Thread: Sturgis

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Sturgis

Who is headed to Sturgis? This year is check off my bucket list Sturgis trip. First year of retirement and we are combining a few visits in the same trip. Will be trailering in the toyhauler and spending 6 days in and around Sturgis.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Make the Deadwood Rally first then hit Sturgis, IMHO Sturgis is highly overrated just like Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras . 40 years ago a lot more fun but now just a reason for a lot of bad behavior. A great time to go to Sturgis is a week BEFORE Bike Week, you can still get the experience but miss most of the crowd and some of the stupid people. Enjoy your trip, once you ride the Black Hills you will understand why the Sioux fought so hard to hold on to it.
    Road trip Gillette WY 027.jpg 4th July ride to Black Hills 008.jpg 4th July ride to Black Hills 030 (800x412).jpg Mt. Rushmore.jpg Sturgis.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Make the Deadwood Rally first then hit Sturgis, IMHO Sturgis is highly overrated just like Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras . 40 years ago a lot more fun but now just a reason for a lot of bad behavior. A great time to go to Sturgis is a week BEFORE Bike Week, you can still get the experience but miss most of the crowd and some of the stupid people. Enjoy your trip, once you ride the Black Hills you will understand why the Sioux fought so hard to hold on to it.
    Road trip Gillette WY 027.jpg 4th July ride to Black Hills 008.jpg 4th July ride to Black Hills 030 (800x412).jpg Mt. Rushmore.jpg Sturgis.jpg
    x 2. Black Hills: One of my favorite places to visit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 3 WHEEL EVENT

Sturgis is ok, if you like a party with 1,500,000 people in attendance....
    you need to look at the 3WHEEL EVENT in Deadwood starting on July 10th... Deadwood is just down the street from Sturgis, and in my humbled opinion, is a better bet...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

We'll be going to Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally and getting outta dodge before the dumb arrives in town for the Sturgis Rally. There is NO way I could deal with that many people. I hope that the Deadwood Rally is somewhat limited to under 1000 folks. Less is more for rallies in my opinion.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Those who previously posted are correct. Even during the Deadwood Three Wheel Rally people will be arriving for the Sturgis Rally. Been

there numerous times. First time was 1967 and rode a BSA 441 from Minneapolis. My hands are still numb from the vibration. It is exciting

at times and you will have to be tolerant of the crazies and Loonies. First time I have seen a couple riding a Harley Totally Naked. Yep and

many more things that will shock most.

After attending many times our general operandi was arrive two to three weeks early and leave opening day. All the venders and crazies

will be there two to three weeks early also. We will make a couple of runs to Sturgis to have a beer at the Broken Spoke and One eyed

Jacks during the TWR.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Besides the traffic another reason to come here early (or late) is to avoid the fleecing of the bikers. Everything gets crazy expensive during the Rally. The smart ones have learned to either come early and catch the first few days or arrive toward the end then stay after it is done. The really crazy stuff has moved to the smaller towns nearby in WY due to increased Law Enforcement presence in Sturgis.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Those who previously posted are correct. Even during the Deadwood Three Wheel Rally people will be arriving for the Sturgis Rally. Been

there numerous times. First time was 1967 and rode a BSA 441 from Minneapolis. My hands are still numb from the vibration. It is exciting

at times and you will have to be tolerant of the crazies and Loonies. First time I have seen a couple riding a Harley Totally Naked. Yep and

many more things that will shock most.

After attending many times our general operandi was arrive two to three weeks early and leave opening day. All the venders and crazies

will be there two to three weeks early also. We will make a couple of runs to Sturgis to have a beer at the Broken Spoke and One eyed

Jacks during the TWR.

Jack
    got to try the Loud American for their steak tips while you are there if you haven’t ...
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    got to try the Loud American for their steak tips while you are there if you haven’t ...
    My Favorite Steak Tips are at the Longhorn in Sundance , you can stop there on the way or coming back from Devils Tower.
    4th July ride to Black Hills 032.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip. I am a little like the guy who said "I never met a man I didn't like" except in my case I never met a meal I didn't like!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default RAPIDSYPDER

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Thanks for the tip. I am a little like the guy who said "I never met a man I didn't like" except in my case I never met a meal I didn't like!

​Jack
    Jack;
    maybe you, RAPIDSPYDER and i can meet for lunch at the LOUD AMERICAN....? I LOVE STEAK TIPS.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a destination ride to me, or at least a waypoint. Only about 15 minutes up Boulder Canyon from Deadwood!

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default I'll be there!

I'm going with some friends. While I'm not that interested in Sturgis, we are going early to see Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and the Badlands national parks. We will catch the first couple days of Sturgis and then head home. We will be able to say we've been there! But that really isn't the part I'm looking forward to.
    2016 F3 Limited
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Spyderpops lighted bumpskid
    Lamonster LED headlights

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

-Maria Robinson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMarie View Post
    I'm going with some friends. While I'm not that interested in Sturgis, we are going early to see Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and the Badlands national parks. We will catch the first couple days of Sturgis and then head home. We will be able to say we've been there! But that really isn't the part I'm looking forward to.
    Sturgis Rally or Deadwood? Deadwood 3 wheeler rally is 10-15 July and the Sturgis Bike week is 3-12 Aug. Just wondering, since got we off on a bunny trail talking about steak tips....
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 06-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Sturgis Rally or Deadwood? Deadwood 3 wheeler rally is 10-15 July and the Sturgis Bike week is 3-12 Aug. Just wondering, since got we off on a bunny trail talking about steak tips....
    Sturgis!
    2016 F3 Limited
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Spyderpops lighted bumpskid
    Lamonster LED headlights

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

-Maria Robinson

Spyder Garage

We rode 1,500 miles to Sturgis last year, 1,000 miles while I was there, and 1500 miles back home. No Problems. We stayed in Hill City. They reported about 500,000-600,000 people would be there over two weeks. We are starting a 30 day ride July 7, going west and ending up in Sturgis again this year and I expect to enjoy it again.....Every biker should go at least once in their life time. Lets Ride.........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I plan on going to Sturgis. I did missed last year. I have missed 4 years out of 44 years. My first time was 1955. Then I never went back until 1977 and have missed 4 time since then. Here is a picture of my first trip riding a 1949 Harley. I am on the back bike.

1955.jpg
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I plan on going to Sturgis. I did missed last year. I have missed 4 years out of 44 years. My first time was 1955. Then I never went back until 1977 and have missed 4 time since then. Here is a picture of my first trip riding a 1949 Harley. I am on the back bike.

1955.jpg
    Now that is a classic picture.You should have a quality enlargement made,frame it and hang it on the wall. Great picture.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Now that is a classic picture.You should have a quality enlargement made,frame it and hang it on the wall. Great picture.
    I have one in office on the wall. There use to be one in our local bar in my home town. I am the only one living. I was 16 years old and the other three were 18 at the time. We had travel Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Hills. We camp the hole trip except one night and stayed that night in Custer, So. Dakota.
    Last edited by gerald37; 06-25-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I have one in office on the wall. There use to be one in our local bar in my home town. I am the only one living. I was 16 years old and the other three were 18 at the time. We had travel Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Hills. We camp the hole trip except one night and stayed that night in Custer, So. Dakota.
    Excellent. Hope you also have the story preserved?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Trip is confirmed!

Well the trip to the Sturgis Rally is confirmed. Unlike some of you, we will not be riding the Spyder to get there. Being in the latter half of the 60's it would be a long ride. I could probably do it, but the wife could not. So we will be bringing the Spyder in our Toyhauler. It will be over 3500 miles roundtrip not counting all the sight seeing side trips around the Black Hills. Our first stop will be Michigan for a few days visiting friends and taking in a Pig Roast. . Toyhauler will be in the campground and all our local travel will be on the Spyder. From Michigan we are heading west to Rapid City SD, probably overnighting on the way. We have a campground reservation in the Black Hills west of Rapid City where the toyhauler will be parked for the next 6 days. It will be all Spyder then. . In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser. We will be touring Deadwood, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and all points in between and around. We are really looking forward to this trip as it is the first time we ever vacationed or traveled and didn't have to rush to get back to go to work.

I hope to see lots of Spyders there.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Jack;
    maybe you, RAPIDSPYDER and i can meet for lunch at the LOUD AMERICAN....? I LOVE STEAK TIPS.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Sounds Great!

​Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

1955.jpg
    See guys and gals, there was no atgatt in those days and Helmuts were not even thought of. Not sure if "Beer" was even invented yet!

​Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    It will be all Spyder then. . In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser.

Enjoy the trip and most of all reconnecting with your daughter after so many years.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default last 4 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Well the trip to the Sturgis Rally is confirmed. Unlike some of you, we will not be riding the Spyder to get there. Being in the latter half of the 60's it would be a long ride. I could probably do it, but the wife could not. So we will be bringing the Spyder in our Toyhauler. It will be over 3500 miles roundtrip not counting all the sight seeing side trips around the Black Hills. Our first stop will be Michigan for a few days visiting friends and taking in a Pig Roast. . Toyhauler will be in the campground and all our local travel will be on the Spyder. From Michigan we are heading west to Rapid City SD, probably overnighting on the way. We have a campground reservation in the Black Hills west of Rapid City where the toyhauler will be parked for the next 6 days. It will be all Spyder then. . In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser. We will be touring Deadwood, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and all points in between and around. We are really looking forward to this trip as it is the first time we ever vacationed or traveled and didn't have to rush to get back to go to work.

I have gone the last 4 years and going again this year. The crazies seem to be in small areas for the most part. You are staying far enough away you will have no troubles. If you stayed at the Chip or other big name places you may run into a few rowdy people that have had a few. I stay in a quiet clean campground outside of town about 12 miles and have never had any problems. Traffic in town and parking in town is where you find that the number of people come into play. There are lots of people, but the 75th was the only year where it was out of control. If you are friendly others are too. Just don't get in a hurry and life and your vacation will be good. The others are correct for it being less crowded before and after, but don't let their fear of crowds infect you. A fun and safe time can be had by all.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark