Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlight adjustment

I have installed LED headlights and they seem to be pointed a little "tall" and I would like to point them down about 1" or so when pointed at my garage door from about 6'.

I read somewhere that to adjust them you "rotate" them one way or the other and that would do it. I have no idea if that is true ...

Just how does one go about adjusting their headlights on a 2014 RTL?

Spyder Garage

Look at pg 136-137 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    I have installed LED headlights and they seem to be pointed a little "tall" and I would like to point them down about 1" or so when pointed at my garage door from about 6'. I read somewhere that to adjust them you "rotate" them one way or the other and that would do it. I have no idea if that is true ...Just how does one go about adjusting their headlights on a 2014 RTL?
    Each headlight has a enclosed cable that terminates in a knurled knob at the side access panels. That is what you 'turn' to adjust the height of the headlight, not the headlight itself.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If you remove the access cover on either side you'll find the adjusting cable shown as "1" below. Loosen the locking nut and twist the cable in one direction or the other until the headlight is pointed where you want it to go.
    Remember, the headlights will change point, depending on how heavy you load the motorcycle.
    I hope this is helpful

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    If you remove the access cover on either side you'll find the adjusting cable shown as "1" below. Loosen the locking nut and twist the cable in one direction or the other until the headlight is pointed where you want it to go. Remember, the headlights will change point, depending on how heavy you load the motorcycle. I hope this is helpful

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    ThreeWheels, thanks for the pic. As I recall, though, the locking nut is to hold the cable in place. I don't think it needs to be loosened in order to adjust the headlights, but I could be wrong.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    If you remove the access cover on either side you'll find the adjusting cable shown as "1" below. Loosen the locking nut and twist the cable in one direction or the other until the headlight is pointed where you want it to go.
    Remember, the headlights will change point, depending on how heavy you load the motorcycle.
    I hope this is helpful

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Helpful? ... WOW.

The instructions on the LED package had me in there twisting the bulb in the housing. This (if it works ... and I'm sure it will) it is sure be a LOT simpler to do than what they had in mind.

I am about to leave on a trip in which we will be loaded down quite a bit and I am sure it would be aiming my headlights over where they should be.

Thank You!!!
    Last edited by blitzkreig; 06-25-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    Helpful? ... WOW. The instructions on the LED package had me in there twisting the bulb in the housing. This (if it works ... and I'm sure it will) it is sure be a LOT simpler to do than what they had in mind. I am about to leave on a trip in which we will be loaded down quite a bit and I am sure it would be aiming my headlights over where they should be. Thank You!!!
    That's what your remote level adjuster is for - to let you level it out for an increased load. I know they say 'soft' and 'hard', but it's really load leveling.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's what your remote level adjuster is for - to let you level it out for an increased load. I know they say 'soft' and 'hard', but it's really load leveling.
    Now that makes sense too. I never could quite get the "soft and hard" bit as it never seemed to change much for me ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    ThreeWheels, thanks for the pic. As I recall, though, the locking nut is to hold the cable in place. I don't think it needs to be loosened in order to adjust the headlights, but I could be wrong.
    You are correct, the nut does not need to be loosened to adjust the headlight.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Before you go adjusting headlights after installing LEDs, check to see if the HI beam and Lo beam is still hi and lo. A lot of LEDs have come with the leads reversed. If so, switch the leads in the bulb socket.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

You should be able to just adjust the rear shock to keep your headlights in proper adjustment when you load the bike. That is if they are properly adjusted before you load the bike up. Check it out on the garage door. See the top of the light edge. Then apply your load and find where you need to adjust the suspension to have the same measurement. Easy.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi