Thread: First time 2-up

Spyder Garage

Question First time 2-up

I picked my wife up at her office today and we headed out to lunch on our F3-S.

I was driving and immediately noticed the difference in handling in the curves . I could also definitely feel the inadequacy of the rear shock.

I've read on here lots of suspension upgrade suggestions, sway bar, rear shock upgrade, shock adjusters, etc, but I need to prioritize. So, what's going to make the biggest difference?
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Well

If it's suggestions....start with the rear shock good for both of you. Then the sway bar then if still needed the shock adjusters or shocks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderChris View Post
    I picked my wife up at her office today and we headed out to lunch on our F3-S.

I was driving and immediately noticed the difference in handling in the curves . I could also definitely feel the inadequacy of the rear shock.

I've read on here lots of suspension upgrade suggestions, sway bar, rear shock upgrade, shock adjusters, etc, but I need to prioritize. So, what's going to make the biggest difference?
    The priorities for the F3 depend on what YOUR priorities are, Chris. If you are going to travel 2 up, then an upgraded rear shock is top of the list. Nothing kills a ride faster than constantly bottoming out, with the accompanying banging on the back of your helmet and the shouts of “LET ME OFF”. You can then take your time determining exactly where the “handling in the curves” difference lies, and prioritise accordingly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you are already leaning a bit towards the inside of the curve and planting the outside foot--the passenger should be following your movements.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-13-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you are already leaning a bit towards the outside of the curve and planting the inside foot--the passenger should be following your movements.

Don't listen to him.... (Must be cocktail time in Alaska) Lean a bit towards the INSIDE of the curve and plant the OUTSIDE foot. Have passenger do the same.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't listen to either of them lol - only an f3 rider will understand! (Leaning inside/outside foot weighting is great, but first fix the bottoming out shock)

You are spot on - the stock rear f3s Shock is rubbish- I am not big, ride one up, and have replaced with brp two up shock. Husband is taller and not so light and has elka rear on his f3s .

Start with rear shock then consider anything else - but rear shock is essential.
    Last edited by loisk; 06-13-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you are already leaning a bit towards the outside of the curve and planting the inside foot--
    Wait......what ??

Isn't that backwards ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Wait......what ??

Isn't that backwards ??

Yup! I caught two of you now. And no cocktails so far today.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oh, it's an F3 and I have never ridden one. I don't know what I am talking about...... Commence Cocktail Hour.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-14-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi