Spyder Garage

Default Mirror mount ideaso

Good afternoon, well I finally removed my mirrors for the 1st time, I was worried like everyone else abut breaking them, it took a few good wacks to get them off but I did it okay. Yep, a very poor design. Before I put them back on I sprayed the holes and posts with white lithium grease and it helped get them on and off again.Would like magic mirrors but the price is kinda crazy. To me it looks like I could remove the bottom 2 clips and use them for a template to make solid metal ones and drill the holes in them. Then I would need to find magnets to get. Anyone know the width, thickness and hole size to get? I also thought about using the super strong Velcro we ushere for our tollway transponders on the bottom 2. Once you put it on your windshield and transponder it never comes off.Thanks, Mike.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good afternoon, well I finally removed my mirrors for the 1st time, I was worried like everyone else abut breaking them, it took a few good wacks to get them off but I did it okay. Yep, a very poor design. Before I put them back on I sprayed the holes and posts with white lithium grease and it helped get them on and off again.Would like magic mirrors but the price is kinda crazy. To me it looks like I could remove the bottom 2 clips and use them for a template to make solid metal ones and drill the holes in them. Then I would need to find magnets to get. Anyone know the width, thickness and hole size to get? I also thought about using the super strong Velcro we ushere for our tollway transponders on the bottom 2. Once you put it on your windshield and transponder it never comes off.Thanks, Mike.
    That velcro idea sounds intriguing.

There was a thread about 9 months ago from a guy who made his own 'magic mirrors'. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=magic+mirror
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-13-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Well now that they are sooooooooooo easy to get on ...... a good bump and they are quite likely to FALL OFF .....how do I know this .....because some people her have had them FALL OFF and they weren't slathered with white grease ...... At $80.00 a set, if you think that's expensive how about $250.00 plus when the mirror falls off and shatters .... If you want to leave them Greasy better put a Safety Tether on them ........ I made my own Mirror Magnets and the amount of time it took to get them right probably cost about $300.00 per set .......... best of luck with this ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror mounts are on a diet.. just a smidge of lube is healthy

I prefer to keep my mirrors on a L0-Cal diet with just a wipe of syngrease from my tube. 3 RTs and over 150,000 miles and haven't lost one yet. Just put on Lamonsters LEDs on the 15 RT and as usual, wiped the crud off both pieces and then a "smidge" over the posts and ready to roll....JMO...YMMV...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well now that they are sooooooooooo easy to get on ...... a good bump and they are quite likely to FALL OFF .....how do I know this .....because some people her have had them FALL OFF and they weren't slathered with white grease ...... At $80.00 a set, if you think that's expensive how about $250.00 plus when the mirror falls off and shatters .... If you want to leave them Greasy better put a Safety Tether on them ........ I made my own Mirror Magnets and the amount of time it took to get them right probably cost about $300.00 per set .......... best of luck with this ...... Mike
    I'm already putting tethers on/ They weren't to easy to get on/off just easier. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Thread police here (JK), are we talking ST's in the ST ShopTalk forum, or are you referring to RT's? Just had to ask to clarify?
    I thought the value of the Magic Mirror mounts was in the simplicity of installing them and R&R'ing the mirrors every time I do an oil change or other body panel removal maintenance.
    Worth it. I'm not a maker, I'm thankful for all the modification genus' on this forum, so press on with the ideas.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That velcro idea sounds intriguing.

There was a thread about 9 months ago from a guy who made his own 'magic mirrors'. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=magic+mirror
    This guy has a good idea.
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This guy has a good idea.
    If you go this route, let us know how it works for you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thread police here (JK), are we talking ST's in the ST ShopTalk forum, or are you referring to RT's? Just had to ask to clarify?
    I thought the value of the Magic Mirror mounts was in the simplicity of installing them and R&R'ing the mirrors every time I do an oil change or other body panel removal maintenance.
    Worth it. I'm not a maker, I'm thankful for all the modification genus' on this forum, so press on with the ideas.
    Sorry, this shoulda been in RT not ST
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

when Velcro first came out Chrysler experimented with the idea of using it to assemble cars. After a 100,000 mile test they brought the car back in to examine the fender they had attached with Velcro and found the Velcro held just fine but most of the safety screws they put in had fallen out. Don't know if that story is apocryphal or not but it makes a good story.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze