Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dreaded seat again

Is it the seat or is my butt is broken. The stock seat had me squirming at mile 50 with no relief after a short stop. My ultimate seat is good to around mile 80 and with a 10 minute stop good for another 80. Should I try another seat or is this normal? I have never been comfortable on longer rides no matter what I was riding so it's probably me.
    2015 Rt S Se

Spyder Garage

Russell Day Long. The best by most anybody's standards. I'm on number seven. You can spend a ton of money on seats but if you buy Russell you will only spend it once.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I can cure your sore butt problem

There is no need to buy an expensive new seat..............
    All you need is one of my Motorcycle Dave's Seat Gel Kits. $79.95 that should fix the problem
    Call me 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony 44 View Post
    Is it the seat or is my butt is broken. The stock seat had me squirming at mile 50 with no relief after a short stop. My ultimate seat is good to around mile 80 and with a 10 minute stop good for another 80. Should I try another seat or is this normal? I have never been comfortable on longer rides no matter what I was riding so it's probably me.

Spyder Garage

I suggest these all the time because they made a big difference for me. https://ldcomfort.com/Mens-Riding-Shorts.html

Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    There is no need to buy an expensive new seat..............
    All you need is one of my Motorcycle Dave's Seat Gel Kits. $79.95 that should fix the problem
    Call me 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    While it may be you, rather then spend a whole bunch of money on another seat that may not work,follow Dave's suggestion. I don't have your problem,Except for a 1969 Norton I have been able to make do with the seat on any bike I rode. Until the Spyder. It was a 2 hour seat at best. I bought Dave's gel pad and installed it myself,with his help by phone. You will find him to be very personable,VERY HELPFUL,and very available. That change took my seat from a 2 hour ride to an all day rider day after day. I think with your past experience this cheaper mod will help you decide whether or not it is you for a lot less money,and it may just solve your problem. If not,your not out much. Even buying a power staple gun I was into the seat for around $100.00.I am not an upholster and if you feel such a mod is beyond you a real upholster could do the job fairly cheaply. Good luck in your quest. Nothing is more miserable then trying enjoy a motorcycle you can't get comfortable on.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-18-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

80 miles is about right for monkey butt if you're not a conditioned long distance rider. At 80 miles it's a good idea to stop and take a break, shake it off and loosen up for 10 or so. Not a bad practice for safety reasons and to recharge your internal stay alert batteries; if you know what I mean. And yes, Russell's day long is an excellent choice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forget about all of the Asses in here, who are telling you what to do!
    You only need to listen to ONE Ass: your own!
    Everybody has their own level of comfort, and how to achieve it: happy shopping; while you find yours!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can vouch for MotorcycleDaves Gel pads.
    And also try some LD Comfort shorts, if you haven't already.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/ld-comfort-shorts-review/

Also ---- https://alaskaleather.com/collection...pskin-buttpads --- or any like product, quite a few makers out there.
    Last edited by HayRog; 06-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It's all about ergonomics

Anyone who tries to give you advice without knowing the details of you and your bike setup is not being very helpful. You need to provide more information if you want meaningful advice.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Drivers Seat

My two cents. I've got an Ultimate seat and an Air Hawk. Can ride out a tank of gas.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

2AB4B3FD-A5AA-466C-93A2-1A4E32CEC0AF.jpegNothing wrong with my seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    My two cents. I've got an Ultimate seat and an Air Hawk. Can ride out a tank of gas.
    So can I, but mine is a Spyder comfort seat and I don't use anything else.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You are not alone. One complaint against 's is the seat. On the five I have owned--the OEM seemed to turn into mush at about 50 miles.

I have replaced the seats on all five--usually within 500 miles of purchase. Also have used sheepskin gel and airhawk.

Currently, both seats are BRP Comfort. I find them much better than OEM.

There are many threads and recommendations from each one touting the brand they use. Unfortunately, you have to work through that to find the one that "suits" you.

Visiting a gathering of 's will give you an idea what's out there and what will work for you. Good luck with the hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the same darn problem I thought it was just me. So someone told me to get in touch with alaskaleather.com so I am going to give them a try.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Our combo is Motorcycle Daves Gel Pad inserts in the stock seat. Alaska Leather Sheepskin pads over the seat.
    We've done multiple, back to back, 600 mile plus days in comfort.

That's just us and our butts though. YBMV

Spyder Garage

Here's my 1 cent solution that has worked for me for several years on a stock seat. An Airhawk R inflatable cushion. Doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but it has for me, and it takes all of one minute to install. I had to experiment with how much or little air until I found my "sweet spot", but I'm happy with it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have an Ultimate seat but I still rotate in a gel seat I picked up at Costco. I change up my seating pressure points by alternating the two when I stop for gas, which is about every hour and a half on a long trip.

Spyder Garage

My theory on the stock Spyder seat issue is that BRP builds the seats using the same foam (density) as they use in their Ski-Doo line, which seems to work fine at winter weather temps. In other words, the foam they use is too soft. YAMMV.

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree,works all the time for me

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Forget about all of the Asses in here, who are telling you what to do!
    You only need to listen to ONE Ass: your own!
    Everybody has their own level of comfort, and how to achieve it: happy shopping; while you find yours!
    The trouble is, you need to listen to all these Asses in here to know what options are available to you, Bob .

Dave’s gel insert may be brilliant, but I have never had any luck with gel inserts. They just don’t work for me, but it’s obvious that Dave’s insert does work for many.
    Having tried virtually every seat and option out there, my first option now when buying a new bike is to head straight to Russell Day Long where they guarantee their tailored seat will give you all day comfort. They have not failed me on my last 5 bikes .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We use Air Hawks over the stock seats. Seems to work. By the time our butts start acting up, it's time to stop a bit. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The trouble is, you need to listen to all these Asses in here to know what options are available to you, Bob .

Dave’s gel insert may be brilliant, but I have never had any luck with gel inserts. They just don’t work for me, but it’s obvious that Dave’s insert does work for many.
    Having tried virtually every seat and option out there, my first option now when buying a new bike is to head straight to Russell Day Long where they guarantee their tailored seat will give you all day comfort. They have not failed me on my last 5 bikes .

Pete
    Where do you get those in Australia ?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Having recently transitioned from a Harley Ultra to the RTS I found the CanAm seat to be the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. Partly due to the foot and leg ergonomics with my height. I finally ran across another rider who had a Corbin custom seat on his bike and he let me sit on it. I immediately ordered one for myself and I love it. It moves the rider back about one and a half to two inches, which makes a huge difference. We just returned from Tennessee where we spent a couple of 6 to 7 hour days riding the Smokey Mountains and the Tail of the Dragon 2 up. Stopped for a break about every two hours and it was great. The seat is terrific. Not so much the price. They're pretty pricey and I wouldn't bother to order the rider back rest if I had it to do over. It sits too high up and doesn't really provide any lumbar support. Before you spend the money, track down someone who has one and try it for yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Where do you get those in Australia ?
    Day-Long, Pete? You don’t get them here. You buy a second hand stock seat in the US, get it shipped to Russell, send Russell your on board photos and requirements, shell out $150 for shipping, et voila........a custom Day-Long seat magically appears on your door step to provide seating bliss.

I have been caught out getting a Mustang shipped over, only to find it doesn’t work for me, and then either having to ship it back (much more expensive going from Aus to US), or trying to find a buyer out here. I now don’t bother with anything but DayLong, and just factor that cost into my purchase price

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red