Spyder Garage

Default Drive Belt alignment issues

2014 RT spyder SM6 36,000 miles

I am having issues with my drive belt not staying aligned. I had my rear tire replaced Fall of 2017, "Canam Dealer Medford Oregon". After riding
    approximately 2,000 miles the belt shifted to the left of the rear sprocket. I had the front sprocket removed and inspected, they also inspected
    the belt and rear sprocket, aligned the belt and sent me on my way "Canam dealer Lamar Texas", 400 miles later the belt came out of alignment again.

Would one of the belt tensioners available help keep it aligned?
    Is this a known issue?
    Is there a fix?

Thanks for any help

Spyder Garage

A tensioner is just that. The solution is an experienced, reliable technician. At 40+ miles and on my fifth rear tire my belt rides in the same place it did when I rode it out of the dealership on day 1.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem after having a new tire installed by a "stealership." The rear wheel was not aligned correctly, resulting in abnormal wear on the right side of the tire, so I had another dealer-a good one-replace the tire and align the rear wheel correctly. The first dealer no longer sells or services Spyders. Gee, I wonder why.......
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

The alignment and axle torque were not done correctly. A belt tensioner cannot correct that.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT ALIGNMENT

I've got a lot of Spyder miles under my belt ..... The belt moves on the Sprocket way more than people believe ..... Most times during a ride , when I stop I'll often check the belt/sprocket alignment ..... most times it has moved from when I last looked at it..... this doesn't concern me at ALL .......it's very long belt and even the slightest vagary in it's manufacture will improve the chances of it wandering .............jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both our RT and F3 have been correctly aligned for over a year. They are the same every time we stop. We run Vibration Dampers on both. Not saying that a Vibration Damper will stop a wandering belt, but Mike does not use one on his Spyder. I believe that properly aligned and tensioned belts should keep their alignment. If they are not then it is either a technician issue or a mechanical issue. I would find someone else to adjust it and see how that goes.

I have adjusted several that were ryding the inside rear sprocket flange so bad that they had a rubber smell when they road up. When adjusting them I found that in extreme cases, it has temporarily lengthened the inside of the belt, making it out of true. Almost impossible to adjust, but if you stop it from being jammed against the inner flange, it will eventually equalize and be able to be correctly adjusted after a few thousand miles. I don't have any science facts, other than how the belt behaves. With it having Kevlar in it it is not going to act like a normal cage belt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The alignment and axle torque were not done correctly. A belt tensioner cannot correct that.
    I did not understand this reply. I understood the alignment part, but what axle torque are you referring to here?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mebgardner View Post
    I did not understand this reply. I understood the alignment part, but what axle torque are you referring to here?

Thanks.
    I beleve he is refering to not having the correct torque on the axle nut ( it should be 166ft#) so if to light the axle maybe shifting causing the belt to move.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

When torquing the axel, it is important to make sure the axel does not move after correctly aligning the belt. I use a rubber mallet to smack the axle wrench to make sure the adjustment dogs are tight before tightening the axle nut. Then, I tighten it most of the way and re-check alignment. After I am satisfied, I torque the nut to specs.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I beleve he is refering to not having the correct torque on the axle nut ( it should be 166ft#) so if to light the axle maybe shifting causing the belt to move.
    I torque to 130#...then my back starts to hurt--I'm saving the 166# in case i purchase a semi--tractor trailer.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave_mairs View Post
    2014 RT spyder SM6 36,000 miles

I am having issues with my drive belt not staying aligned. I had my rear tire replaced Fall of 2017, "Canam Dealer Medford Oregon". After riding
    approximately 2,000 miles the belt shifted to the left of the rear sprocket. I had the front sprocket removed and inspected, they also inspected
    the belt and rear sprocket, aligned the belt and sent me on my way "Canam dealer Lamar Texas", 400 miles later the belt came out of alignment again.

Would one of the belt tensioners available help keep it aligned?
    Is this a known issue?
    Is there a fix?

Thanks for any help
    Jack the rear tire off the ground & let it spin slowly in 1st gear. Check to see how much run-out you have on the rear sprocket.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black