Thread: Driving Lights

Spyder Garage

Default Driving Lights

Any input would help. I am looking for a bright set of lights for night driving, anybody know which shine more light out between these two, the Cool Magic Bullets or the LED Day runners?? Any other suggestions ?? Thanks
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    Any input would help. I am looking for a bright set of lights for night driving, anybody know which shine more light out between these two, the Cool Magic Bullets or the LED Day runners?? Any other suggestions ?? Thanks
    There are plenty of threads on adding driving lights to your bike. Why not try the search function?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There are plenty of threads on adding driving lights to your bike. Why not try the search function?

I did search nothing really mentions which sets are brighter.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Spyder Garage

Look at Spyderpops sight
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Brighter" isn't really the best goal...
    It's much better to have a properly aimed set of lights, that throw a nice full pattern.
    Contact TricLEDs: they've got what you need...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did search nothing really mentions which sets are brighter.
    That's because you're asking the wrong question. Light pattern is important, as is location (high up vs low down) and the design of the reflector.

For serious driving lights, I recommend you go to Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...driving-lights

and while you're there, read up on the different types of lights, pros and cons, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Clearwater lights.

I believe Clearwater LED lights are the brightest available. But money had better not be a concern. They do turn night into day and could even get you a ticket if not used properly.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-20-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: found a link for you
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

That's because you're asking the wrong question. Light pattern is important, as is location (high up vs low down) and the design of the reflector.

For serious driving lights, I recommend you go to Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...driving-lights

and while you're there, read up on the different types of lights, pros and cons, etc.
    Not really the wrong question I listed two style of lights both that mount in similar locations one the cool Magic billet
    comparable to 50 watt halogen bulbs with a 30 degree pattern,
    Second Led Day runners
    LED powered DRLs that add a remarkable amount of additional night time illumination, so the question is does anyone know which one is better for night driving and puts out more light to illuminate the road.
    looking for some one who has used these or rides with people that have these on the can-am's and can make a comparison

Spyder Garage

Bulldogger, I agree with UtahPete. Search involves learning to use the best words. Modifying your searches teaches you how to Search effectively. Ask me how I know.....
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not really the wrong question I listed two style of lights both that mount in similar locations one the cool Magic billet
    comparable to 50 watt halogen bulbs with a 30 degree pattern,
    Second Led Day runners
    LED powered DRLs that add a remarkable amount of additional night time illumination, so the question is does anyone know which one is better for night driving and puts out more light to illuminate the road.
    looking for some one who has used these or rides with people that have these on the can-am's and can make a comparison
    I've never heard of either one. Never seen either mentioned here.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Probably why the search showed nothing. Those lights are from Custom Dynamics, back when I joined the forum in 09, Custom Dynamics and ESI were pretty popular for lighting options, figured since the search was a bust I would see if anyone actually used either one of these. I put the factory fogs in my wife's but didn't feel like spending over $400 on the BRP set up again. I guess I'll figure it out on my own like usual

Spyder Garage

Try this site Rigid industries.com they have lots of options.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

SpyderPop'sLED bumpskid IMG_8316.jpg TricLed ringz & Pop's bumpskid
    IMG_8346.jpgView from side
    IMG_8326.jpgStock high beam & skid, I was unprepared with the amount of light it would cast to my side, my peripheral view took some getting use to, as the curbs next to me are now lit. (At first red light thought a car was going to squeeze between me & curb) on streets with no curb just a 4-6ft drain ditch the light shines across ditch.
    FYI from center of lane. should have got sooner
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-21-2018 at 02:21 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Can I ask are you looking at around town or other than a built up area ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    Can I ask are you looking at around town or other than a built up area ?
    Long Island area right now, pretty busy area with a lot of pot holes and Deer at night.

Spyder Garage

All right think I am going to go with these. They are plug and play with on/off switch. Reflector style housing.

https://www.customdynamics.com/cool-...-can-am-spyder

made from aircraft grade T6061 billet aluminum black anodized finish3 super flux 2 watt Cree LEDsCool White 6000k HID Colorlow current draw (comparable to 50 watt halogen bulbs)Dimensions are 3.125” long x 2.25” DiameterMounting stud is 3/8 – 16Lifetime LED WarrantySold Pair

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know how you like them; good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All right think I am going to go with these. They are plug and play with on/off switch. Reflector style housing.
    If you actually have them in use much, you might want to keep an eye on your battery charge.
    Seems like I remember that the earlier models didn't have much reserve electrical capacity......and a pair of those would draw about 8 amps.

Spyder Garage

Question What ?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If you actually have them in use much, you might want to keep an eye on your battery charge.
    Seems like I remember that the earlier models didn't have much reserve electrical capacity......and a pair of those would draw about 8 amps.
    How are you getting that 6 2 watt LEDs ? From what I remember, watts/volts = amps. 12 watts/12 volts would seem to draw roughly 1 amp. If my memory of Ohn's law is incorrect, I'm sure I will be corrected.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    How are you getting that 6 2 watt LEDs ? From what I remember, watts/volts = amps. 12 watts/12 volts would seem to draw roughly 1 amp. If my memory of Ohn's law is incorrect, I'm sure I will be corrected.
    The web site says: "with a low current draw (comparable to 50 watt halogen bulbs)."

Spyder Garage

I doubt they'll draw more than 5 amps for the pair.
    Low draw is a benefit to LED.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Hi Bulldogger,

Re: I am going to go with these.

I wish you the best of luck with them.

However, the instructions say: 2. Drill 3/8" hole in control arm at desired mounting location.

I would caution anyone to never drill any hole thru a suspension control arm.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bulldogger,

Re: I am going to go with these.

I wish you the best of luck with them.

However, the instructions say: 2. Drill 3/8" hole in control arm at desired mounting location.

I would caution anyone to never drill any hole thru a suspension control arm.

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry you don’t actually drill through the control arm you drill through the plastic piece that actually sits on the control arm. Where they mount Is just a spot on the plastic dress piece.