Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is a reasonable time to wait for a dealer to service your Spyder?

My Spyder threw an error code and went to limp mode last week, so I got it to my local CanAm dealer last Saturday. When I called today, I was told they would not get to looking at the bike for at least two weeks. I do understand that it is summer and the wait for repairs is much longer than mid-winter, but is 2-3 weeks normal to wait just for a place to pull the code? Not to mention that if it needs parts, they need to be ordered, and the last time it needed parts it was another week waiting on those to come in. If it's three weeks to look at it, one week to order parts and another week to install them, I won't be riding until the end of July.

Is this normal at this time of year?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you beg them to at least hook it up to BUDS now? Did you happen to pull the code when it went into limp mode?

I know it must be frustrating to wait but when its boating season and off road season the wait can be long.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Lack of good dealer service seems to be the Achilles Heal of Spyder ownership. BRP has created a system whereby nobody but their dealers are willing or capable of working on the machines. Contrast that to my Gold Wing. Yesterday I took it to my independent shop for service and had oil, filter, and full inspection done as a walk-in customer. Total time in the shop was a little less than an hour and cost was $82 bucks. A lot of owners are doing and/or learning to do a lot of our own servicing because of problems just like you describe. It's the price we pay for owning a machine that is not common enough to have a competitive independent marketplace.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ...It's the price we pay for owning a machine that is not common enough to have a competitive independent marketplace.
    You bulls-eyed the situation. Spyders are a very small niche in the motorcycle injury. The next time you visit your independent GW servicing shop ask them how much they'd be willing to shell out not only once for specialized tools but annually for a B.U.D.S. software license renewal, not to mention getting on tech notice distribution lists, etc., to service ? how many Spyders, probably at max single digit numbers per month, if that many.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that the dealer you purchased from ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has got to hurt Spyder sales. I purchased mind without checking anything about their problems and dealer service. I am sure glad I did not check because I feel fortune that the 2015 I purchased has had some problems but none that I could not take care of. I really love the machine and really enjoy riding it. If I had been on this website before I purchased it and read articles like this thread I know I would have never purchased one. I am going to continue keeping it and riding my 2015 RT. I have a little over 21,000 miles on it and I have put over 11,000 miles on it myself without any major problems. Only problems I have had is handling which car tires, tire balancing, laser alignment, sway bar and belt tension er took care of that. Then I did keep getting DESS Key and I replaced the DESS modular and that took care of it. I will ride it this year up to around 50,000 miles and have no serious problems I will consider trading for a new one. I do realize that there a lot of people on this website that has put a lot trouble free miles on their Spyders. If I don't have to go to any dealers and can do all my own work I have no problem. I just wish their dealer's would be more like other motorcycle dealers. I wish they would let other motorcycle dealers take on Spyders and not have to carry their full line. I know one dealer that would like to have Spyder but would not give up their off road vehicles, water crafts or snow mobiles.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kidd View Post
    My Spyder threw an error code and went to limp mode last week, so I got it to my local CanAm dealer last Saturday. When I called today, I was told they would not get to looking at the bike for at least two weeks. I do understand that it is summer and the wait for repairs is much longer than mid-winter, but is 2-3 weeks normal to wait just for a place to pull the code? Not to mention that if it needs parts, they need to be ordered, and the last time it needed parts it was another week waiting on those to come in. If it's three weeks to look at it, one week to order parts and another week to install them, I won't be riding until the end of July.

You might want to learn how to pull the codes on your own.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Consumer Advocate here: Not right--actually wrong, wrong, wrong.

Unfortunately we some times have to kiss their rears to get our Spyders serviced. There is no competition out there.

One possibility, if there is more than one dealer in your area--give them a call.

This bring it in, wait for parts for at least a week or two, take another week to get to it, and then usually screw something up is really not right.

I have been waiting two months for my dealer to get brake pads for my 2011. They also were supposed to order the transmission oil filter for my 2014--guess what--it was not part of the oil change kit. I told them that before I brought it in for service and they blew me off. I know they forgot to order the brake pads for the 2011. I am getting ready to go in and have a sit down with the boss. He has sold me all five spyders. I am giving the new service manager plenty of rope.

At least I will have five choices for service in about a year.

Rant over.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When I first read the header I was thinking you were implying a 'normal' service situation on a Spyder not a break down situation …

I do now get what you are querying and your frustration …. Are there no other dealers within reasonable distance you can use as an alternate ? Even to pull down the codes … speaking of which, I am gathering you didn't note them either? Just trying to think 'outside the box' here for you …. Why don't you ask to go along and note down the codes yourself and do some research ...Or (with due respect) are you not mechanically inclined at all?
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 06-21-2018 at 03:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Clarifications

Thanks for all of your responses! I guess I need to clarify some things, I didn't want to make my post too long.
    • I do have the codes and I did my due diligence to look them up (many thanks to this forum!) and the code indicates a sensor needs to be replaced, which is above my pay grade. However, the service department doesn't seem to care about what code or what I found and says they have to start by pulling the code themselves. In fact, when I called them on Wednesday they had zero notes on file on even what the problem was but it doesn't matter - the dealer said that they won't diagnose until they put it on the reader and putting the bike on the reader alone just to verify the code will take at least two weeks.
    • I can't drive it because it keeps throwing the code and going into limp mode. The other closest dealer is ~50 miles away so I would have to trailer it there. However, my local dealership has an excellent Spyder mechanic (he's done work on it before) and I know he will do a great job once he gets to it. It's just giving up on prime riding season.
    • And as far as me being mechanically inclined (fair question...but ouch!), I'm sure the jury is out on that and while I can throw a wrench a little, this bike is so computerized that I don't want to tinker with sensors. I did lots of work on my old Suzuki motorcycle but it was much simpler. I don't feel confident that I have the skills and experience to work on the Spyder myself for most issues because so many things can go wrong that I don't have tools (or brains or money) to fix.
    • I initially went to this dealership to buy a Spyder but I had such a negative experience with their sales department that I bought from a dealership out of state that gave me great service. To sum it up - Maybe I'm old school but if I am wandering around your department looking at bikes, I don't think I need to go find you and ask for help. And when I do, you're texting on your phone, you act annoyed I bothered you and you don't even look up at me to answer my question... and keep on texting, I'm done. This dealership has many 5-star reviews, and I was in there more than once to try and work with them on slow business days and still bad or no service from sales, so I am going to go with there's something wrong with my face that makes them not want to work with me. The service department is another story - very good mechanics, hard working, honest, fair priced. Just horribly far behind. Obviously two different management styles in those two areas.
    • gerald37, I also did not see this forum or read about this issue prior to buying it or I never would have bought it in the first place. Lots of great, honest info out there but it would have deterred me. I'm glad I got it, it's a great experience and so much fun to drive but like canamjhb said (and is spot on), service is the Achilles for this brand.

Thanks again for your input, I now know this is a common situation and if BRP wants to stay in business, they need to get more trained mechanics out in the industry to service their customers after the sale. Happy customers are repeat customers.
    Last edited by Captain Kidd; 06-21-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Big #1 in Birmingham, Alabama
    said the same thing to me. They said 2 weeks before that could get to it. Would not put in on buds and order parts while waiting to fix my bike. I waited the 2 weeks for them to look at it and that didn't happen, an finally after 7 WEEKS, it was ready for pick up. It probably would have been even longer had I not called the General Manager complained, and got him involved . He make sure my bike was done on their next work day.
    My bike went into limp mode and check engine. All they did was recall on the throttle and disconnect my third brake light from Custom Dynamics, said third brake light caused the problem. I will never go back to that dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would find another dealer, there is no reason you should have to wait that long for service. I now ride 160 miles to use a dealer that puts my needs first, and appreciated my business They are out there, you just have to find them. There is a group on Facebook that now has a service listing of many dealers and their customers opinions, put together by Doc Humphries and Spyder owners. You might look for it.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Service

I have a friend that just bought a 2017 RTS and was ryding and had a code thrown. Went back to the purchased dealer and asked to put it on B.U.D.S. and they stated it would be at least two weeks to do this. He looked around and there were no customers in sight and there were no mechanics that he could see working. He asked again and got the same reply. This is the dealer he bought it from and has many dealerships in northeast Ohio. This has happened to three other members of our ryding group. Same sort of comments. Not to name him, but you can probably guess who.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default really

do u think its just can am service thats backed up get agrip they are all about two weeks out do care what you ride we have four shops for can am in our area they are all two weeks out im tired of you people thinkin you should be able to ride or trailer in and get right out

Spyder Garage

For an appointment/service, both 2 wheel and 3 wheel are at about 2 - 3 weeks lead right now in my area depending on what it is. This is for multiple dealers.

Personally, it's certainly making me think ahead about when I need XYZ done.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Another possible component of the extreme wait-times

I have three dealers that are all a reasonable distance from me. Dealer #1 about 12 miles, dealer#2 about 48 miles ... dealer #3 about 50 miles but harder to get to. They all have a few things in common (1) they have one "Cam Am Master Mech" (2) Can Am implies that they sell all of the Can Am line - watercraft, ATVs and Spyders. (3) At all three of these dealers they also sell Kawasaki, Honda, and various lawn / power equipment brands.

What happens to us? - In two cases here - both"BRP Platinum Dealers" - if you purchase from the floor it is 2 plus weeks to take delivery AND any service, no matter how insignificant is at least two weeks. Remember if they order parts - it takes even longer (they have to screw that up at least once before getting the right part) They are busy selling and servicing watercraft at both of the these dealers. In fact watercraft makes up the majority of the sales - and thus get priority service. Watercraft and power / lawn equipment get priority service - quicker turn around for more revenue. Direct words from a previous sales guy at one of dealers. My neighbors two SeaDoo's have been in on a Thursday and in the water Friday afternoon - priority service and parts carried in stock.

Just my observations and two cents. With proper manuals and other documentation, proper tooling and the ability to follow directions (including guidance from folks here) the Spyder is no that challenging. Personally I find the most annoying part is removing all the Tupperware to do simple tasks.

Dave
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This has got to be frustrating for you. I really hope you can get a resolution. I've enjoyed my dealer so far and I hope it continues.

I had a bad experience with a Honda car dealer for warranty repairs. This became the end of my Honda car buying. I finally traded it for a Toyota, because I don't want to worry about my wife's car breaking down.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    do u think its just can am service thats backed up get agrip they are all about two weeks out do care what you ride we have four shops for can am in our area they are all two weeks out im tired of you people thinkin you should be able to ride or trailer in and get right out
    My shop has one technician for all of the products they sell. So there are boat and SUV owners in town who are also complaining about how long it takes to get a service appointment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    I have three dealers that are all a reasonable distance from me. Dealer #1 about 12 miles, dealer#2 about 48 miles ... dealer #3 about 50 miles but harder to get to. They all have a few things in common (1) they have one "Cam Am Master Mech" (2) Can Am implies that they sell all of the Can Am line - watercraft, ATVs and Spyders. (3) At all three of these dealers they also sell Kawasaki, Honda, and various lawn / power equipment brands.

What happens to us? - In two cases here - both"BRP Platinum Dealers" - if you purchase from the floor it is 2 plus weeks to take delivery AND any service, no matter how insignificant is at least two weeks. Remember if they order parts - it takes even longer (they have to screw that up at least once before getting the right part) They are busy selling and servicing watercraft at both of the these dealers. In fact watercraft makes up the majority of the sales - and thus get priority service. Watercraft and power / lawn equipment get priority service - quicker turn around for more revenue. Direct words from a previous sales guy at one of dealers. My neighbors two SeaDoo's have been in on a Thursday and in the water Friday afternoon - priority service and parts carried in stock.

Just my observations and two cents. With proper manuals and other documentation, proper tooling and the ability to follow directions (including guidance from folks here) the Spyder is no that challenging. Personally I find the most annoying part is removing all the Tupperware to do simple tasks.

Dave
    You are right. For people with mechanical ability, a good manual, and correct tools you can take care of most problems. The Spyder is not that challenging. I can understand the frustration for people that do not have the ability to do their own work or just don't want to. To a person with mechanical ability some things do not look complicated but it is much different to others. I sure would not like to own a Spyder if I had to depend on some of the dealers around my area.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Forums in general...

.... I also did not see this forum or read about this issue prior to buying it or I never would have bought it in the first place. Lots of great, honest info out there but it would have deterred me. I'm glad I got it, it's a great experience and so much fun to drive but like canamjhb said (and is spot on), service is the Achilles for this brand...
    In the past I have belonged to various motorcycle forums pertaining to the bike I was riding at the time. My forum online activity started with the Valkyrie, then Goldwing 1800, then Harleys, then K1600 BMW, and now the Spyder. If I let the conversations on the specific forum influence me too much, I would not have bought any of those bikes. And then, once I had the bike, I was worried I would need to carry a set of spare parts based on all the breakdown comments.
    Maybe I was extremely fortunate, but it turned out for me, all of those bikes were basically problem free and many had over 60K miles before I went to another. I remember when on trips with the Harley I talked to several folks and when I brought up a discussion mentioning something about the forum, they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I soon realized there are a huge multitude of folks out there that just ride and they skip the whole forum experience all together. They don't even think about potential issues with their bike, they just ride it.
    I like this forum for all the great information and great folks on it, but just because you see some issues here that are discussed, don't let it get you down and don't assume these issues effect a huge percentage of the Spyders out there. Yes, I think the dealer situation sucks, both the few choices and the service from some of them, but so far my opinion of the Spyder is pretty high and I think its the only nice trike option out there. Just my opinion....
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    In the past I have belonged to various motorcycle forums pertaining to the bike I was riding at the time. My forum online activity started with the Valkyrie, then Goldwing 1800, then Harleys, then K1600 BMW, and now the Spyder. If I let the conversations on the specific forum influence me too much, I would not have bought any of those bikes. And then, once I had the bike, I was worried I would need to carry a set of spare parts based on all the breakdown comments.
    Maybe I was extremely fortunate, but it turned out for me, all of those bikes were basically problem free and many had over 60K miles before I went to another. I remember when on trips with the Harley I talked to several folks and when I brought up a discussion mentioning something about the forum, they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I soon realized there are a huge multitude of folks out there that just ride and they skip the whole forum experience all together. They don't even think about potential issues with their bike, they just ride it.
    I like this forum for all the great information and great folks on it, but just because you see some issues here that are discussed, don't let it get you down and don't assume these issues effect a huge percentage of the Spyders out there. Yes, I think the dealer situation sucks, both the few choices and the service from some of them, but so far my opinion of the Spyder is pretty high and I think its the only nice trike option out there. Just my opinion....
    This is a very good summary of the situation. I have owned many different bikes and also joined the forums of the bike I was riding. I had 2 BMW K1200LT's and the website on them had all kinds of problems listed. They had a lot of rear end drives go out and I did have one under warranty. The thing with them it was in the shop 3 days and back on the road. On every motorcycle forum when ever anyone has a problem they will report it. You never get all the trouble free mentioned. I am really beginning to feel that the Spyder does not have anymore or even less problems than some of the other bikes. I do agree the dealer situation sucks. This forum has really helped me to maintain and make changes on my Spyder.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder threw an error code and went to limp mode last week, so I got it to my local CanAm dealer last Saturday. When I called today, I was told they would not get to looking at the bike for at least two weeks. I do understand that it is summer and the wait for repairs is much longer than mid-winter, but is 2-3 weeks normal to wait just for a place to pull the code? Not to mention that if it needs parts, they need to be ordered, and the last time it needed parts it was another week waiting on those to come in. If it's three weeks to look at it, one week to order parts and another week to install them, I won't be riding until the end of July. Is this normal at this time of year?
    Depending on the dealer, there can be a 2-3 week wait for Spyder service at any time of year. Yes, this is normal.

In the future, you might want to hang onto your bike while waiting for your appointment to come up. There's always a chance you can clear the codes yourself with help from this community. And, as long as it's not a safety issue, keep riding while waiting.

You could also ask them to hook up their computer and do a diagnostic much sooner than 2 - 3 weeks. Most likely, they have you booked that far out only because they are expecting a 3-4 hour service. But, the computer diagnostic only takes a few minutes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Carold571 View Post
    after 7 WEEKS, it was ready for pick up. .
    Oh my - 7 weeks! Egads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    My intent on this post was to present my specific situation and ask if is it normal to have this happen. I think that's fair to ask others if they are having the same experience. Since "Yes" is the consensus, along with some good advice from fellow forum members, that is my answer. Now, I don't feel that I should be able to ride in and ride out, that's unreasonable and I don't think I should go ahead of others or get anything special. But if everyone else on the planet got in and out in less than a week at this time of year, then I would know it was this particular dealership and to move to another, but that's not the case so the bike will remain there. And honestly, I feel badly for the people who work in the service department because they get the brunt of angry customers. That's gotta suck badly and it would make me hate my job.

Anyways, bottom line is it sounds like BRP is not providing small dealerships enough in recruiting and training Spyder-specific mechanics. Unless that changes, I will need to get myself more mechanically inclined.