Spyder Garage

Default My simple shelf for RTL rear compartment

I've had this for a few years now, and decided maybe someone else would like to make it also. Not complicated at all, but works for us while out riding and not wanting to hold everything in pockets or lose it in the bigger compartment spaces. Others have addressed this issue I'm sure - this is just "my way". I used a piece of 1/4" pegboard I had laying around, but many things would work I'm sure. I've included JPG sketches (2) that you can use to make 1 complete template for each half, but I caution all...….make sure you check your printout for correct overall sizes as I note on the sketches.
    You can scale JPG up or down if needed in Excel, but I couldn't find ANY program I have that would print the JPGs at PERFECT SIZE the first time. So much for 100% sized copies of things from printers

FYI - Part of my reason for making the shelf this way is because I can put it in or take it out easily in 2 pieces, without fighting the compartment sidewalls, etc.
    Oh BTW, the underside (which is usually UP in ours) is covered with household rubber shelf lining matl. so things don't move around much. Also, the forward lip sits on top of the "dinner plate" Velcro area BRP installed, and the rear edge sits just inside the lid closing ridge.

Any questions, please just let me know. Complete shelf.jpgSpyder RTL deck shelf part2.jpgLeft side.jpgRt side half.jpgSpyder RTL deck shelf part1.jpg
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I've had this for a few years now, and decided maybe someone else would like to make it also. Not complicated at all, but works for us while out riding and not wanting to hold everything in pockets or lose it in the bigger compartment spaces. Others have addressed this issue I'm sure - this is just "my way". I used a piece of 1/4" pegboard I had laying around, but many things would work I'm sure. I've included JPG sketches (2) that you can use to make 1 complete template for each half, but I caution all...….make sure you check your printout for correct overall sizes as I note on the sketches.
    You can scale JPG up or down if needed in Excel, but I couldn't find ANY program I have that would print the JPGs at PERFECT SIZE the first time. So much for 100% sized copies of things from printers

FYI - Part of my reason for making the shelf this way is because I can put it in or take it out easily in 2 pieces, without fighting the compartment sidewalls, etc.
    Oh BTW, the underside (which is usually UP in ours) is covered with household rubber shelf lining matl. so things don't move around much. Also, the forward lip sits on top of the "dinner plate" Velcro area BRP installed, and the rear edge sits just inside the lid closing ridge.

Any questions, please just let me know. Complete shelf.jpgSpyder RTL deck shelf part2.jpgLeft side.jpgRt side half.jpgSpyder RTL deck shelf part1.jpg
    Nice solution!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to do that! Nice idea, thanks!!!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Looking great

well done with this one! Now I want one

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done

Is a nice solution and the little holes let the old gym sox in the bottom breath... like that you can open just half rather than take out all the upper stuff to get to the bottom...congrats I'm sure it has served you well...love the DIY stuff...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHELF IDEA

" DIY'ers "- ROCK ...I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it .... I've DIY'ed so many things on my RT I have to keep a list because I can't remember them all when asked ..... Soooooooo I think I have to make one ...... Thanks , .. Mike

Spyder Garage

Nice job,now thats on my list for things to do,thanks.,