Spyder Garage

Default modular Shoei Neotec II with Sena SRL

I would like to find out if someone owns this helmet/Sena combo and what are the pro's and con's. We would use it to communicate from Spyder to Gold Wing and hopefully other riders with older Sena systems.
    Sena's web pages are not complete, some of the information is confusing, I thought it will be the best to ask users.
    I read online that Sena SM20 does not communicate with the Zumo 590 GPS that are part of RT Limited. Also, how reliable is the android and/or iPhone integration?
    Without contacting Sena, what are your experiences?
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    I would like to find out if someone owns this helmet/Sena combo and what are the pro's and con's. We would use it to communicate from Spyder to Gold Wing and hopefully other riders with older Sena systems.
    Sena's web pages are not complete, some of the information is confusing, I thought it will be the best to ask users.
    I read online that Sena SM20 does not communicate with the Zumo 590 GPS that are part of RT Limited. Also, how reliable is the android and/or iPhone integration?
    Without contacting Sena, what are your experiences?

Hi,

I have a Shoei Neotec II helmet with the integrated Sena SRL. I love the helmet and enjoy the SRL integration. Btw, it took forever to find the SRL since it's sold out everywhere. Finally bought it on eBay for 299 -- no shipping or tax.

The pros:
    • Since the system is integrated so well into the helmet, you don't have a giant bluetooth controller stuck to the side of the helmet, which would increase wind noise.
    • Voice commands are available and do actually work. I have tried only a few of them so far though.
    • Allows you to pair a first and second device (e.g., phone + bike, or phone + GPS) to the helmet.
    • I can control the song navigation from the bike's joystick, but not the volume. Seems that the music is streaming via bluetooth from the phone to the bike and then from the bike to the helmet (from what I can determine).
    • Comms integration works with older SENA systems. Just tested that a few days ago when I went on a ride with a friend. I don't recall which SENA package he was using. To get it to pair with his SENA, however, I had to use the "universal" pairing instead of the SENA pairing. (see instructions). Range in the GA mountains was acceptable.
    • Charge lasts a while.
    • It's loud enough.
    • Has recent bluetooth profile (4.1). Wouldn't buy one of those cheaper helmets with built-in bluetooth 3.0. Can't understand why those are still around. 'Cause they're cheap? :-)

The cons:
    • Expensive. ( I dropped (err..."invested") a grand on the helmet + SRL combined)
    • You need to memorize several commands to get the most from the SRL. There are taps, double taps, and triple taps. Then there are longer button presses, pressing a button for 1 second vs. 8 seconds vs. 12 seconds, etc. Voice commands reduce the memorization a little.
    • There are some spots where the music gets dropped sometimes for a second or so. It's intermittent and seems to happen more when the phone is in my pocket, but I'm not sure yet that I've found the pattern/cause. Yes, I'm using the latest firmware for the bike and the helmet. Only occurs though when the bike connects to the helmet in addition to the phone's connection to the helmet and/or bike. Doesn't occur, for example, if I just have the helmet connected to the phone without the bike's connection (bike is off or not paired).
    • Needs bass. Really needs more bass, m'kay?
    • Needs 2.5 hours to charge fully from empty.

The phone I'm using is an iPhone X.

Hope this helps!

Ride safely,

Richard
    iOS Software Engineer
    Atlanta, GA

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much Richard, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I will contact Sena about the zūmo590 to make sure I can integrate it.
    Yes, it is pricey, but I am looking for a good helmet and the fact, that I can use the Sena without it being mounted on the side is big plus.
    It is on back order and should be available at the Dryer in Indy today, I’ll have to check.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

I did some extensive research for a modular helmet as I have only worn full face helmets which all happened to be Arai Vector 2; why change if it fits like a glove and Arai is more suited for my head shape. Fast forward to early this year and my wife says to buy an RT and upgrade her helmet. I started looking at helmets and communication systems. I narrowed down both of our search to the Neotec2 and Schuberth C3 Pro. Both of us tried on various sizes in both styles and I decided to get the Neotec 2 with Sena SRL and my wife decided on the Schuberth C3 Pro woman with the sena 20s.

My wife absolutely loves her C3 Pro woman, said it's the most comfortable helmet she has ever worn.

I ended up up getting the Neotec2 in excursion TC5 model along with srl. Installation of the system is easy as the system is made just for this helmet.

The pairing of the two systems was easy, setting up Bluetooth along with streaming music was not an issue. Yes there are a few button combos to memorize to utilize all the features but I learned the combos I absolutely needed but will play around with rest in winter.

the fit itself was very snug but not uncomfortable, however I found the helmet to be a lot heavier than my Arai and that's to be expected as a modular along with a comm system. The helmet weighs around 4.2 lbs.

the airflow throughout the helmet is fantastic and the air coming in from the chin vent does not go in to the eyes. I also really liked the drop down sun visor and the pin lock. The helmet has very clean lines which makes it very aerodynamic and quiet for a modular.

