Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This info is from actually HEARING them perform …. the 16 & 17 speakers were about equal to what I achieved with my 2 ohm JBL speakers …. which is damn good …. however in 18 & 19 the same engineer who screwed up the whole DESS issue probably " FIXED " the also not broken speakers from 16 & 17 ….. this seems to be a common practice at BRP ….. maybe that engineer is a nephew of the founder ….. jmho …. Mike
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

What are the size of the speakers on a 2020 F3 Limited?

Spyder Garage

Default 2018-2020 F3 Limited Amp and Speaker Upgrade?

Has anyone upgraded their amplifier in a 2018 or newer F3 Limited Spyders? BRP stated the 6x20 amp is proprietary and cannot be upgraded. Can anyone establish if this is a truly a fact?

The volume output on my 2018 F3-L is significantly lower compared to a 2017 F3-L (as an example which uses a different electronic dash cluster and audio system that has two amps to drive the front and rear speakers). Even while traveling at highway speeds with a tall windscreen, I can barely make out the GPS navigation instructions let alone the music even with the volume set to 95% or greater on the newer Spyders. Just in case you might be wondering, my annual hearing test confirmed the ears are functioning at 100%.

To be sure the issue isn't isolated to only my Spyder, I've had on loan over the past two years brand new 2018's and 2019's F3-L's and RT-L's which suffered from the same low volume output compared to their predecessor Spyders. The 2020 F3-L I currently have on loan is a tad louder yet BRP claims it's the same amplifier and speaker setup.

I'm interested to upgrade the audio output so I can hear the nav and music. But so far BRP cannot give me anything more. My Spyder tech cannot find anything to determine any difference either between the 2020 and past two year Spyder Limited models.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Has anyone upgraded their amplifier in a 2018 or newer F3 Limited Spyders? BRP stated the 6x20 amp is proprietary and cannot be upgraded. Can anyone establish if this is a truly a fact?

The volume output on my 2018 F3-L is significantly lower compared to a 2017 F3-L (as an example which uses a different electronic dash cluster and audio system that has two amps to drive the front and rear speakers). Even while traveling at highway speeds with a tall windscreen, I can barely make out the GPS navigation instructions let alone the music even with the volume set to 95% or greater on the newer Spyders. Just in case you might be wondering, my annual hearing test confirmed the ears are functioning at 100%.

To be sure the issue isn't isolated to only my Spyder, I've had on loan over the past two years brand new 2018's and 2019's F3-L's and RT-L's which suffered from the same low volume output compared to their predecessor Spyders. The 2020 F3-L I currently have on loan is a tad louder yet BRP claims it's the same amplifier and speaker setup.

I'm interested to upgrade the audio output so I can hear the nav and music. But so far BRP cannot give me anything more. My Spyder tech cannot find anything to determine any difference either between the 2020 and past two year Spyder Limited models.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    I have a 2018 F3L. The audio from my android phone BT connected to the dash is plenty loud at any speed. I am slightly hard of hearing. Too many years of loud toys. I have the volume so high that pedestrians walking on the sidewalk turn around to look at what is coming.

If you have an android phone. While BT connected to the dash. On the phone. Have you answered the warning notice about high volume is bad for your hearing and turned the volume all the way up. That has to done everytime the phone is cycle off and on. Each app has it's own volume level on the dash. So if you want the volume higher for the gps app then the music app. You need to turn the volume up for the gps while it's giving a prompt. Hard to do.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My wife has a 2018 F3T and I have a 2020 F3L. There is a big audio difference between the 2 where hers "pops" at higher volumes and it doesn't play nearly as loud as mine. Both are on the latest software version for the years. But there is a software differece between the 2 years. Hopefully BRP will update the 2018's to the same level as the 2020's, but I'm not holding my breath. I am working on upgrading hers with some Kicker 6.5's and a Kicker amp. No issues thus far with it all wired for testing and that little amp makes it plenty loud. I just received the inner console part so I can start modifying it to make the 6.5's fit and keep the original for just in case... or restoration for trade later. I will do a write-up in the how to section later.. but it will be a while as I have some "engineering" and likely some fiberglass work to do for the speakers.

For enquiring minds, we opted for the PXA 300.4 just to drive the fronts. It has high level inputs and it seems to work well just tapping the original speaker wires. Basically, the stock amp stays in and feeds the signal to the Kicker amp via the original speaker wires. The original plan was to use 2 channels to drives the mids and 2 channels to drive the tweets as there have been reports of the stock system not providing full range output to the woofers and the tweet outputs block lows for sure, but after semi-scientific testing, the woofer outputs from the bike play frequencies higher than we can hear... we tested the tweet output too and it topped out around the same point as the woofer output... so both play fairly high... or our hearing is shot and we can't hear over that frequency anyway... separating the mid and tweet didn't make a difference either. I am using a component set so I can amplify each separately.

So, based on all that, one set of channels will be used for both and i will use the Kicker crossover and just stick it in the speaker cavity.

The other 2 channels I debated using for the rears, but I may try to sneak a Kicker 6.5" (or was it 6.75") sub in somewhere... like maybe removing the glove box and fiberglassing a housing and downfiring it there... pretty tight fit though and not 100% sure I can get enough air volume in the enclosure... we'll see.

TL : DR version... Yes, aftermarket amplification is possible as are aftermarket speakers... it just depends on the size and how much modification you want to do...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    My wife has a 2018 F3T and I have a 2020 F3L.
    For enquiring minds, we opted for the PXA 300.4 just to drive the fronts. It has high level inputs and it seems to work well just tapping the original speaker wires. Basically, the stock amp stays in and feeds the signal to the Kicker amp via the original speaker wires. The original plan was to use 2 channels to drives the mids and 2 channels to drive the tweets as there have been reports of the stock system not providing full range output to the woofers and the tweet outputs block lows for sure, but after semi-scientific testing, the woofer outputs from the bike play frequencies higher than we can hear... we tested the tweet output too and it topped out around the same point as the woofer output... so both play fairly high... or our hearing is shot and we can't hear over that frequency anyway... separating the mid and tweet didn't make a difference either. I am using a component set so I can amplify each separately.

So, based on all that, one set of channels will be used for both and i will use the Kicker crossover and just stick it in the speaker cavity.
    This is all good info. The woofer outs are full range? THANKS! Can you give part #'s for the Kicker crossover and all you plan to use? Are these linx accurate?

PXA 300.4? to see PXA 300.4

Kicker xover? to see Kicker Xover
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I will say that the woofer outputs seem to be full range. Without access to a real time analyzer I can't say for sure, but using a tone generator on my phone via Bluetooth to the Spyder it played beyond my hearing ability...

Yep, PXA 300.4.

Speakers we are using are the Kicker KSS650 and they come with a crossover.. using these as the local shop was out of the CS series... downside is that the KS tweets are silk dome so need to be super careful with water... the woofer I'm not so worried about... the CS have a titanium dome. But any coax or component in theory will work... marine grade would be best for water...

The 6.5"s one guy said only took minor modifications to the console to fit... his definition and mine are different... it will take some cutting and some fiberglass to make it right... i think he cut a bunch out and epoxied a Rockford 6.5" pod in... there is a YouTube video showing his end result.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Read thru this whole tread and my original question hasn't been answered.
    What size speakers will fit a 2020 F3 Limited that doesn't involve cutting?

Spyder Garage

None. Only the stock will fit without any modification. Noone has found a drop in that is that exact size of 4.5".
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    What is the (electronic) difference between the F3 LTD and RT 2020 ? The sound is very BETTER on the RT 2020.
    Thank for your answers

Spyder Garage

I've been trying with little success asking BRP to reveal this information. The parts catalogue indicates there are no differences between the 2018/2019 and the new 2020 speakers in either model Spyders. The 4.5" proprietary speakers look identical when I had them out side by side from my 2018 and from a 2020 F3s. Clearly there IS a significant difference in volume output in the former model years regardless of which Spyder you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jpat88 View Post
    Hi,
    What is the (electronic) difference between the F3 LTD and RT 2020 ? The sound is very BETTER on the RT 2020.
    Thank for your answers
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpat88 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank for your answers
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I've been trying with little success asking BRP to reveal this information. The parts catalogue indicates there are no differences between the 2018/2019 and the new 2020 speakers in either model Spyders. The 4.5" proprietary speakers look identical when I had them out side by side from my 2018 and from a 2020 F3s. Clearly there IS a significant difference in volume output in the former model years regardless of which Spyder you have.
    Ryders you need to make sure you are comparing the same source. Use the FM radio for a true comparison of the systems. You may just have a different source volume problem. This is of course a WAG.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    None. Only the stock will fit without any modification. Noone has found a drop in that is that exact size of 4.5".
    you are correct ... the 4.5" is a custom size .... nobody sells that size in the after-market .... it is easy to enlarge the hole and use a 5.25 standard speaker ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Identical sources were used to test volume output differences from the 2020 to the previous model year Spyders.

Example:
    - FM radio tuned to identical station set at the same percentage of volume output
    - Phone plugged via USB using BRP Connect playing particular song at set volume output
    - BT tunes playing particular song at set volume output

It made no difference whatsoever. The 2020 model Spyder (F3's or RT's) volume out is significantly louder by nearly 35% more.

I've requested if BRP addressed the volume output via the software. They can't or won't answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Ryders you need to make sure you are comparing the same source. Use the FM radio for a true comparison of the systems. You may just have a different source volume problem. This is of course a WAG.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Default Sound system add on for 2015 spyder F3 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi all Spyder Riders,

Has anyone ever added or modified F3T's original speakers for something better?

I like the integrated radio and that I can stream music from my iPhone directly through the USB cable, but i'd like to improve the sound quality.

I was thinking about changing the front speakers or to add something in the rear (I don't have the BRP top case).

I I had something in the rear, will I need to purchase the BRP rear amplifier or can I add any after market one ?

Any comment or experience is appreciated as always !

Thanks
    I added a complete sound system to my roadster
    Kenwood BMM 528 Bluetooth radio
    JL M400/4 am
    Rockford fosgate T series 6x9 2 way speakers for rear bags i installed
    Polk audio 5.25 front MM series
    Had to custom build brackets for all improvements and add ons but experienced in this
    The choices were proven in qualiity from a harley build and used for 5 years now so i repeated the components for the roadster
    Insane sound and very loud and clear

I mounted a pair of old harley bags to the rear which i had previously on the harley and exchanged for stretch bags
    They already had 6x9 cut outs
    I had to build the front speaker enclosures but used materials from Lowes
    A combination of PVC 22 degree 4 inch elbows with a 4 to 5.5 inch hose adaptor
    Turned out pretty decent i feel
    P clamps and aluminum angle were used for the mounting
    I uploaded images but not sure if they will show up here

Speakers can be added into the rear side compartments as i have done this before as well
    Its just time consuming but worth the effort if you love good tunes

Spyder Garage

Very creative on the enclosures. Never would have thought of sewer pipe adapters! Did you say you don't use the factory audio at all?

I love polk audio DB speakers. Used 6.25s on my GL1800 goldwing.

to see GL Audio Page

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    For those of you that are reading this very good discussion. For the most part it applies to F3T 2017 and older. The audio system is very different in the 2018s. There is not a separate radio module. It is part of the gauge. There is only one amplifier module and it drives all 6 speakers.
    Do you have ay spec like Ohms or wattage for the amp?
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fhartell View Post
    Read thru this whole tread and my original question hasn't been answered.
    What size speakers will fit a 2020 F3 Limited that doesn't involve cutting?
    The Polk Audio DB501 are a direct replacement but they offer no noticeable sound difference that I could hear. The Show Chrome Accessories 13-104 4 1/2" 2-Way Neodymium Speakers also fit, but not as good as the Polk, and still offered no sound improvement.

Spyder Garage

My 18 F3L also has crappy sound. I am bringing it up to a guy who is going to replace all of the speakers with new ones that are much better than the ones I have now. Also connecting a second amp to power them. I am hoping this makes a big difference in how it sounds.

Spyder Garage

Would be appreciative of an update of your upgrades. I’d like to find a solution to increase the volume output while keeping the Spyder speaker aesthetics looking stock.

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    My 18 F3L also has crappy sound. I am bringing it up to a guy who is going to replace all of the speakers with new ones that are much better than the ones I have now. Also connecting a second amp to power them. I am hoping this makes a big difference in how it sounds.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3T speaker upgrade.

I did a 2017 F3T upgrade a few years ago and used all the factory controls. We are getting ready to do some upgrades on it shortly. Used 2 Rockford amps, 4 JL 1" tweeters, 4.5 kickers in the dash with tweeters, 2 6X9s in the saddle bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Where is the factory amp located

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalinepsm View Post
    I did a 2017 F3T upgrade a few years ago and used all the factory controls. We are getting ready to do some upgrades on it shortly. Used 2 Rockford amps, 4 JL 1" tweeters, 4.5 kickers in the dash with tweeters, 2 6X9s in the saddle bags.
    Hi where is the factory amp located

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Casper722 View Post
    Hi where is the factory amp located
    It depends on what year Spyder you have ..... from 2010 to 2017 there was a separate radio/stereo, then BRP incorporated it the dash cluster ..... Mike