Thread: Low cost GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Low cost GPS

I would like to get a GPS for my F3, but I don't really want to spend a lot of money for one at this time like the Garmin 590 series GPS units. I'm sure I've seen these units posted here before, but would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with these cheaper GPS units from China? Is this one of those buyer beware Items and you get what you pay for? I'm not looking to cut down any other GPS products, but as I said I'm just looking for something cheaper at the moment and If doesn't work out, it's also not a lot of money spent as well. Anyone out there with information on these units would be helpful. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Car-GPS...wAAOSwjvJZUKkp

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out Garmin and TomTom gps units on Amazon. You can get a GPS with lifetime maps for less than that Chinese unit on eBay. They won't be waterproof, but chances are the Chinese ones on eBay aren't either. I know that I would much rather buy a known product for about the same money and have something that actually works, rather than throw it away on something that runs a high risk of being garbage.

Or, you could wait and save till you can get one of the top end Garmins for your Spyder.

Just my $.02 worth.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Check out Garmin and TomTom gps units on Amazon. You can get a GPS with lifetime maps for less than that Chinese unit on eBay. They won't be waterproof, but chances are the Chinese ones on eBay aren't either. I know that I would much rather buy a known product for about the same money and have something that actually works, rather than throw it away on something that runs a high risk of being garbage.

Or, you could wait and save till you can get one of the top end Garmins for your Spyder.

Just my $.02 worth.
    ........ On E-bay I've seen older ( but still new un-sold ) Garmin's with the larger 5 1/2" screen for around $50.00 .... As far as waterproofing goes ....I wrap mine with one layer of household plastic wrap, it's been in the rain plenty of times and never got wet ( inside ).... I made my own shield / visor from thin cardboard and painted it ....even that has survived ...... heck from what I hear almost all smart phones have a GPS feature ...... good luck, Mike ...... PS, have you pulled Dee's fuses ( 4&5 ) to see if that's Her radio reception issue.....It was on mine .....

Spyder Garage

Default Own this one

Had mine for about 2 years. Got me out of some situations where my Google Maps were off line because of reception. I have used it in driving rain as it is totally water proof. With the included visor and I put the nighttime screen on for daytime driving, I can see it better in full sun light.
    What a GPS does over my google maps is I can see about 15 square miles of local terrain. When I am in a unfamiliar area looking around, I can spot a small park or place of interest which is not visible on my phone. I have discovered countless interesting places from my GPS screen that I would have had no clue was nearby on my Google phone screen.
    I can upload rides off the internet and record rides to share. I put in no interstate, or major roads when touring and I get a route 66 type of adventure. No manual needed as it's all in the menu options.
    If someone can name a feature the top line Garmin has that they actually use I would like to know what that feature is?

I read a comment from a member who bought it didn't like it. I contacted the member and ask why she said not to buy it as I steered her toward it? She said she struggled with set up or something vague like that. IMO, with any device you are new to, a person has to have some basic tech skills. As a turn by turn device it is among the best rated IGO Navigation software in the world.
    This is my 2nd one on two different bikes and they have been bullet proof for me. I consider them disposable because of the price.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, This is all good information!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    Thanks for the replies, This is all good information!
    Many people use their "smart phone".
    Those GPS apps really are quite good.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I use the Map program on my IPhone and it works great

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Had mine for about 2 years. Got me out of some situations where my Google Maps were off line because of reception. I have used it in driving rain as it is totally water proof. With the included visor and I put the nighttime screen on for daytime driving, I can see it better in full sun light.
    What a GPS does over my google maps is I can see about 15 square miles of local terrain. When I am in a unfamiliar area looking around, I can spot a small park or place of interest which is not visible on my phone. I have discovered countless interesting places from my GPS screen that I would have had no clue was nearby on my Google phone screen.
    I can upload rides off the internet and record rides to share. I put in no interstate, or major roads when touring and I get a route 66 type of adventure. No manual needed as it's all in the menu options.
    If someone can name a feature the top line Garmin has that they actually use I would like to know what that feature is?

I read a comment from a member who bought it didn't like it. I contacted the member and ask why she said not to buy it as I steered her toward it? She said she struggled with set up or something vague like that. IMO, with any device you are new to, a person has to have some basic tech skills. As a turn by turn device it is among the best rated IGO Navigation software in the world.
    This is my 2nd one on two different bikes and they have been bullet proof for me. I consider them disposable because of the price.
    Dennis
    Which GPS are you talking about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm using a secondhand Garmin Nuvi, easy to come by on CL since nobody uses them much anymore mounted with a RAM mount and a custom made sunscreen hood. The GPS is always on when the bike is on and you dont futz with taking it on and off every time you dismount to go somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default MyRouteApp & MyRouteNav

I understand that you are talking about a GPS, but there's also a solution if you have a smart phone.

MyRouteNav is an application for Iphone or Android phone that can download maps locally on your phone. So, cellphone signal is not necessary.

MyRouteApp.com is a website where you can create some route. I was using the application Tyre for many years and this website is their new version. Very user friendly and very easy to use.

Having tried at least 10 differents iphone Nav app in the past 3 years, this combination is by far the best one I used.

You can also modify or creat new route on your phone and drive them directly with the turn by turn app.

It really worth a try.

The web site for creating route can be used freely but the navigation app needs a yearly registration.

Hope this helps !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

I usually use Genius Maps (iPhone only) since it has offline maps, traffic-based rerouting, and BRP Connect integration. But for sharing or importing routes via GPX files, I use inRoute (also iPhone only). It excels at route planning and features turn-by-turn navigation, importing/exporting routes, etc.

http://carobapps.com/products/inroute/
    http://www.geniusmaps.com/en

Safe travels,

Richard

2018 RT Limited
    Can-Am Driver Backrest
    Tricled Wide-Vu mirrors
    Spyderpops grips
    FOBO TPMS
    Lamonster Spyder Cuff
    Ram mount w/ X-Grip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I posted this when I had my F3-S I now have the same setup for my F3-T

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Simple-approch

Spyder Garage

Default iPad Mini

I picked up a used iPad Mini at a really good price from Game Stop. It is the Wi-Fi version with the smallest amount of memory. I connect it wirelessly to my iPhone for the Internet connectivity, and use Google maps for GPS. With this set up, I get a much more responsive touchscreen than any dedicated GPS, with an easy to read screen that shows me a lot more of the upcoming road ahead, surrounding roads, and traffic conditions in the area. This is beneficial to me, because I often times lead rides with no particular predefined route. It’s also nice to use Siri to verbally pull up a radar, and then to verbally switch back to google maps.

Just another option to consider. RAM Mount makes an iPad mini holder

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I would like to get a GPS for my F3, but I don't really want to spend a lot of money for one at this time like the Garmin 590 series GPS units. I'm sure I've seen these units posted here before, but would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with these cheaper GPS units from China? Is this one of those buyer beware Items and you get what you pay for? I'm not looking to cut down any other GPS products, but as I said I'm just looking for something cheaper at the moment and If doesn't work out, it's also not a lot of money spent as well. Anyone out there with information on these units would be helpful. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Car-GPS...wAAOSwjvJZUKkp
    My TomTom works damn fine in both the car and the Spyder … takes nothing to swap it between when ever I need too!
    Attached Images Attached Images