Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Why do you say that? I've been looking through the w/s all the years I've been riding a Goldwing and Spyder. I use the w/s, not the face shield, to keep the wind out of my eyes.
    This has been the standard for the 68 years I have been riding. Almost anyone with long time riding experience would tell you that. I would guess some of the reasons would be no W/S distortions, better dynamics, better wind flow i.e. carbon monoxide and others. And last but not least, lack of wind therapy.

I use the same method by lowering my W/S on my Spyder. Most ride with a full face Helmet with shield or at least a face shield as they should to protect eyes. Looking through the Face Shield and the W/S will normally give some distortion and a small percent of visibility loss. Of course this does not apply to the "Gold Wing" rider that rides with shorts, penny loafers, a t-shirt and no helmet. He needs the biggest W/S he can find!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

with the concept of looking over the windshield/screen, but even more especially about wearing a helmet with face-shield or goggles to protect your eyes!! The damage that flying bugs & debris can do to the unprotected eyes of someone riding on a motorcycle is really something horrific to see, and a windscreen alone just isn't enough to stop the stuff that it needs to in order to minimise the exposure!!

Hey, after seeing the damage that can be caused by just a tiny bit of grit travelling at speed, I even stopped wearing a helmet with just a faceshield that is open at chin level!! These days, it's either a full face helmet with a closed shield, or a good pair of impact resistant glasses or goggles that fit closely & seal around my eyes for me - I've damaged/lost too many other bits already to risk my eyes with just the windshield that can (& does occasionally) let high velocity stuff get around it!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Almost anyone with long time riding experience would tell you that. I would guess some of the reasons would be no W/S distortions, better dynamics, better wind flow i.e. carbon monoxide and others. And last but not least, lack of wind therapy.

I use the same method by lowering my W/S on my Spyder. Most ride with a full face Helmet with shield or at least a face shield as they should to protect eyes. Looking through the Face Shield and the W/S will normally give some distortion and a small percent of visibility loss.
    From what I find with Google this easily is another one of those topics like oil and tires where everyone has an opinion and there is no universal consensus, even among Harley riders. In fact, the MSF Motorcycle Operator's Manual doesn't address w/s height at all. They do recommend using goggles or face shield, as in general the w/s is not a substitute for such. I don't recall ever hearing this discussed in any of the m/c training sessions I've been in, either by GWRRA or Idaho STAR.

I don't know why distortion is such an issue. I don't find it to be a problem at all. In fact one of my car windshields had some distortion! I wear glasses all the time. What I do find intolerable is the distortion and polarization caused if I look through my glasses through a face shield through the windshield! I wear a flip up full face helmet. If I close the face shield the inside will fog up very quickly, especially in cool and/or wet weather unless I leave it cracked open. I've tried looking over the w/s with face shield closed driving through rain, but that doesn't work as good as looking only through the w/s. So my experience has been I'm more comfortable looking through the w/s and feel well protected. I like the air that does come through the open face. I think only one time has a bug come through the vent and hit my face. Are my face and eyes totally, absolutely, 100% protected? Probably not, but pretty damn close. All of life is a risk. We all have to live with the degree of risk we're comfortable with.

Of course this does not apply to the "Gold Wing" rider that rides with shorts, penny loafers, a t-shirt and no helmet. He needs the biggest W/S he can find!
    I sure hope you're not implying I'm one of them, because I'm not!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Years ago when shopping for a replacement windscreen for my old Goldwing, the manufacturer suggested that the "correct" height should be when the top of the windscreen is parallel with your nose. That's about where I run even with the adjustable screen.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-28-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Years ago when shopping for a replacement windscreen for my old Goldwing, the manufacturer suggested that the "correct" height should be when the top of the windscreen is parallel with your nose. That's about where I run even with the adjustable screen.
    I came across that recommendation in my Google search, I think by Clearview, w/s makers.

Here's what F4 has to say. https://f4customs.com/index.php?rout...ormation_id=11
    1. How do I pick the proper shield for me?

This is the age old question, “do I look through the windshield or over the top”. It has been our experience with any other windshield due to clarity and rain shedding you should look over the shield. However with the "optical clarity" and "rain shedding" ability of the F4 Customs windshield you now have the option to have extra protection that you can get from looking through and being behind the taller windshields.
    When I bought my windshield from F4 at Spyderfest 2015 I don't recall any discussion at all of looking over vs. looking through. In fact, I bought the tall version so that I would always be looking through.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder, I don't disagree at all. I think F4 make a great product and is pretty much distortion free. I don't get to ride in the rain much. (we haven't had any for 110 days) But when I do, I prefer to look over the windscreen. The rain on the screen plus on my face shield compounds to make visibility more difficult for me. There are times in a light to moderate rain when looking through the windscreen works. But when it gets really nasty, I have to look over it to see. BTW, lived in Seattle over 60 years so I have been in my share of rain. Glad to dry out.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

New update:

Today I took off the 7Jurock windshield and put back on the OEM one. ALL the exhaust fumes are gone. So, for anyone wondering, I still have the extra mudflap on, and of course the trailer hitch with it's mud flap.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Ray, Thank you for posting the rest of the story. Everyone can come to their own opinion on this problem. Good thread and lots of information shared.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

bcer960 I have installed a spoiler on the rear trunk of my 2011 RTLtd. (From Vertica trikes) I have the original windshield up or down mostly down ,I pull an RT 622 trailer, I have no added mud flap and I ride 2up 90% of the time. I have never had any smell of fumes neither did my wife. I’d like to post pictures but I don’t have any right now.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    bcer960 I have installed a spoiler on the rear trunk of my 2011 RTLtd. (From Vertica trikes) I have the original windshield up or down mostly down ,I pull an RT 622 trailer, I have no added mud flap and I ride 2up 90% of the time. I have never had any smell of fumes neither did my wife. I’d like to post pictures but I don’t have any right now.

SilverFox
    I had a quick look at Vertica trikes web site. I could not find a spoiler for the RT(-s) but will spend a bit more time later today. Please post a pick, i would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks
    Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

hello, we are having the same issue. do you have a picture you can share of the extension? Thanks

Spyder Garage

does anyone have a picture of the exhaust tips extended out to minimize the fumes when pulling a trailer and 2 up? Please post.
    I have tried the WS adjustment, have the longer mud flap on the hitch and have the adjustable side vents, but still having this issue.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garyleblanc1 View Post
    hello, we are having the same issue. do you have a picture you can share of the extension? Thanks
    we thought we had fixed the problem. Put the stock windshield back on, took the trailer out a couple times for day trips and had no issues. Then last sept we took our usual 18 day ride which includes the Norcal rally in California, and as soon as we left, we exhaust problem was back.
    The theory now is that when we did the day rides, the trailer was empty, and once full ( or nearly) the bike is working just that much harder, so the exhaust output is more.
    Unfortunatly, after the sept trip, our riding season is over up her in the great white north, and the bike has been put to bed for a couple months already, and will be away until some time in april .

Once out of storage, my first plan is to cut off the 2 pipes that are the final exhaust, and rotate them so they are pointing outwards. I will load the trailer up and take for a spin to see if this improves the issue. If it doesn't, I will fabricate up two that are longer, and gets the exhaust further out into the airstream.

Sorry I couldn't help more. but winter is here, and I don't have a garage.

If you find a solution, please post it here.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

The W/S on my Triumph Trophy has a "lookover" drop at the top. It's perfect and the Triumph owners manual says to set the w/s so that you can see the 50' spot.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

After having little success by changing the angle or length of the OE Exhaust tips, & failing miserably by fitting a/mkt exhausts, I fitted the 'Rivco luggage rack' version of Vertika trykes rear deck spoiler (I think it's the Rivco RT Extendable Luggage Rack) that resolved the tendency for the pillion passenger to get gassed by the exhaust AND stopped the way ryding in the rain or on wet roads sucked water/mist up so it ran ffown the back of her neck.... AND the back of the RT no longer gets anywhere near as dirty, dusty, &/or mud covered where it used to in the past due to the turbulence created by the trunk & saddle bags!!

So I reckon that fiddling around with re-aiming or extending the exhaust tips really won't do a heap to resolve the problem, but fitting a rear deck spoiler or the Rivco Extendable Luggage rack & changing the air flow around the rear will, by significantly reducing the turbulence behind the Spyder & almost stopping it from sucking up the exhaust - it's gotta be far a better solution than extending & re-aiming the exhaust tips!! It might even help keep your trailer cleaner/virtually dust free up front, & it could possibly also be beneficial to your fuel economy while towing, but you'd probably need to keep careful records to see those changes!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2018 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Rivco Extendable Luggage Rack for RT's
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    we thought we had fixed the problem. Put the stock windshield back on, took the trailer out a couple times for day trips and had no issues. Then last sept we took our usual 18 day ride which includes the Norcal rally in California, and as soon as we left, we exhaust problem was back.
    The theory now is that when we did the day rides, the trailer was empty, and once full ( or nearly) the bike is working just that much harder, so the exhaust output is more.
    Unfortunatly, after the sept trip, our riding season is over up her in the great white north, and the bike has been put to bed for a couple months already, and will be away until some time in april .

Once out of storage, my first plan is to cut off the 2 pipes that are the final exhaust, and rotate them so they are pointing outwards. I will load the trailer up and take for a spin to see if this improves the issue. If it doesn't, I will fabricate up two that are longer, and gets the exhaust further out into the airstream.

Sorry I couldn't help more. but winter is here, and I don't have a garage.

If you find a solution, please post it here.

Ray
    Earlier in this topic I made a couple of posts then stepped back based on differences between our RZtS and others. Sorry to read your problems returned.

Granted, we have the 622 trailer, adjustable Can Am side vents, smaller mirrors that I installed, and the F4 windscreen, so certainly differences.

Two things mentioned continue to catch my attention.

First, I did trim a short amount from our stock mufflers exhaust tips. Essentially, I never liked the oem look with the tips protruding.

Second, the mudflap. Curious about your mudflap setup. With the oem Can Am hitch, and the oem hitch mudflap, we without doubt had airflow issues pulling air and water spray upward and forward onto the passengers back and neck. Because of this, I fabricated a mudflap extension for the Spyders oem setup. My extension extends a fair amount below the hitch frame and ball, plus is fairly wide, almost touching the hitch frame. With the mudflap extension installed, and the oem hitch mudflap still installed, this eliminated water spray onto the passengers back and neck.

No doubt, aerodynamically our setup is different. The mudflap extension though was easily fabricated from Kydex material that is inexpensive and basically matches the oem Spyder mudflap finish.

All the best with it, sorry to read the issue returned.
    Last edited by PMK; 11-27-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    After having little success by changing the angle or length of the OE Exhaust tips, & failing miserably by fitting a/mkt exhausts, I fitted the 'Rivco luggage rack' version of Vertika trykes rear deck spoiler (I think it's the Rivco RT Extendable Luggage Rack) that resolved the tendency for the pillion passenger to get gassed by the exhaust AND stopped the way ryding in the rain or on wet roads sucked water/mist up so it ran ffown the back of her neck.... AND the back of the RT no longer gets anywhere near as dirty, dusty, &/or mud covered where it used to in the past due to the turbulence created by the trunk & saddle bags!!

So I reckon that fiddling around with re-aiming or extending the exhaust tips really won't do a heap to resolve the problem, but fitting a rear deck spoiler or the Rivco Extendable Luggage rack & changing the air flow around the rear will, by significantly reducing the turbulence behind the Spyder & almost stopping it from sucking up the exhaust - it's gotta be far a better solution than extending & re-aiming the exhaust tips!! It might even help keep your trailer cleaner/virtually dust free up front, & it could possibly also be beneficial to your fuel economy while towing, but you'd probably need to keep careful records to see those changes!
    Thanks for all the info. I guess it will save me some work. I have been reluctant to purchase a luggage rack for the back, as i really don't like the looks of them. BUT if it fixes the problem, then i guess it's how I will have to go.

Thanks again
    Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Curious about your mudflap setup. With the oem Can Am hitch, and the oem hitch mudflap, we without doubt had airflow issues pulling air and water spray upward and forward onto the passengers back and neck. Because of this, I fabricated a mudflap extension for the Spyders oem setup. My extension extends a fair amount below the hitch frame and ball, plus is fairly wide, almost touching the hitch frame. With the mudflap extension installed, and the oem hitch mudflap still installed, this eliminated water spray onto the passengers back and neck.

No doubt, aerodynamically our setup is different. The mudflap extension though was easily fabricated from Kydex material that is inexpensive and basically matches the oem Spyder mudflap finish.

All the best with it, sorry to read the issue returned.
    I made a longer mud flap for the bike two years ago, when I first got the bike. My wife got soaked in the rain, and I saw what others were doing. I do not have exact measurements, but it a rubber mud flap that I modified to extend about 4" - 5" lower than the hard OEM one. When the trailer hitch was installed, the one I installed is lower than the hitch.
    Earlier this year, on our first trip with the trailer, I did try a couple different things to reduce the exhaust including removing the mud flap I installed, and lifting it over the hitch ( this caused it to snap the screws and I lost the flap) But made a new one when I got home. Neither of these experiments cause any noticeable difference.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

If it helps.
    At the center of the oem mudflap on the Spyder itself, ours is 10 1/4" below the little center point V shape. Almost as low as the hitch mudflap.

Notice also, the exhaust tips are cut basically flush with the mufflers bolted on cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Ok, I guess mine is lower than 5" - 6". it looks very much like yours.
    Thanks for posting

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders