Thread: Rear brake

Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake

Hi all

Iam new to the spyder i have a 2017 rt and needed a new rear tire replaced same could not get calper back on did some on line looks form and you tube remove pad shims and calper went on, Road test and rotor and calper so hot it burnt my hand, i can not find what is wrong turned piston in and cked e brake cable and let out some fluid but no good!!
    Has any one had this trouble??
    Thank You Rich.
    Bike has 6200 miles onit no trouble be fore this.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmm... did you make sure the axle spacers went back in the same way?

"2017 rt and needed a new rear tire replaced same could not get calper back "

Hi Dolittle,

Sounds like maybe the brake caliper is in a bind or not centered like it was to the disk... Maybe the caliper holder bracket is not quite like it was, or the wheel is offset now if the axle spacers got mixed up?? The wheel should spin freely once you have it back in with very little brake drag---just some thoughts..
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure....

Some models had shims that needed to be installed to space the caliper evenly on the disc. Unless you had to add fluid that should not be the problem same goes for the park brake. If brakes were applied when caliper was off this would make it hard to install and the would drag causing heat from friction. Piston should have been retracted prior to reassembly. You should remove the caliper check the disc for warpage set the caliper back as it was retracting the piston just enough for a loose fit then pump up the brakes and test it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dolittle View Post
    Hi all

Iam new to the spyder i have a 2017 rt and needed a new rear tire replaced same could not get calper back on did some on line looks form and you tube remove pad shims and calper went on, Road test and rotor and calper so hot it burnt my hand, i can not find what is wrong turned piston in and cked e brake cable and let out some fluid but no good!!
    Has any one had this trouble??
    Thank You Rich.
    Bike has 6200 miles onit no trouble be fore this.
    Did you R & R the rear wheel? if so did the rotor contact anything. The rotor is very easy to warp if pressure is applied to the side. That can cause it to heat up as it turns causing the caliper to get very hot.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default dam hot

Had the same issue, had to buy a new caliper as I could not get the e brake ratchet to work properly,
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black