Spyder Garage

Default Have RT want F3 limited. Want input.

I have a 15 RTS. Rode an 17 F3 limited. I like the cruiser seating position better and it has better power steering. Question what are the downs or problems with F3 if any over the RT.
    Last edited by JP58; 06-14-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I personally love my F3. No downs I've discovered so far. Seems like a personal preference thing. I do "hear" that 2up feels better on a RT, but I have zero experience with that as a solo rider.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The F3 for sure has the looks. Also a sportier ride. Most find the OEM shocks to soft for two up riding. Luggage space is also much less.

The RT is the BRP version of the Gold Wing Touring couch. More luggage capacity, and much better two up riding accommodations. Starting to look a bit dated now--not many changes since its inception in 2010. New engine config. in 2014 though.

I am on my third RT. Tried the F3 but never got past the test sit. Did not find the ergos comfortable.

A big decision--I would recommend another test ride or two. Money wise--about the same or maybe the F3 a bit more. I usually make the statement that BRP has managed to make the F3 less, for more. Riders on the site, don't care. A big change over from RT to F3 for a lot of dyed in the wool riders.

Let us know what you decide. Either way--I am guessing you will be a happy camper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The F3 for sure has the looks. Also a sportier ride. Most find the OEM shocks to soft for two up riding. Luggage space is also much less.

The RT is the BRP version of the Gold Wing Touring couch. More luggage capacity, and much better two up riding accommodations. Starting to look a bit dated now--not many changes since its inception in 2010. New engine config. in 2014 though.

I am on my third RT. Tried the F3 but never got past the test sit. Did not find the ergos comfortable.

A big decision--I would recommend another test ride or two. Money wise--about the same or maybe the F3 a bit more. I usually make the statement that BRP has managed to make the F3 less, for more. Riders on the site, don't care. A big change over from RT to F3 for a lot of dyed in the wool riders.

Let us know what you decide. Either way--I am guessing you will be a happy camper.
    (To the red), You've mentioned this in several treads. I believe the OEM shock issue you are referring to is on the F3 & F3S, not the F3L that the OP is looking at. The F3L & The F3T have a air suspension similar to your RT and have no 2-up issues in the stock configuration!

As far as the F3 & F3S for 2-up, I have over 25,000 miles on them (probably 20,000 2-up), and it can work excellent with the switch to a $200 2-up shock in the rear! Also, having driven both the RT and the F3 series, if handling is a priority, the F3 series is a much better handling machine.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have owned 2 RT's ( 2012 RTS & 2015 RTS ) prior to my purchase of the 2017 F3L. I loved both of my RT's but I always felt cramped on them. I stand 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam, so I do have long legs. I switched to the F3L because I wanted more comfortable leg position, not a bent position but a more straight leg position. I have ridden 2 wheels for many years prior to the Spyder, and I was looking for that type of riding position and I think the F3 delivers that. I did give up some storage space when I made the switch, but I can adjust to that.

There are several other things that I don't like between the RT & F3. First off is the windshield on the F3L. Well it really isn't much of one. It offers little to no protection from the wind. I guess I'm spoiled cause I really liked the adjustable windshield on both my RTS's. Secondly is the rear shock. The F3 is meant to be a one person bike with no passengers. I weigh around 240 LBS. and the rear does bottom out on some bumps or railroad crossings. With 2 people on it, it is even worse. I do ride mostly one up on the bike, but the wife does from time to time ride with me. So a rear shock upgrade is needed for 2 up riding. Thirdly is the passenger floor boards. On the RT's you could flip the boards up out of the way if you didn't have a rear passenger. On the F3, if you flip the boards up, they hit the side panels. Over time in the flipped up position I'm sure it will leave marks on the panels. Don't think this was thought out much. And lastly is the rear trunk. I just think it is very cheaply made. It just feels cheap to me. The RT's were just more solid feeling. Don't get me wrong, I do love my new 2017 F3L but BRP could of added some better quality items since the F3 Limited is priced close to the RT.

Forgot one thing, and that's the seats. You would of thought after 10 years of manufacture that BRP would of listened to their customers and made the seat better on all their models. Maybe they have tried, but came up short. Well then there is Farkles, which makes your bike your own. The list of Farkles is unlimited. Farkles make your bike more comfortable, more visible and more road worthy. Thank you Farkles!!!!

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The answer to your question is really one of personal preference and to a degree, one’s physical characteristics. My likes/dislikes are many times different than those of others. In my experience, I like my ‘17 F3L hundreds of times better than my previous RT.

I had over 54K miles on the RT. I’m guessing 80% of those miles were 1up. I’m told by those who have been a passenger on my RT and F3 that the ryde is more comfortable and “secure” on the RT. For me, the driver I much, much, much prefer sitting “in” the F3, rather than “on” the RT. I love the way the F3 handles and “feels” in all respects.

I did install an F4 windshield, which for me is perfect. I don’t ever recall adjusting the windshield on the RT. I look over the shield and never had a reason to raise it.

From a suspension and handling standpoint, my F3 is stock. I find zero issues with the OEM setup. My foot boards (Lamonster’s) are set at position 3, which for me stretches my legs out perfectly. I have never, ever “bottomed out”, either one or 2 up.

In my opinion, the things I pack, the way I travel are better suited to the storage components of the F3. I can haul at least an equal amount on the F3L as I did in the RT.

My only wish would be than the F3 had the 2 stage heated grips found on the RT. So, back to personal preference. If you’re not sure, ryde and re-ryde both until you are. Good luck in your quest.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    The answer to your question is really one of personal preference and to a degree, one’s physical characteristics. My likes/dislikes are many times different than those of others. In my experience, I like my ‘17 F3L hundreds of times better than my previous RT.

I had over 54K miles on the RT. I’m guessing 80% of those miles were 1up. I’m told by those who have been a passenger on my RT and F3 that the ryde is more comfortable and “secure” on the RT. For me, the driver I much, much, much prefer sitting “in” the F3, rather than “on” the RT. I love the way the F3 handles and “feels” in all respects.

I did install an F4 windshield, which for me is perfect. I don’t ever recall adjusting the windshield on the RT. I look over the shield and never had a reason to raise it.

From a suspension and handling standpoint, my F3 is stock. I find zero issues with the OEM setup. My foot boards (Lamonster’s) are set at position 3, which for me stretches my legs out perfectly. I have never, ever “bottomed out”, either one or 2 up.

In my opinion, the things I pack, the way I travel are better suited to the storage components of the F3. I can haul at least an equal amount on the F3L as I did in the RT.

My only wish would be than the F3 had the 2 stage heated grips found on the RT. So, back to personal preference. If you’re not sure, ryde and re-ryde both until you are. Good luck in your quest.
    I've test rode the F3 and like it much better. I've always had cruiser bikes. It wasn't an option for me back in 2015 since they didn't have a rear trunk yet. The 16 F3 limited just came out. The wife only rides a few times a season and a one week or less trip we take with friends. I would get the trunk extender and redo the rear seat to level it out for her.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue