Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Repeated repair problems

I am looking for some help from the community on this issue I am having. I purchased a used 2012 RTL, with only 10,000 miles on it, in the spring of 2016. I now have 36000 miles on it. I purchased a used Spyder due to concern if it would be a good fit me, a lifelong motorcycle rider, that a trike, and a Spyder, would be a good choice. I am happy to state that, until very recently, I have not regretted that decision at all. My problem is that, after having the rear brakes and rear tire replaced by my dealer, I got a brake failure error. I took it in to the dealer, at which time I found out that the one experienced mechanic remaining, the dealer has had a great deal of turnover recently, was leaving at the end of that week. Over the next two weeks I was told that they couldn't find the problem. Finally I was told that my Spyder was repaired. The new mechanic told me that the problem was in an area that the previous mechanic had told me that he had eliminated. I was very confused, but at least I was getting my Spyder back. After paying what I felt was a overly inflated bill I took my Spyder out for a brief ride only to have it break down, apparent computer failure, and leave me and my wife stranded on the side of the road only one and one half of an hour after picking the bike up. Now the dealer is telling me that a wire harness which runs across the rear wheel well was damaged by the tire. It seems unbelievable that Can Am would build a vehicle with such a major problem so I would like to know if this a common issue. If so what can be done to prevent this from occurring again? Or is this issue, which I believe is the most probable cause. is that the mechanic which did the work on the tire and brakes caused this? Thanks,
    Last edited by Spyderman12; 06-27-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to spyderlovers. I was born and raised in Mundelein lived there for 30 years! Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your dealer, there is a fender over the rear tire and no wiring harness woukd be exposed. They have screwed up and are trying to blame you. I think you should contact BRPCare. I believe that their contact info is on the right hand side of the home page.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't imagine why it would have needed new brakes after only 14k miles. This is a dealer issue that should be reported to BRP, I think.

Update: just noticed you updated the mileage. I can see why brakes might be needed at 36k....
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann and Pete, I appreciate the confirmation. While I just recently joined I have been reading the posts for over two years and know about your expertise. That is exactly how I feel, the new mechanic that can came to pick my Spyder up on the side of the road did not even know the proper way to load a Spyder onto a trailer without damaging it! While we all are new at doing tasks at times I don't believe that I should be forced to pay a lot of $ for their issues.
    Last edited by Spyderman12; 06-27-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Ann has given good advice. It does sound like a dealer issue. Unfortunately, we have those in a lot of places.

Here is a link to BRP Care

brp.care@brp.com

and hoping you get your issues solved soon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Ann has given good advice. It does sound like a dealer issue. Unfortunately, we have those in a lot of places.

Here is a link to BRP Care

brp.care@brp.com

and hoping you get your issues solved soon.
    Thanks for posting that email link, I think the link of the home page may be outdated.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which dealer did you go too? There are more than one in the area that could help you out too.

Spyder Garage

Default origional problem ?

had the brakes been worn out , for the dealer to replace the pads ? ( I am wondering if the brake fluid level is down quite a bit , as the service chimp , most likely did the brake job , lost some brake fluid and being in a rush did not top off the reservoirs ... ) and now the brake warning was popping up , the wiring in the wheel area I can`t think of any wires in the area of the wheel to begin with ? if I remember right the lines are I the plastic body panels , as in other cases , I think the service guy , took your spyder , apart wayyyy to much and I bet they left out screws and misaligned the plastic body pieces ... hope you can get this problem worked out in a timely fashion ...

Spyder Garage

If you want the problems to go away. First make this dealer go away!!! Then ask where you can find a competent one. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default What dealer services your Spyder ?

