Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Crappy sound

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Gee. Thanks for all the details.
    Hey rattlebars he is talking about the following - here is a quote from one of his older posts.
    I did my 14 RT last year with GTO 528's and GTO 428's ( front -rear )..........they are not currently available except E-bay because they have been super-ceded........But they are fantastic ...they are 2 OHM which effectively doubles the power of the OEM radio.......Mine can be played at MAX volume without dis-tortion........but at that level they are just to loud unless you are at least 100 + feet away............the rears do need a home made trim ring because they are slightly smaller than stock ( which are a bastard size 4 3/4 inch )..................Right now they are selling for about $ 90 for all four......Mike

I put the smaller ones in my ST Ltd and it did make a difference. I have not tried anything like that on my F3T. Since, I have read this may not be that good of an idea depending on what ohm rating the amp is designed to run. Most car type speakers seem to be rated at 4 ohms. The idea as I understand it is that a 2 ohm speaker will put out twice the power from the same amp
    Last edited by Gcclubs; 07-22-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER SOUND

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Hey rattlebars he he is talking about the following - here is a quote from one of his older posts.
    I did my 14 RT last year with GTO 528's and GTO 428's ( front -rear )..........they are not currently available except E-bay because they have been super-ceded........But they are fantastic ...they are 2 OHM which effectively doubles the power of the OEM radio.......Mine can be played at MAX volume without dis-tortion........but at that level they are just to loud unless you are at least 100 + feet away............the rears do need a home made trim ring because they are slightly smaller than stock ( which are a bastard size 4 3/4 inch )..................Right now they are selling for about $ 90 for all four......Mike

I put the smaller ones in my ST Ltd and it did make a difference. I have not tried anything like that on my F3T. Since I have read this may not be that good of an idea depending on what ohm rating the amp is designed to run. Most car type speakers seem to be rated at 4 ohms. The idea as I understand it is that a 2 ohm speaker will put out twice the power from the same amp
    ... Thanks for looking that up for the questioner ...That was one of at least a dozen posts / threads I did on the subject ..... on another thread a told how to swap the 428's to 528's in the rear ... added more base ....( GTO 508c's work even better ) .... Mike..............PS, as far as the OHM difference goes , back when I did it someone here said it shouldn't / couldn't work !!!! ...The JBL Tech said we have sold thousands of 2 Ohm speakers for Auto's that have OEM 4 Ohm speakers and there have no issues ..... I don't know how many hours I have on this swap but I do have 40,000 miles of radio " ON " time , with no issues in/on the system.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-22-2018 at 10:02 AM.