Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Ahh well, all good things....

Still, if you're reasonably OK with getting the tupperware off & stripping/soldering wire (or comfortable using those cheapie crimp connectors! ) then it's not really all that hard to wire the headlights up to work as 4-eyes - the plugs that we get here in Oz on the back of the hi-beam lights are actually the same as those on your 2-filament hi-lo car headlights, just minus the lo-beam terminal & feeding the single filament hi-beam globe that's factory installed for Oz/EU spec Spyders. You can buy the terminals to fit in that vacant spot, and then add the necessary wiring to energise all 4 lights on hi-beam without worrying about those diodes - effectively, you're just replacing the terminal & wire that BRP deleted in order to make the hi & lo beam lights work in isolation.

Hey, if you really want to, you could even convert/revert your upper hi-beams to hi-lo headlights by adding that wire & terminal and installing twin filament globes in the upper position, and that way, you can either choose to keep the lo-beam lights as is/where is; or you can add the BRP Fog light switch to the bridging wire & turn them back into Fog lights!

Btw, you can buy (or you could?!? ) an OE 'Accent light' kit to fit into those little spots up in the top corners of the upper light fittings; the wiring & assy's are plug & play. The only hard part about fitting those accent lights is actually removing each of the upper light assy's to get at the back of them, then finding the correct sized hole saw and drilling out the blanking placcy 'fake lens' - if you don't get the drill/hole saw in EXACTLY the right spot it'll make the accent lights look reeeeaaallly ugly & mess up all the shiny placcy reflector inside your headlights!! . But get it right, and those upper accent lights look pretty good. While you're at it, you may notice that there's similar looking little 'fake lenses' in the lo-beam/fog light assy's too - don't be fooled, they ARE fake, and fitting anything into them is a right pain for no real gain - and bloody hard to get at too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Still, if you're reasonably OK with getting the tupperware off & stripping/soldering wire (or comfortable using those cheapie crimp connectors! ) then it's not really all that hard to wire the headlights up to work as 4-eyes - the plugs that we get here in Oz on the back of the hi-beam lights are actually the same as those on your 2-filament hi-lo car headlights, just minus the lo-beam terminal & feeding the single filament hi-beam globe that's factory installed for Oz/EU spec Spyders. You can buy the terminals to fit in that vacant spot, and then add the necessary wiring to energise all 4 lights on hi-beam without worrying about those diodes - effectively, you're just replacing the terminal & wire that BRP deleted in order to make the hi & lo beam lights work in isolation.

Hey, if you really want to, you could even convert/revert your upper hi-beams to hi-lo headlights by adding that wire & terminal and installing twin filament globes in the upper position, and that way, you can either choose to keep the lo-beam lights as is/where is; or you can add the BRP Fog light switch to the bridging wire & turn them back into Fog lights!

Btw, you can buy (or you could?!? ) an OE 'Accent light' kit to fit into those little spots up in the top corners of the upper light fittings; the wiring & assy's are plug & play. The only hard part about fitting those accent lights is actually removing each of the upper light assy's to get at the back of them, then finding the correct sized hole saw and drilling out the blanking placcy 'fake lens' - if you don't get the drill/hole saw in EXACTLY the right spot it'll make the accent lights look reeeeaaallly ugly & mess up all the shiny placcy reflector inside your headlights!! . But get it right, and those upper accent lights look pretty good. While you're at it, you may notice that there's similar looking little 'fake lenses' in the lo-beam/fog light assy's too - don't be fooled, they ARE fake, and fitting anything into them is a right pain for no real gain - and bloody hard to get at too!
    I understand what your saying, to get all 4 running on high beam, but without using a diode cant understand how the high beam wont be getting energized when using just low beam????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I understand what your saying, to get all 4 running on high beam, but without using a diode cant understand how the high beam wont be getting energized when using just low beam????
    Just the same as it doesn't get energised on most cars when you select low beam.

There are 2 separate circuits, one for low beam, one for high beam; the only common thing between them is that they use the same earth wire. When you select low beam, only the low beam circuit gets energised, so only the low beam globe &/or filament in the globe gets power - the high beam circuit and globe/filaments are completely separate and have no power being fed to them while you have low beam selected. However, when you select high beam, you can choose to activate & therefore energise ONLY the high beam circuit (as currently occurs) so that only the high beam globes/filaments will light up; or you can power BOTH circuits and by doing that, you'll provide power to all 4 globes/filaments, high and low. But they are still completely separate circuits, albeit sharing a common earth.

Make sense??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just the same as it doesn't get energised on most cars when you select low beam.

There are 2 separate circuits, one for low beam, one for high beam; the only common thing between them is that they use the same earth wire. When you select low beam, only the low beam circuit gets energised, so only the low beam globe &/or filament in the globe gets power - the high beam circuit and globe/filaments are completely separate and have no power being fed to them while you have low beam selected. However, when you select high beam, you can choose to activate & therefore energise ONLY the high beam circuit (as currently occurs) so that only the high beam globes/filaments will light up; or you can power BOTH circuits and by doing that, you'll provide power to all 4 globes/filaments, high and low. But they are still completely separate circuits, albeit sharing a common earth.

Make sense??
    The bit I was getting at is on high beam having the lower set of lights lit also.

Spyder Garage

The bit I was getting at is on high beam having the lower set of lights lit also.
    Yeah, understood that. But since your Hi beam & Lo beam lights each have individual circuits, that's not an issue - if you wire the switching to power all four lights (ie, both hi & lo beams) when you've selected hi beam, then just like in most cars (that generally DON'T have diodes installed ) you've simply got both circuits activated. And when you switch back to lo beams only, you've only got power going to the lo beam lights so they're the only lights shining. No power to the hi beam globes/filaments, No hi beam lights.... .

But if you know & are more comfortable with adding diodes &/or anything else, then do it that way - after all, it's your Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2021 at 07:05 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, understood that. But since your Hi beam & Lo beam lights each have individual circuits, that's not an issue - if you wire the switching to power all four lights (ie, both hi & lo beams) when you've selected hi beam, then just like in most cars (that generally DON'T have diodes installed ) you've simply got both circuits activated. And when you switch back to lo beams only, you've only got power going to the lo beam lights so they're the only lights shining. No power to the hi beam globes/filaments, No hi beam lights.... .

But if you know & are more comfortable with adding diodes &/or anything else, then do it that way - after all, it's your Spyder.
    Dont get me wrong, I appreicate your input and advice and am taking ity all in, I guess until I pull it all appart to install the led's the bits of the puzzle will fall into place...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dont get me wrong, I appreicate your input and advice and am taking ity all in, I guess until I pull it all appart to install the led's the bits of the puzzle will fall into place...
    First, if you haven't already, get a service manual for about $25 US. One good source is www.canammanuals.com. The wiring diagram will help a lot.

The US/Canada versions have a jumper in the headlight side of the left headlight connector. It feeds back to the power input side of the low beam relay so when the lights are on bright the headlight bulbs are powered through the low beam feed. The high beam feed only operates the shutter. I suggest you get the wire pins for an AMP/TE 1.5 connector and make a jumper like what is on the US version. Then when you have high beams on the low beam relay will be activated also. On low beam only the low beam relay is activated. I would post a diagram but I'm away from home and don't have a copy of the manual on my laptop.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ok LedS arrived and installed, however while I had the high beams out can not see anyway a h4 bulb would fit. I used a fuse splitter from the high beam sides of things and using a diode bridge to the trigger pole on the low beam relay, So nowe have all 4 lights going when switched to high beam. When I eventually get a workshop manual am thinking of trying to wire up the "push to talk" button as a high beam flash switch as is what i'm used to on nearly all my past bikes. I love your h4 idea and would love to figure out how to do it...

Spyder Garage

Can you give me more info regarding your twin filiment idea please, only twin filiment i know of is h4's?????????

Spyder Garage

Check out the plugs on the back of your Hi-beam lights - they are identical 3 pin plugs to those on many twin filament globes in car headlights. The light assy's themselves are Projector lights that will take a twin filament globe (if necessary, modded appropriately to take an H4, or an HB5, an H7, an H11, an H13, or even a D2S, or..... whatever, there's probably more) and as such they'll work with the emitted beam to project a Hi OR a Lo beam light, if that's what you want to do. Or you could use the Hi beam light to trigger a relay to supply power to the Lo beam lights at the same time, giving you all Four lights....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

i've got an expensive pair of H4 LEDS from a past bike, will have to make up an adapter to go from the H4 plug down to the existing type plug we currently have....

Spyder Garage

i've got an expensive pair of H4 LEDS from a past bike, will have to make up an adapter to go from the H4 plug down to the existing type plug we currently have....
    The OEM wiring plugs on my 2013 RT plug straight onto an H4 globe?? It's just that the Lo-beam terminal isn't actually present in the OEM wiring, but it was easy enough to bridge up from the lower lights wiring & insert the terminal - it's a large spade terminal. You can buy them from most Auto parts shops &/or Auto Electricians, & they simply slide in & click/lock into place.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Mine being the 2014 RT the plug at the back of my upper lights are the same as the lower lights sockets, but you got me think now making an adapter up, I'll do the smart thing and take pic's when I pull them off again...