What dealer do you go to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman12 View Post
    I am looking for some help from the community on this issue I am having. I purchased a used 2012 RTL, with only 10,000 miles on it, in the spring of 2016. I now have 36000 miles on it. I purchased a used Spyder due to concern if it would be a good fit me, a lifelong motorcycle rider, that a trike, and a Spyder, would be a good choice. I am happy to state that, until very recently, I have not regretted that decision at all. My problem is that, after having the rear brakes and rear tire replaced by my dealer, I got a brake failure error. I took it in to the dealer, at which time I found out that the one experienced mechanic remaining, the dealer has had a great deal of turnover recently, was leaving at the end of that week. Over the next two weeks I was told that they couldn't find the problem. Finally I was told that my Spyder was repaired. The new mechanic told me that the problem was in an area that the previous mechanic had told me that he had eliminated. I was very confused, but at least I was getting my Spyder back. After paying what I felt was a overly inflated bill I took my Spyder out for a brief ride only to have it break down, apparent computer failure, and leave me and my wife stranded on the side of the road only one and one half of an hour after picking the bike up. Now the dealer is telling me that a wire harness which runs across the rear wheel well was damaged by the tire. It seems unbelievable that Can Am would build a vehicle with such a major problem so I would like to know if this a common issue. If so what can be done to prevent this from occurring again? Or is this issue, which I believe is the most probable cause. is that the mechanic which did the work on the tire and brakes caused this? Thanks,

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer name

I don't want to name the dealer unless the community thinks that it would be good for them. This is not about a rant whereby someone feels that they were wronged and want to bash the party that they feel wronged them. This has already cost me a great deal of money and I have a very nasty suspicion that I am going to be charged a lot more in the very near future, and even after that the bike won't be fixed properly. I was planning on taking the Spyder out to the Yellowstone area in a little over one week from now and I am apprehensive about taking the Spyder out into the wilds of South Dakota and Wyoming, with dealers hundreds of miles away, with the very real possibility that it hasn't been serviced properly.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It sounds to me......

Having been a mechanic all my life, and understanding how most machines work, it sounds like you had no
    trouble until you took it into the dealer who had untrained people attempting to work on your machine.
    Find another dealer and check this one off as a lesson learned.
    Not sure about your problem but I would start with the brake sensor at the back wheel, also check brake fluid.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-28-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Dave: That is exactly the case. I brought it in early March to have the rear tire and rear brakes replaced. Before that, in two years of riding no problems, just routine maintenance. Since the work in March the I have only ridden three times, day rides in the area, and had failures the last two. Also I did check the brake fluid, that was not the problem. Also I have a very tough time accepting that there is/was a wire harness across the rear wheel well that is exposed and subject to damage from the rear tire hitting it. While I am not a mechanic, I am an electrical engineer, I do have some basic mechanical skills and that is why this whole situation makes no sense to me. Until this I was satisfied with the dealer but now, although I left several messages, I have been informed that he is too busy to return my call. I agree, after this I have to find another dealer.
    Last edited by Spyderman12; 06-28-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried Neilsons?

Spyder Garage

As an electrical savy person, visually inspect the rear wheel abs sensor for damage. This was already mentioned, but in my opinion is a likely source for the wire damage remarks from the service center.

The other comments about brake fluid level, as we often read, what looks good is not good, add fluid regardless until known that the fluid level float switches are not generating the fault.

It seems quality oriented Spyder techs are not the norm. The shops local to me, the good techs want nothing to do with Spyders and rather work on brands they have dealt with for years. This results in our Spyder traveling 150 miles, and avoding several shops, to get where the Spyder techs are involved with Spyders. Agree, find another dealer it sounds like.
    Last edited by PMK; 06-28-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

"It seems quality oriented Spyder techs are not the norm. The shops local to me, the good techs want nothing to do with Spyders and rather work on brands they have dealt with for years. This results in our Spyder traveling 150 miles, and avoiding several shops, to get where the Spyder techs are involved with Spyders. Agree, find another dealer it sounds like."

That is certainly the case here in my neck of the woods. The closet dealer to me is 47 miles away, and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. The dealer (owner) that I bought mine from was the only certified BRP Master Technician in CT. Unfortunately, they closed up shop last year, much to the dismay of all the Spyder owners in this area. There was another dealer 20 miles away, but they were - and I'm being kind here - incompetent, to the point that they no longer sell or service Spyders. So now I travel 90 miles to Arctic Adventures in Rosendale NY, and the owner, Tom, makes damn sure that his customers leave his dealership feeling way better than they did when they got there.

