Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Spring for ISCI hand brake

I just put the ISCI kit on my RT.....well my dealer did......and am not completely happy with it.

I have a "short reach" lever on order from Dennis Kirk which should make it better but..............

The problem remains that it takes a RIDICULOUS amount of pressure to operate it......because of having to overcome TWO return springs.
    The one in the kit is way stiffer than it needs to be.....since there already is one in the original pedal mechanism.

ISCI says: We have no options for springs. That's just the way it IS. Sorry you don't like it.

I'm sorry too and will be fixing it......but I would like to have a spare original spring before I change anything.
    Does anybody know of a source for their part #14, 9065k203, extension spring.....except ISCI, that is ?
    Or better yet one that is the same length but not as stiff ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated......other than suggestions that I "just live with it" or that bleeding is what is needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I just put the ISCI kit on my RT.....well my dealer did......and am not completely happy with it.

I have a "short reach" lever on order from Dennis Kirk which should make it better but..............

The problem remains that it takes a RIDICULOUS amount of pressure to operate it......because of having to overcome TWO return springs.
    The one in the kit is way stiffer than it needs to be.....since there already is one in the original pedal mechanism.

ISCI says: We have no options for springs. That's just the way it IS. Sorry you don't like it.

I'm sorry too and will be fixing it......but I would like to have a spare original spring before I change anything.
    Does anybody know of a source for their part #14, 9065k203, extension spring.....except ISCI, that is ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated......other than suggestions that I "just live with it" or that bleeding is what is needed.
    What components is the kit based on. Hayes, AJP, Nissin, Brembo or ?

Myself I never looked close or paid attention to the handbrake design or setup, is this a cable system applying the brake pedal or a split hydraulic system style dual brake?

If it is cable, actuating the brake pedal, then yes, it likely takes a bit of effort.

Spyder Garage

Quick search, is this what you installed?

http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/

Spyder Garage

McMaster-Carr has been my go to site for materials.

mcmaster.com
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Default spring

Put this spring on and your problems are over. Its easy peezy..
    I made this vid when I put the larger brake pedal on but it works all the same and only cost about 2 bucks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Quick search, is this what you installed?

http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/
    Yes. It is hydraulic, based on a Harley cylinder set, but the rest is custom fabricated.

The spring in question is clearly visible in the picture that comes up at that link.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    Put this spring on and your problems are over. Its easy peezy..
    I appreciate the thought but it appears that you completely mis-understood my problem.

I have TOO MUCH tension already......and I need to remove some spring pressure, not add extra.

But it might be helpful to know where you GOT that spring for your project.

Edit: After watching the whole video, I think I heard Lowe's. What department ??
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 06-29-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yes. It is hydraulic, based on a Harley cylinder set, but the rest is custom fabricated.

The spring in question is clearly visible in the picture that comes up at that link.
    See it now and understand the concept, nothing more than a hydraulic setup to apply pressure to the brake pedal.

I realize it will not work correctly if you remove the spring, but have you tried to actuate the brake with the spring disconnected and see if the system simply has poor hydraulic advantage. If needed, lift the pedal with your toe while testing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I realize it will not work correctly if you remove the spring, but have you tried to actuate the brake with the spring disconnected and see if the system simply has poor hydraulic advantage.
    Not exactly but similar.

IF.....you press the brake pedal, it takes all of the tension from the "stock" linkage off of the new hand lever mechanism.......and the new system BY ITSELF is extremely stiff, because of the spring. The hydraulic part by itself should take almost no pressure to make it move.

Apparently the return spring for the stock mechanism is really weak because some owners have put on a larger pedal and the little extra weight has caused the mechanism to not return fully........and some extra spring tension was needed.

Spyder Garage

I am also interested to see what you come up with for this problem, Easy Rider. I'd like to have less tension, too. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Mark in GA
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default springs

I appreciate the thought but it appears that you completely mis-understood my problem.

I have TOO MUCH tension already......and I need to remove some spring pressure, not add extra.

But it might be helpful to know where you GOT that spring for your project.

Edit: After watching the whole video, I think I heard Lowe's. What department ??
    I got the spring at Lowes in the hardware department. I have the handbrake on mine also and you can get a smaller spring to put on the handbrake from lowes.

Spyder Garage

Not exactly but similar.

IF.....you press the brake pedal, it takes all of the tension from the "stock" linkage off of the new hand lever mechanism.......and the new system BY ITSELF is extremely stiff, because of the spring. The hydraulic part by itself should take almost no pressure to make it move.

Apparently the return spring for the stock mechanism is really weak because some owners have put on a larger pedal and the little extra weight has caused the mechanism to not return fully........and some extra spring tension was needed.
    Yes, I fully understand how it works having seen the photo.

Take off the spring and ensure you have enough hand strength with the system the easiest it can be.