Spyder Garage

Default Lost electric power

2008 GS. Owned for a little over a year. 19100 miles. Rode yesterday for 45 minutes of freeway driving. Rode this morning for 35 mins freeway driving. On my way back later this morning (20 minutes of riding) stopped and shut off motor. When I went to start it back up (5 minutes later) it turned over once or twice stopped and the instrument cluster went blank. Towed home. Checked battery at 12.5 volts. Terminals all tight. Put on charger (Battery Tender Jr.). turned key after an hour and the instruments/panel flickered a bit for about 6 seconds then went away. I could hear a relay click when I turned the key off. Went back after 6 hours turned the key and absolutely nothing. I have had no issues with starting or any electrical drop outs. I don't know how old this battery is. Just came back from the shop where they replaced a bad oil pressure sensor. Any ideas? Thanks!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited with Can Am trailer
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by philbtv View Post
    2008 GS. Owned for a little over a year. 19100 miles. Rode yesterday for 45 minutes of freeway driving. Rode this morning for 35 mins freeway driving. On my way back later this morning (20 minutes of riding) stopped and shut off motor. When I went to start it back up (5 minutes later) it turned over once or twice stopped and the instrument cluster went blank. Towed home. Checked battery at 12.5 volts. Terminals all tight. Put on charger (Battery Tender Jr.). turned key after an hour and the instruments/panel flickered a bit for about 6 seconds then went away. I could hear a relay click when I turned the key off. Went back after 6 hours turned the key and absolutely nothing. I have had no issues with starting or any electrical drop outs. I don't know how old this battery is. Just came back from the shop where they replaced a bad oil pressure sensor. Any ideas? Thanks!
    The same thing happend on my 2013 RT. Turns out two relays were bad and not making good contact. I ordered new ones on line plus spares just in case. Total cost just over $20.00, I also replaced my 5year old battery just in case. All is good now. Check the relays start with the one that controls the cluster. Some of the relays are the same so swap out the one which controls the cluste and see what happens.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Have you tried to jump start it? If it jump starts, check for alternator output. It should be about 14V. If OK, replace the battery. Our batteries are small and can die instantly. One minute, OK. Next time, zero.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

On the early GS/RS's the relays occasionally worked their way loose so I would start by checking those first and just pushing on them all firmly just to make sure they are making good contact. If you're not sure where they are located I can post some instructions.

Spyder Garage

Default No Alternator

Pre 2014's have a Stator. Oops! my bad Magneto/Stator & Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. There!
    Last edited by taxmyzer; 06-27-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Pre 2014's have a Stator.
    Yes pre 2014 models have a stator. So do 2014 models and later. So does your car and so does the electricity generating station that sends electricity to your house. I think the word you were looking for was magneto. In this case it does not matter what the generator type is. It is likely a bad battery, loose connection or charging system.
    Last edited by billybovine; 06-27-2018 at 09:44 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just because the connections LOOK good doesn't mean that they really ARE.

You need to measure the voltage ON THE CABLE ENDS, not the actual battery posts......with the key ON and then with the start button pushed.

12.5 is a little low. You might find that it goes WAY down when a load is applied.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Just because the connections LOOK good doesn't mean that they really ARE. You need to measure the voltage ON THE CABLE ENDS, not the actual battery posts......with the key ON and then with the start button pushed. 12.5 is a little low. You might find that it goes WAY down when a load is applied.
    Measure the voltage when you're trying to start it. If it drops below 10v, you probably have a weak battery.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Measure the voltage when you're trying to start it. If it drops below 12v, you probably have a weak battery.
    I assume you mean the minimum voltage during crank. There is not going to be a battery (unless it is grossly oversized for the application) that is going to meet a minimum voltage of 12V during crank. The motor vehicle standard and repeated in the BRP service is 10V.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I assume you mean the minimum voltage during crank. There is not going to be a battery (unless it is grossly oversized for the application) that is going to meet a minimum voltage of 12V during crank. The motor vehicle standard and repeated in the BRP service is 10V.
    Okay, thanks. I'll fix that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The motor vehicle standard and repeated in the BRP service is 10V.
    I think that might need to be updated.

Some of the electronics have a minimum operating voltage a bit ABOVE that......like 10.5 or 11.

The battery itself might still have some life left in it but it might not be USEFUL life.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that might need to be updated. Some of the electronics have a minimum operating voltage a bit ABOVE that......like 10.5 or 11. The battery itself might still have some life left in it but it might not be USEFUL life.
    I was just suggesting a quick and easy way of doing a load test, without removing the battery or taking the bike down to the dealer's.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default It was the battery!

Well after swapping the relays-with no change-I got a new battery. BINGO! We are back on the road. I appreciate the comments and shared knowledge here on the forum. You guys are my first resource when I have issues-well Spyder issues!

Thanks a million!
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited with Can Am trailer
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbtv View Post
    Well after swapping the relays-with no change-I got a new battery. BINGO! We are back on the road. I appreciate the comments and shared knowledge here on the forum. You guys are my first resource when I have issues-well Spyder issues!

Thanks a million!
    Thanks for the update. So many do not get back to us with the results.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I think that might need to be updated.

Some of the electronics have a minimum operating voltage a bit ABOVE that......like 10.5 or 11.

The battery itself might still have some life left in it but it might not be USEFUL life.
    I don't know of any critical electronics on a motor vehicle that requires minimum voltage of greater then 10V. If I remember correctly the ECM does not record a low voltage fault until it is below 10V. Battery technology for motor vehicles has been around for a very long time. So it would dumb for a manufacturer to make electronics that did not work with current batteries. The gauge cluster on a Spyder shuts down below 10V. So the Spyder has a accidental load test feature built in. So when trying to start. If the gauge cluster shuts down. Then the ECM disengages the starter as a result. The gauge cluster then reboots because the voltage goes above 10V again. So the battery is discharged, bad or there is a loose connection increasing the voltage drop under load.

But when having a battery load tested with a proper load tester. As a personal preference if the results came in lower then 10.5V. I would replace it.

2018 F3 LIMITED