I guess that the point I am trying to make is it is getter harder to find a dealer with a Spyder Certified technician. Yes, it costs the dealer money to send a tech for training, and the training is ongoing, so the cost is ongoing. This on top of what the tech is actually paid. I believe that is part of the reason we are seeing more and more dealers that don't have certified techs. These are complicated machines, and the wrencher that can diagnose and fix anything on a Honda with his eyes closed doesn't have a clue about Spyders. I'm seeing more and more of this at multi-brand dealers. Spyders are more of a sideline for them so they can sell other BRP products.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

That is certainly the case with this dealer. I know that they have had a great deal of turnover recently, the primary mechanic only started in May. He seems to be a nice guy that tries to do the job but that is no replacement for proper training on the products that he is supposed to be servicing.

Spyder Garage

I don't want to name the dealer unless the community thinks that it would be good for them. This is not about a rant whereby someone feels that they were wronged and want to bash the party that they feel wronged them. This has already cost me a great deal of money and I have a very nasty suspicion that I am going to be charged a lot more in the very near future, and even after that the bike won't be fixed properly. I was planning on taking the Spyder out to the Yellowstone area in a little over one week from now and I am apprehensive about taking the Spyder out into the wilds of South Dakota and Wyoming, with dealers hundreds of miles away, with the very real possibility that it hasn't been serviced properly.
    Name the dealer. Or wait till someone else on the board gets screwed. We need to know what dealers to stay away from don't we? Also, contact Mike T from Indiana. He goes to good dealer. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Name the dealer. Or wait till someone else on the board gets screwed. We need to know what dealers to stay away from don't we? Also, contact Mike T from Indiana. He goes to good dealer. Tom
    You can name the dealer where you are having the problem, without 'bashing' them. We know the difference.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Happy Ending (mostly)

I just recently returned from my trip out west and while the dealer completed the repairs just in the nick of time for me to take the trip, the repairs did hold up and the trip was fantastic. The dealer, Jim Potts of Woodstock, IL., did make good for the mistakes that his techs made and did not charge to put everything right. One thing remains, the replacement parts for the front spoiler had not arrived before my trip but I was assured that the repair, made necessary by the damage the tech inflicted to the front end of my Spyder by not loading it on the trailer properly and ramming the front end into the ramp, would be completed at no cost to me. The new tech, CJ, seems to be a nice guy and also seems like he wants to do a good job. He also informed me that he would be going through BRP training starting in July so I would have to assume that has happened. I do feel that there is a good chance that CJ could become a good tech, once he received the proper training as has otten some good experience.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Thanks for following up with us. Glad it worked out and you may have a good future tech in your area...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default how much ?

just re-reading this , how much does it cost to get trained by B-R-P to get mechanic certified ? would it be something every one here on the forums could send a couple of guys to the classes , and in the end result , if say a cycle in Florida is broken , fly the " spyder lovers mechanic to them , provided the tools are on site ! the n fly off too the next problem ---- hahahhaha it is just a thought ( but really how much is the classes ? )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm whatever happened to mad dog or whatever the tech name he was calling himself over there. Neilson has good service too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My tech at Coyote Powersports, Boerne, TX attended the BRP school right after they got the dealership. I knew him earlier and he was a top mechanic. He said he was there two weeks for training and it was intense and very good. I am lucky to have him, but have had few, if any problems (knock knock) with my three Spyders. I would say "if you ain't been to the BRP class, ya ain't working on my Spyder". I have no idea of the cost but two weeks of motel and food plus air fare could add up to a dealer not sending a person to the class. BRP should make it a requirement to get a dealership. I don't think they do. JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Glad your Final outcome was good, and that you had enough faith in the spyder and the mechanic to go ahead with your trip.
    Your problem seems especially irritating since you went in initially for very basic service, brakes and tires neither of which should’ve been complicated or expensive.

I think every spider owner should purchase a copy of the shop manual for their vehicle. There is a link here on the form somewhere, and they are available on eBay and Amazon. I think I paid about $25. You get an owners manual, the full service manual, parts list, dealer flat rate manual, electrical diagrams, etc. All digitally searchable. Even if you don’t print out you can download a copy and keep it on your smart phone for reference.

Did you ever find out what the first mechanic did wrong, during the break and tire service, to create your problem?