We went on a 800 mile round trip with our new helmet setup and the Sena systems were great, clear and crisp sound. Streaming my music from my phone was excellent.

I did however experience immense pain from back corners of my head so when I got back I was quite dejected thinking I had made a very expensive mistake. I called Shoei and they sent me some extra foam pieces to try out in order to eliminate the pressure points. I added the foam pieces so the helmet doesn't dig in and it certainly has helped. They also told me that if I am ever in California I can make an appointment with them and they will do a customized fit with my helmet which is reassuring

I also have ridden with the front shield up and this helmet stays very sturdy without the serious buffeting

Would i I recommend this helmet, absolutely. The sena srl is very sleek but juts remember to make sure the shoei fits your head shape as this is a very expensive setup not transferred from helmet to helmet.
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 06-20-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much crazycanuck. Great info.
    We have currently cheap modular Summit 3.0 helmets. While we love the modular features, I personally can't cope with the poor airflow in warm weather. Another bad thing is my neck hurts after couple of hours on the trips - these Summit helmets are too heavy for me.
    We tried some of the Shoei helmets, they are lighter although nobody had our size in Neotec II. It is not easy to find a dealer that would have many Shoei helmets in stock and obody had Schuberth.

Spyder Garage

interesting thread, as we were in this same position. My wife wanted a modular. The Neotec II with SRL seemed like the perfect choice. However, we don't do music or phones or anything else while riding except intercom between bikes, so intercom was the #1 priority for us. I was shocked to learn that the SRL system does NOT have VOX so that intercom between bikes is automatic as soon as you begin speaking. I even called Sena in California, thinking this must be a mistake. They confirmed that rider-rider communication can only occur by pressing one of the buttons on the SRL to stop/start conversations.

I'm just wondering if any SRL owners can confirm this. Even with Sena telling me that, I just find it hard to believe that with the technology where it is today, a $300 communicator does not support VOX for intercom...

As another poster mentioned, she went with the Schuberth C3 Pro. And she also says it's the most comfortable helmet she has ever worn. The liner is very soft and plush.......And Schuberth has been making F1 helmets for many years, so there's no question regarding maximum crash protection.

We purchased the Sena 20S EVO communicators and they work splendidly.
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 06-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    I was shocked to learn that the SRL system does NOT have VOX so that intercom between bikes is automatic as soon as you begin speaking. I even called Sena in California, thinking this must be a mistake. They confirmed that rider-rider communication can only occur by pressing one of the buttons on the SRL to stop/start conversations.

I'm just wondering if any SRL owners can confirm this.

Well, since the SRL supports connecting to 9 different people, there's a problem: to whom are you speaking when you start talking? Comm #4? Comm #7? I think that's why there are two ways you can initiate a comm:

1) Button press(es), or
    2) Say "Hello Sena" followed by "Intercom 1" (or whatever number the comm is)

Option #2 sounds like what you're looking for.

Also check out the manual.

Ride safely,

Richard

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Crazycanuk's post lays out in spades, IMO, the most important factor: if that brain bucket doesn't fit properly and COMFORTABLY all the integrated electronics aren't worth a rat's rump.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Button action on the SRL

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRubin View Post
    Well, since the SRL supports connecting to 9 different people, there's a problem: to whom are you speaking when you start talking? Comm #4? Comm #7? I think that's why there are two ways you can initiate a comm:

1) Button press(es), or
    2) Say "Hello Sena" followed by "Intercom 1" (or whatever number the comm is)

Option #2 sounds like what you're looking for.

Also check out the manual.

Ride safely,

Richard
    My wife and I have the Neotec II with the built-in SRL system and love both the helmets and the communications.
    We do have a simple setup, mine is paired to the Zumo and we are also paired to each other.
    We hit the button once when we start the ride and never hit it again and can communicate between each other all day without any other button action.
    The GPS instructions will overlay our conversation when it starts giving directions which is perfect.

If you throw other things into the mix, phones, music players, etc - not sure how that would effect anything using our setup.
    We just like to keep it simple on the ride.
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Spyder Garage

Thank you Denno,
    which Zumo model do you have? 590?

Spyder Garage

Having a problem getting the Neotec II with SRL to pair with the new Spyder RT Limited and BRP connect. Can you give me an assist since you have the same setup. Thanks

Spyder Garage

We both got the Neotech2 and the SRL2...only difference is that the SRL2 was easier to get and the mic has a little thicker part where the mic connects inside the helmet. After a little shaving of the channel that the mic fits in it works great. Love having it all inside the.helmet. our daughter has one of our old SMH-10s and they work together just fine.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Dbronc1,
    I'm sorry I didn't try to connect to the Spyder's system.
    I love my helmet, so does my better half. It integrates with my android and his iPhone very well. We both use our cell phones for music and even maps, which are many times much better than the expensive Zumo my RT came with.
    Hopefully someone else can help you, good luck.