 15-40 or Dello 15-40 in every vehicle I owned; up until we purchased a 2016 Hyundai Genesis G80 a couple of years ago.
    Since we (wifey and I) want to keep the extended warranty in tackt; I have told the Service Station Mech to use the fully synthetic Mobil 1 5-30w in the oil changes he does for me and my retired self's Genesis. **(not the 5-20w) "pee oil" that it came with. It's a 2 hr job to do it myself with all the under panels (tupperware) and other crap to get to the oil filter and drain plugs; soo I pay the guy $25 for his time to do the job with all the parts and oil I bring to him. I do believe I'll use the suggested Amsoil 10-40w that Baja Ron suggests when I change my 2014 RT LTD from now on. Thanks to all for their input on this subject.

Spyder Garage

Very useful info. Thanks